Choose tours now or when onboard?

PIXEYLOU

:p This is our first Alaskan tour. I see that each port has so much from which to choose. The prices vary greatly and we want the best bang for our buck.

The brewery, goldpannig sound like fun and we don't mind walking as long as there is not too much uphill.Is the tram a worthwhile trip also.

Again is it best to book online or when on ship. We are on the Coral Princess for a 4 day land and 7 cruise tour from the 7th of Aug.-Aug.18.All suggestions will greatly be utilized and considered.

Pixey and Ernie;)

While I've never sailed on Princess, the following should be true for most lines.

If there's something you clearly want to do, and would be disappointed if you don't do it, book it in advance, even if you have to pay for it in advance. If you can't decide now, either wait until you're on the ship, or book now, and cancel if you change your mind.

On our line, Regent, you put in requests (not firm bookings), and we've requested four tours. Two we'll definitely go on; the other two might or might not be canceled before departure day.

Some things you can do on your own. In Ketchikan, we'll see the logging show, then explore on our own. In Sitka, we'd like to see the Russian dancers. Direct booking isn't open yet, so we've booked a ship's tour. If we can book privately, we'll cancel the ship's tour and explore on our own. In Skagway, while one can book the railroad independently, it seems less of a hassle to book through the ship. We have an excursion planned for Juneau, but may cancel and see the city (including taking the tram if the weather is good) on our own. Victoria we'll do on our own.

Research things on these boards, then make your choice.

Really popular excursions might fill up before the cruise so if there is something that you particularly want I would book it early. When we sailed on Princess you were not billed for excursions that you book in advance until you actually take the excursion so cancelling is no problem as long as you cancel before the cut-off time (usually 24-48 hours before the excursion). We have been to Alaska twice and are going again this year. We have tried several of the excursions - some we liked and some we didn't.

If you are on a budget you might want to consider finding one excursion that is GREAT but expensive and then find ways to save money on the rest of the excursions. Our big excursion was the Taku Lodge flightseeing and Feast in Juneau. It was wonderful and worth every penny. Then we rented a car in Skagway and drove into the Yukon. There were 4 of us and that excursion wound up costing us $25pp and it was a wonderful trip with fabulous scenery.

Some people say that you have to ride in a helicopter and land on a glacier. Others say that the train in Skagway is a must. The thing is, you can't do it all. Just read these boards and ask for advice and then make a decision. You really can't go wrong in Alaska.

BTW, you are going to LOVE the Coral.

Afaik, Princess does not charge for the excursion until you actually take it.

Last August on the Diamond Princess many of the most popular excursions were full before embarkation. Folks who had been in the habit of booking as soon as they boarded were disappointed that their first choices were unavailable.

Make choices, reserve them now. They are not set in concrete, you can cancel them online before you sail and you can make adjustments on the ship if you do so within the alloted cancellation time.

I am a strong believer on booking your own tours independently. You pay

more on the cruise or its websites. The ships make $$$ off the tours.

You can book online or on phone before hand.

Just email them and make sure you understand their cancellation policy.

Just in case your late or don't go to a port.

Search for coupon books which can give you 2 for 1 on some of the tours.

It took just as many clicks of the mouse to book Independent, I found it faster to book Independent than through the ship, it didn't take as long loading the web page?

Stacym

While I've never sailed on Princess,

the following should be true for most lines.

If there's something you clearly want to do, and would be disappointed if you don't do it, book it in advance, even if you have to pay for it in advance. If you can't decide now, either wait until you're on the ship, or book now, and cancel if you change your mind.

On our line, Regent, you put in requests (not firm bookings), and we've requested four tours. Two we'll definitely go on; the other two might or might not be canceled before departure day.

Some things you can do on your own. In Ketchikan, we'll see the logging show, then explore on our own. In Sitka, we'd like to see the Russian dancers. Direct booking isn't open yet, so we've booked a ship's tour. If we can book privately, we'll cancel the ship's tour and explore on our own. In Skagway, while one can book the railroad independently, it seems less of a hassle to book through the ship. We have an excursion planned for Juneau, but may cancel and see the city (including taking the tram if the weather is good) on our own. Victoria we'll do on our own.

Research things on these boards, then make your choice.

Book it now as everyone has said. You will be able to relax once you get on board and not have to worry about your excursions. Have a wonderful time!

I see you mentioned the brewery tour....... my dh likes to try different types of beer wherever we go( see pics below:) ) and in Juneau there was a bar called The Hangar that is on the pier(bright blue building) and had all kinds of beer. The view from the bar was awesome!

If you will be in Vancouver, make sure you go to at least one of their microbreweries. We went to 3 microbreweries in one day.:D

I strongly recommend, you have all your plans and reservations in place before you leave, even if the "plan" is to wing it. :) Time is short in port, make the most of it.

As only a general suggestion- make the most of the land portion, this is where you are spending big money and has the most potential.

Archived