Liquor Smugglers Beware~!! (Multi-ship experiences - merged)

Cruisegirl1, quick question, did you have all wrapped up so it was not able to be seen, I know for the past years we always put into a water bottle or canteen, no way to see it that way, of course I was talking about liquor and not wine, that would be a bit harder, let me know thanks

Have you tasted their wine? We got the wine list and went to the store to get the wine on the list to try before we bought the wine package. It is nasty. We will not be buying the wine package.

We found you're much better off on RCCL if you stay away from the package and just order by the bottle. There are also some decent selections on the Portofino list that don't appear on the list in the dining room. You can often order from that list in the dining room as well as the main wine list.

I was just saying what was our case last year on the Majesty during Spring Break..........I am NOT saying every ship does the same thing.......and like I said, it was because the week before,they had alot of trouble with the spring breakers.............drastic times call for drastic measures,I suppose.......

So it is NOT wrong.........I was there...........I am pretty sure I am a credible cruiser after 37 RCCL cruises..........

Forgive me PH. By agreeing with the poster, I was just referring to the cruise I have been looking forward to,..and we board on Thursday.

Visions of what you said and being treated like some college kid? Not very appealing. So no, I'm certainly not saying you don't know what you are talking about- of course you do! I was agreeing that I hope it doesn't end up like that on Enchantment this week.

We don't "smuggle" so that's one less thing to worry about! :)

Forgive me PH. By agreeing with the poster, I was just referring to the cruise I have been looking forward to,..and we board on Thursday.

Visions of what you said and being treated like some college kid? Not very appealing. So no, I'm certainly not saying you don't know what you are talking about- of course you do! I was agreeing that I hope it doesn't end up like that on Enchantment this week.

No problem.......it just seemed like some did not believe me........Hope you have a great trip..:)

Whoa dude... they have some fine wines, but hardly a comprehensive list, and if anyone knows about spouting... well that would be you.:D A lot of people collect wines of very specific styles and not all styles are available. Plus anyone trying to take wine on board during spring break or during the other times kiddies are en masse on board are probably going to be at increased risk of being unhappy.

jc

jc

I believe I acknowledged as much. I don't disagree with those who say the selection is limited. It's those that suggest all the wine they offer is crap that I think are spewing crap. There are a few very good wines on the list, but as I said, they may not be your particular favorites. But thank you, I guess, for repeating my point in your own words.

Have you tasted their wine? We got the wine list and went to the store to get the wine on the list to try before we bought the wine package. It is nasty. We will not be buying the wine package.

There are some decent wines on the package. I like reds, and the Cline Zinfandel is pretty good, as is the Rioja. The Cabs on the W&D list are pretty mediocre at best. I wasn't really referring to the W&D list, though, when I said they had some very good wines. The full list includes much more than what you can get with the packages.

I was just saying what was our case last year on the Majesty during Spring Break..........I am NOT saying every ship does the same thing.......and like I said, it was because the week before,they had alot of trouble with the spring breakers.............drastic times call for drastic measures,I suppose.......

So it is NOT wrong.........I was there...........I am pretty sure I am a credible cruiser after 37 RCCL cruises..........

Sorry, I didn't mean to say your statement was wrong I just really hope it wasn't a new fleet wide thing.Gezzz

We cruise Liberty 5/24 and I sooo hope this is wrong:eek:

Sorry, I didn't mean to say your statement was wrong I just really hope it wasn't a new fleet wide thing.Gezzz

Sorry,but thats how it came across..........

We can drop this now......:rolleyes:

Restaurants and bringing your own wine.....I guess my Concierge background had kicked into high gear on my original post......the high end restaurants and resorts did not let people bring their own bottles as most of them had very extensive wine lists. I had many angry guests who tried, but failed each time. So I guess it depends on where you live or where you are dining to bring in your own.

Well then your knowledge of High End Restaurants must be very limited. Some of the Higher End I know in the US certainly allow Corkage. Charlie Trotters, French Laundry, Picasso, Prime, Guy Savoy. Per Se all allow corkage. It's illegal in Arizona so if that's where you're basing your opinions, you're right. But outside Arizona it's very much allowed.

Well then your knowledge of High End Restaurants must be very limited. Some of the Higher End I know in the US certainly allow Corkage. Charlie Trotters, French Laundry, Picasso, Prime, Guy Savoy. Per Se all allow corkage. .

Yea but what about Applebees??;)

Okay, dont make fun of me, maybe it is merely a blonde moment....but can you really bring wine/alcohol on board HAL? Because IMHO, if you can bring all the wine you want, I want to bring my martini-mixings! Wait, do I want to sail HAL? Hmmm...

No, it is only wine that is allowed. No beer:( , no hard stuff.

No, it is only wine that is allowed. No beer:( , no hard stuff.

True, but on Princess, Celebrity, NCL, HAL and others you can order the hard stuff from room service by the bottle. To my knowledge, RCL is the only mainstream line that doesn't have this. Carnival might also, never sailed with them.

True, but on Princess, Celebrity, NCL, HAL and others you can order the hard stuff from room service by the bottle. To my knowledge, RCL is the only mainstream line that doesn't have this. Carnival might also, never sailed with them.

Not on Princess.

The new Mariner list isn't fleetwide yet, I don't think, but I'm sure it will be soon. If you're sailing on Mariner, Navigator or a Freedom class ship, you can get a better selection of wines at Vintages, the wine bar onboard. Still not fabulous, and still quite pricey, but there were some good wines in there, too.

We were on the 03/07 sailing w/ cruisegirl and I had my suitcase confiscated for bottle water...and yes, it was bottled water. They had me take the case out of my suitcase to see each bottle....and I'm 48! :) Anyway, there was a bunch of college kids picking up luggage and having their alcohol taken. They stated they didn't know they couldn't bring their own. ???? Other than that, from what I could see, all the spring breakers were well-behaved. PS....Hi Jean!

There was an earlier comment about looking in the checked luggage - Our luggage was locked but apparently scanned.

To the question about wrapping the wine - it was in the original bottle, bubble wrapped and in a large zip-lock bag. Opening it and putting it in another container would have ruined the wine – kinda like drinking what I get on board. There are a few nice high end wines on the list bit the general list is lame. The wines are low average at best.

Also - Most all the higher end restaurants in our city allow you to bring in your wine –as long as it is not on the wine list. The corkage runs from $10-40 per bottle.

And finally - there was absolutely NO PROBLEM walking from anywhere to anywhere with any drink.

Cheers!

M

PS to Tyman – there were only 5 of us posting on the CC bard and two ended up in security! Go figure!

M

We were on the 03/07 sailing w/ cruisegirl and I had my suitcase confiscated for bottle water...and yes, it was bottled water. They had me take the case out of my suitcase to see each bottle....and I'm 48! :) Anyway, there was a bunch of college kids picking up luggage and having their alcohol taken. They stated they didn't know they couldn't bring their own. ???? Other than that, from what I could see, all the spring breakers were well-behaved. PS....Hi Jean!

Did they give you back your water to take onboard?

I just got off Enchantment on Saturday -- We didn't have any trouble smuggling alcohol on in Rum Runners. The staff we were talking to said there were about 300 spring breakers between the ages of 21 and 23 on the boat our week and that the following week (this week) there were going to be 1000. I can definitely assume that is the reason they are checking so thoroughly this week, it was wild enough last week and that was less than a third of the spring breakers this week.

Archived