What a Shame! Casual Dress in Ocean Liners.

jasm8449

Can I say something before this thread gets locked. We always follow the dress code, but what someone else wears does not bother me, of course, I might make comments under my breath, but that's just me in my What Not to Wear Mode, I really don't care whether people stray from the dress code a little, Jeans, Shorts, T-shirt, Hats, etc...is not my definition of a little. But a jacket open neck shirt, even slacks and a polo shirt, I don't care, it's not going to effect my cruise in the slightest.

To all the people who are disappointed, feel their experience has been ruined, participating in the ranting about people not following rules, what have you done about it? have you contacted Celebrity? have you written them a letter letting them know that they are not holding up their end in the dress requirements by not enforcing it? Because ranting on Cruise Critic will accomplish absolutely nothing! You need to go to the source. If Celebrity continues to not enforce it after you have made your feelings known, then please can the dress code threads just go away. Pages and pages of name calling is totally redundant.

Ok folks unless things have changed since I got off my last Celebrity cruise in January these are the official words as to the dress code per evening (I have posted this too many times before):

Ship’s Dress Codes

Following are the required modes of attire for the evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship.

Formal: Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suite and tie.

Ladies: A dressy outfit, Formal Gown or Cocktail Dress.

Informal: Gentlemen: Jacket, slacks, No jeans.

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse.

Casual: Gentlemen: Sports shirt and slacks.

Ladies: Dress, pant suit or sporty outfit.

Please note: Jeans, t-shirts, tank tops, swimsuits, robes, and bare feet are not permitted in the Metropolitan Restaurant at any time. Shorts are not permitted in the Metropolitan Restaurant during dinner times. Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambiance of the cruise.

Now keep in mind that this thread is referring to the specialty restaurants onboard that maintain even a higher scale of ambiance.

What from above is it hard to understand or given a choice for a causal alterative to the main dinning room and S/R do you think you should be except from above and why?

Ok folks unless things have changed since I got off my last Celebrity cruise in January these are the official words as to the dress code per evening (I have posted this too many times before):

Ship’s Dress Codes

Following are the required modes of attire for the evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship.

Formal: Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suite and tie.

Ladies: A dressy outfit, Formal Gown or Cocktail Dress.

Informal: Gentlemen: Jacket, slacks, No jeans.

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse.

Casual: Gentlemen: Sports shirt and slacks.

Ladies: Dress, pant suit or sporty outfit.

Please note: Jeans, t-shirts, tank tops, swimsuits, robes, and bare feet are not permitted in the Metropolitan Restaurant at any time. Shorts are not permitted in the Metropolitan Restaurant during dinner times. Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambiance of the cruise.

Now keep in mind that this thread is referring to the specialty restaurants onboard that maintain even a higher scale of ambiance.

What from above is it hard to understand or given a choice for a causal alterative to the main dinning room and S/R do you think you should be except from above and why?

Have you actually read this thread? it's about the Specialty restaurants now having the same dress code as the rest of the ship. And as you like to post "Policy" here is the quote from Celebrity's website.

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

This is exactly why in my post above, I suggested if you don't like it, please contact Celebrity. Cruise Critic will accomplish nothing.

Oh I see, none of your remarks have been rants or inflammatory, how silly of me!

Oh, no, I ranted, guilty as charged. The only difference is that I was ranting against snobbery and elitism, you were ranting about people not dressing to your expectations.

Have you actually read this thread? it's about the Specialty restaurants now having the same dress code as the rest of the ship. And as you like to post "Policy" here is the quote from Celebrity's website.

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

This is exactly why in my post above, I suggested if you don't like it, please contact Celebrity. Cruise Critic will accomplish nothing.

Yes I have and your point is?:confused:

Oh, no, I ranted, guilty as charged. The only difference is that I was ranting against snobbery and elitism, you were ranting about people not dressing to your expectations.

Does your cancel mine or does mine cancel yours? I guess we are both guilty,eh. However like tipping, auto-tip and deck chair hogs this is a no win topic.

I think junky may be commenting on your post that infers the specialy restaurants have a higher dress code than the main dining room.

just my 2c of interpretation......

Does your cancel mine or does mine cancel yours? I guess we are both guilty,eh.

I would agree to that :)

Guys, this is not intended to fight and I know that as Celebrity supporters, you want a certain type of ambience, but your fight isn't here, take it up with Celebrity. If they aren't going to do anything, then so be it. But it's unfair to tell people they should be cruising different cruise lines.

I think junky may be commenting on your post that infers the specialy restaurants have a higher dress code than the main dining room.

just my 2c of interpretation......

I didn't say that, I said they have a higher scale of ambiance, if you read through post above you will find that a jacket is required on the restaurant confirmations regardless of the attire for the evening. This comes from my first hand experience and others may very.

I think some of the analogies on this thread for not adhering completely to the dress code for formal night are somewhat extreme, but I think this one is very appropriate.

If you received a discount coupon from Celebrity's Captain Club a month after you booked a cruise, would you throw it away since it is only good for new reservations or submit it to Celebrity in case they decide to make an exception for you?

BTW - My gut feeling is that the majority of people who are very critical of passengers that do not adhere to the dress code for formal night would submit that discount coupon to Celebrity, in the example above, in case Celebrity decides to make an exception for them.

I didn't say that, I said they have a higher scale of ambiance, if you read through post above you will find that a jacket is required on the restaurant confirmations regardless of the attire for the evening. This comes from my first hand experience and others may very.

Seeing as the OP stated that people were in Ocean Liners dressed in the appropriate attire of the evening....casual.... I'd say not all of the specialty restaurants are still following the old dress code.

Seeing as the OP stated that people were in Ocean Liners dressed in the appropriate attire of the evening....casual.... I'd say not all of the specialty restaurants are still following the old dress code.

I would tend to agree but my confirmation I got in January clearly stated the new dress requirments (formal on formal nights, not all).

I would tend to agree but my confirmation I got in January clearly stated the new dress requirments (formal on formal nights, not all).

Isn't that exactly what I said...following the dress code of the evening...so "formal on formal nights, not all"

BTW - My gut feeling is that the majority of people who are very critical of passengers that do not adhere to the dress code for formal night would submit that discount coupon to Celebrity, in the example above, in case Celebrity decides to make an exception for them.

Sky, what does this have to do with dress code???:confused: If I got something that state new bookings only I would assume that is what it applied to.

Isn't that exactly what I said...following the dress code of the evening...so "formal on formal nights, not all"

A request for a jacket only doesn't make it formal, that would make it informal or semi formal. I agree with you that the stated dress code agrees with the rest of the ship except for the above.

I'm sure it might vary a little per ship or Maitre'd.

I'm sure it might vary a little per ship or Maitre'd.

You're probably right. And another area that Celebrity has to get it right. If I'm being told by the cruise line one thing and their staff another, I'm not going to be very happy!

You're probably right. And another area that Celebrity has to get it right. If I'm being told by the cruise line one thing and their staff another, I'm not going to be very happy!

I fully agree and consistency in applying the rules would make this all a lot simpler for us all. :)

If I got something that state new bookings only I would assume that is what it applied to.

FYI - New bookings refers to anything booked from that day forward. If you already have a booking that would be considered an existing booking.

For example if you called Customer Service and they asked would you like to make a new booking or discuss an existing booking what would you respond with?

Sky, what does this have to do with dress code???:confused: If I got something that state new bookings only I would assume that is what it applied to.

Hi XCruiser :)

To begin with I observe the dress code for formal night, even though I feel 3 formal nights and 4 informal nights during a two week European Cruise are not necessary for my enjoyment of a cruise. In fact, I would prefer to have just one formal night and country club casual every other night.

However, I don't judge other people who choose to bend the rules a little on formal night by wearing a sports jacket instead of a suit or a nice pants outfit instead of dressier attire.

I also disagree with some of the posts on this board that equate not observing formal night with breaking serious laws that have a detrimental impact on society.

In my opinion, not following the dress code for formal night is not much different than trying to use a coupon for a discount that doesn't apply to your situation and hope that someone at Celebrity will overlook that fact.

letstalkcruising....lovely idea......so that shuts out the folks who legitimately need a family cabin, because they have all been reserved by folks trying to pull a fast one. If no FV is available, do you then lie about requiring a handicapped accessible cabin so you can have one of those for the extra space it provides?

If your FV bait and switch idea catches on, I hope Celebrity has the sense to institute a policy that cancelling the "extra" passengers in an FV means you lose the FV altogether and have to switch to a regular cabin at the current price.

Having just got off our second Princess cruise last month, we were all pretty pleased with their concept of "smart casual" in the dining room for most nights. DH & I have been on 6 Celebrity cruises and while we like the Formal nights, the "informal" nights requiring the gentlemen to wear a sports coat and the ladies a nicer pantsuit or dress are a bit much for a 7 day cruise.

We have done it on a 14 day Hawaii cruise and believe me, it is a lot of packing. At least on that cruise, Karl rented a tux so he could eliminate the suit and extras. We have paid more than once for overweight bags on the airline and he is not a happy camper about it. With the new bag restrictions some airlines are now imposing, it will be difficult to bring that many changes of clothing.

I am not a fan of NCL's "all casual, all the time" and would not consider sailing with them. I still like to see people put forth some effort to make themselves presentable in a public setting. How I dress in my basement at home is not the way I would go out to any restaurant, casual or fine.

A lot of people, young and old, seem to feel that as long as they are covered, it is enough. Doesn't anyone look in a mirror anymore?

Hi XCruiser :)

To begin with I observe the dress code for formal night, even though I feel 3 formal nights and 4 informal nights during a two week European Cruise are not necessary for my enjoyment of a cruise. In fact, I would prefer to have just one formal night and country club casual every other night.

In my opinion, not following the dress code for formal night is not much different than trying to use a coupon for a discount that doesn't apply to your situation and hope that someone at Celebrity will overlook that fact.

Hi Sky Sweet,

I don’t agree with your analogy as being really the same when referring to the published evening dress requirements. It doesn’t bother me if a few people don’t follow the guidelines as published. But what happens if it was 40-50% who didn’t comply with the dress code and insist on dinning in the main dinning room? This would change the ambience and the whole purpose of the dress code or for that matter formal nights which I feel is a valued part of the Celebrity “Experience”.

If you want an analogy how about a restaurant that has a formal dinning area with published dress codes that states what attire is “required”. Say they also have a causal section to allow for those who don’t feel like dressing up to the level of the formal dinning area. If you feel like not dressing up for dinner one evening would you insist on being allowed to dine in the formal area? Would you argue with the management and the patrons as to why they just don’t make entire restaurant causal? Would you inist regardless of the patrons who prefer the formal ambience you be allowed to dine in that section?

You would also have the option to dine access the street where the entire restaurant is causal.

I’m just saying there are plenty of choices for everyone so why insist Celebrity drop the dress code because of your own preference over the majority who sail on the line.

JMHO

It would be interesting to take a poll of just how many of those people who are adamant that everybody follow the dress code rules flaunt the rules of not bringing alcohol on board other than the allowed two bottles of wine.

I would hazard a guess that the results would be very enlightening and that we could throw the whole because its the rule argument away.

You might be surprised. I can't speak for others, but I would never think of flaunting the alcohol rules any more than I would the dress code. You may find that more of the dress-code-supporters than you think really DO believe in following the rules...

As for the coupon example, I CAN speak to that. My father and I had been on a cruise with pod problems (and I had paid for both). We got non-transferable vouchers for future cruise credits that were only good for 18 months. My father wasn't going to be able to sail again within that time window (his allotted vacation time was already spoken for). I called Celebrity to ask if we could transfer his credit to my sister (his daughter). Now, if they had said "no", I would have totally understood and I wouldn't have faulted them for it. Of course, I wouldn't have cruised with them in that window, and very possibly not again (not because I would have been upset with them, but because I had no particular loyalty to any line, and I would have just as soon tried others). They DID make an exception for me. I took the cruise in a more expensive cabin with my sister (using the voucher) and her child for a third-person fare.

Celebrity made money they theoretically would not have made and earned a decent amount of goodwill/loyalty. That's just good business. Now, if they think that it is good business to come right out and tell people that they can dress how they want, that is their business. I imagine it will gain them some fans and lose them others. I'm not sure which way the balance will tilt.

HOWEVER, asking for an exception is different from acting like you've been granted one when you haven't. If they don't specifically grant a specific person an exception, then I maintain that it is incumbent upon that person to dress to code. The fact that some individual maitre d's don't throw you out of the restaurant if you are underdressed is NOT equivalent to being granted an exception!

You might be surprised. I can't speak for others, but I would never think of flaunting the alcohol rules any more than I would the dress code. You may find that more of the dress-code-supporters than you think really DO believe in following the rules...

As for the coupon example, I CAN speak to that. My father and I had been on a cruise with pod problems (and I had paid for both). We got non-transferable vouchers for future cruise credits that were only good for 18 months. My father wasn't going to be able to sail again within that time window (his allotted vacation time was already spoken for). I called Celebrity to ask if we could transfer his credit to my sister (his daughter). Now, if they had said "no", I would have totally understood and I wouldn't have faulted them for it. Of course, I wouldn't have cruised with them in that window, and very possibly not again (not because I would have been upset with them, but because I had no particular loyalty to any line, and I would have just as soon tried others). They DID make an exception for me. I took the cruise in a more expensive cabin with my sister (using the voucher) and her child for a third-person fare.

Celebrity made money they theoretically would not have made and earned a decent amount of goodwill/loyalty. That's just good business. Now, if they think that it is good business to come right out and tell people that they can dress how they want, that is their business. I imagine it will gain them some fans and lose them others. I'm not sure which way the balance will tilt.

HOWEVER, asking for an exception is different from acting like you've been granted one when you haven't. If they don't specifically grant a specific person an exception, then I maintain that it is incumbent upon that person to dress to code. The fact that some individual maitre d's don't throw you out of the restaurant if you are underdressed is NOT equivalent to being granted an exception!

Hi Drew B :)

I agree with you that there is a difference between asking for an exception because of unique circumstances, and acting as if you have been granted one that you haven't.

Archived