Zip ties

I know some of you put zip ties on your luggage so that you can tell if they have been searched. Once you receive your bags how do you get the zip ties off? Some people have mentioned using nail clippers but I thought those could not be packed in your carry on if you are flying. Can someone please help on this!

The TSA lock are probably better severl do indicate if the bag was opened.

Dare I say a box cutter in the carry-on would work as well. :D I say that in jest but given the fake bombs etc...carried thru security lately I wonder if really they would notice a knife etc... I sure hope they would but lack full confidence in TSA. :eek:

Upon returning from our last cruise to Alaska, I found one of those TSA notices that my bag had been searched. The zip tie was undisturbed. Upon closer examination, it appeared as if the security people had simply popped the zipper handle out of the zipper, opened the bag, searched it and reattached the handle. Pretty slick. From now on I'm not bothering to secure the zipper. What's the sense??

Also, I carried a nail clipper on to the airplane which was checked by the security folks. I believe they are now allowed.

We still use the zip ties even tho I am sure they(TSA) are able to bypass that "security measure"...The folks that handle the luggage going to and from airport and the baggage folks at the airport are who we worry about. We hope it is an added deterent. One can hope, right??? LOL

Happy cruising to you all!:D :)

I use the zip ties, with nail clippers in an outside pocket of the bag. I'm less worried about theft, if someone wants to steal from my luggage, it's not like they can't just take the whole bag. I just want to keep the zippers together so that they don't snag on something and get unzipped.

I know some of you put zip ties on your luggage so that you can tell if they have been searched. Once you receive your bags how do you get the zip ties off? Some people have mentioned using nail clippers but I thought those could not be packed in your carry on if you are flying. Can someone please help on this!

Scissors - the smaller the better.

Will this work(we are 1st time cruisers and may not fully understand everything): Claim luggage at airport and use zip ties for luggage to be delivered to cabin (the cruiseline xrays but does not search-correct?) When putting luggage out on last night, use locks (TSA of otherwise). When we claim luggage, change out locks (or leave if we end up getting TSA ones) My concern is more about leaving luggage in the halls the night before (and I think anyone with a nail clipper could take the zips off while roaming the halls) Please let me know what is the best way to handle this issue. Thanks!!!

Will this work(we are 1st time cruisers and may not fully understand everything): Claim luggage at airport and use zip ties for luggage to be delivered to cabin (the cruiseline xrays but does not search-correct?) When putting luggage out on last night, use locks (TSA of otherwise). When we claim luggage, change out locks (or leave if we end up getting TSA ones) My concern is more about leaving luggage in the halls the night before (and I think anyone with a nail clipper could take the zips off while roaming the halls) Please let me know what is the best way to handle this issue. Thanks!!!
Can't tell you the best way. But, FWIW, we put zips on at the airport after we pick up our luggage going to the ship. We have a pair of nail clippers in the outside of a couple of the pieces of luggage. Not all of your luggage may arrive at the same time. If the piece with the clippers is the last to arrive it's difficult (not impossible) to get the zips off without scissors, knife, clippers, etc.

The last night we put zips on when we set the luggage out. We leave them on until we get to the airport and remove them for TSA. Sometimes we have forgotten and the ties were still on when we picked up the luggage at the home airport.

Remember, no system is totally secure. If someone wants in your bag they will get in. Pack any real valuables in your carryon.

JMHO,

Charlie

that's what we do!! (but we usually stay over in port anyway so i change the locks to cable ties then!)

you can carry on a small nail clipper......

the TSA will cut off locks even if they are TSA approved if htey are too busy or too lazy to get the key and if someone wants to get into your bags, they will anyway!

BTW the TSA does NOT have to relock your bags.......they do it if they can and this varies from airport to airport............!!

We don't like TSA locks since not only TSA folks can open them, if ya know what I mean. We use zip ties and make a point of using an 'odd' color like red or yellow. Not the comon black/white ones. It doesn't stop a thief, but it sure makes it very obvious if they do open it so hopefully they are more likely to leave our luggage alone. Nail clippers cut the zip ties just fine and they are now allowed on planes.

Erika

Thanks everyone! May just go with the TSA locks and not worry about it. I don't have anything to hide and will carry camera, money etc. on my carry-on!

TSA locks=WASTE of money. I laugh every time I walk into Phoenix Sky Harbor or JFK. Sitting right on top or next to the baggage screening machine in the AA terminals are a bright red pair of BOLT CUTTERS. They are not there for decoration. They are there because ONLY the supervisor/head honcho has the key/combo to unlock TSA locks. So if the supervisor is on break, out of the office, or just generally disappeared (most likely), the use the BOLT CUTTERS.

I fly a lot (over 30,000 miles in 2+ months so far in 2008). I swear by brightly colored zip ties. I am partial to the bright pink/florescent green. Can spot my luggage a mile away. Put some on the handle, tie the two zippers together, and carry a bunch in my carry on (as well as the nail clippers/scissors).

You CAN carry nail clippers onto the plane, as long as there isn't a nail file attached to them. We use the odd colored zip ties......I am trying to deter the random thief, not the TSA. I've had my luggage searched (found the note inside), but fortunately they have not felt compelled to ruin my luggage......yet.

A thief will get into your stuff no matter what you try to do. I don't use anything....i would rather TSA not have to hassle, and if thief wants my stuff go for it...i'll make it easy....just don't mess up my luggage. If someone wants my socks and undies they can have them....they are made my 8 year olds (unfortunately) in china everyday!

I use regular keyed locks--not the TSA ones! That way--you KNOW if someone has been in your bags, because they'd have to CUT the locks off! (With the ties, they can just put another one on! TSA locks can be opened by anyone with a key--(not all TSA folks are trustworthy) and re-locked.

Even to fly, you don't HAVE to use TSA locks!

You put them in one of the outside pockets of your checked bags. When you get them back, just pull them out of the pocket..

As mentioned, a small pair of scissors or clippers in the outside pocket of your luggage will work. Last year I forgot the clippers (thought my husband had them). I had a pair of cuticle scissors and used them to push the tab in the top of the nylon strip DOWN. Once you do this just pull it and it will slide apart. I didn't even have to use a second one as we left I just reused it.

I use regular keyed locks--not the TSA ones! That way--you KNOW if someone has been in your bags, because they'd have to CUT the locks off! (With the ties, they can just put another one on! TSA locks can be opened by anyone with a key--(not all TSA folks are trustworthy) and re-locked.

Even to fly, you don't HAVE to use TSA locks!

Only if they have the same color as the one I used. I buy 'em in bags with multiple colors. But, what thief is really going to worry about putting a zip tie back on anyway?

The reasons I even use them:

1. It provides some deterrent to "thieves of opportunity".
  2. I will in all probability know if someone opened the baggage.
  3. It may help keep my "dainties" from flying about:eek:

Charlie

Archived