Solstice...the Promenade Deck has no Promenade.

marinearchit

Anybody else notice this?

On the Solstice's deckplans on Celebrity's site, the deck labeled the Promenade Deck shows no actual Promenade. The next deck, however, shows the lifeboats.

From what I've seen, both the plans and renderings, the ship only has a seperate "promenade area" on each side of the Entertainment Deck to hold the lifeboats. It seems they may obstruct the view from the area since, from the exterior renderings, they basically take up the entire space.

Just wondering if anybody else noticed this.

On the Solstice's deckplans on Celebrity's site, the deck labeled the Promenade Deck shows no actual Promenade. The next deck, however, shows the lifeboats.

From what I've seen, both the plans and renderings, the ship only has a seperate "promenade area" on each side of the Entertainment Deck to hold the lifeboats. It seems they may obstruct the view from the area since, from the exterior renderings, they basically take up the entire space.

I think if you check it, it is really not any different than the rest of the ships in the fleet. They even have similiar rooms and areas on all their promenade decks. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just making an observation.

True. But unlike the other Celebrity ships, Solstice seems to have the lifeboats actually on the promenade, rather than hanging over it. Although I know, of course, they're still hanging on their davits.

celebrity_solstice_3d_800.jpg

See what I mean? Most of the area seems to be occupied by the lifeboats with only a small amount of space having views of the ocean. This is probably just a way to increase available space, but it'd be nice to have a real promenade.

So far, this only makes 2 things I don't like about the design. The other being that there's only 2 sets of stairs and elevators.

The way the bow flattens out at the top is also kind of odd, but I think it makes Solstice more unique, so I like it.

That's something I really like about HAL ships.Those teak wraparound promenade decks that remind you of the glory ocean-liner days.

Even though those ships were before my time one can dream.:o

Shame other mass market lines can't continue the style.

That's something I really like about HAL ships.Those teak wraparound promenade decks that remind you of the glory ocean-liner days.

Even though those ships were before my time one can dream.:o

Shame other mass market lines can't continue the style.

I love the teak wraparounds too....and how about those teak chaiselounges? Beautiful.

Ok... Hopefully this will work.

I took these pictures yesterday during my very stressful week at Seatrade in Miami.

Hope the pics post and hope everyone enjoys them.;)

By the way, these are pics of the Model the Shipyard had in their booth.

548994356_SolsticeFWD.jpg.1c0accf2276029b436c15bbedd743774.jpg

1632873653_SolsticeMidShipHump.jpg.aceee07932eb2526a23fa7012caad969.jpg

428742111_SolsticeAFTView2.jpg.3b4865142cfc4e05c35005a131f076d1.jpg

476725670_SolsticeAFTsideview.jpg.53e81385d5c61446900faff3533530ab.jpg

Hope the pics post and hope everyone enjoys them.;)

By the way, these are pics of the Model the Shipyard had in their booth.

Thanks for sharing. I can almost climb onto my balcony.:D

I posted something about this a couple of months on the Solstice thread with the sticky at the top of the boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=12589839&postcount=201

I agree it looks like there isn’t a true outer Promenade deck on Solstice, just a outer life boat deck that is mostly obstructed by the placement of the life boats.

I agree it looks like there isn’t a true outer Promenade deck on Solstice, just a outer life boat deck that is mostly obstructed by the placement of the life boats.

I sure hope this isn't the shape of things to come! If open promenade decks go away, that's probably going to be the end of my cruising. My DH and I spend hours - really, hours - each day at sea walking around outside. That's my favorite part of a cruise, just walking around out in the fresh air enjoying the ocean.

:(

wow, it looks like the aft balconies ARE bigger than the side balconies!Yea!

So, look at the big "mystery space" behind the restaurant. It extends out over the sides of the ship. Can't wait to hear what that space ends up being. It looks like it has glass windows all the way around.

wow, it looks like the aft balconies ARE bigger than the side balconies!Yea!

So, look at the big "mystery space" behind the restaurant. It extends out over the sides of the ship. Can't wait to hear what that space ends up being. It looks like it has glass windows all the way around.

That’s where the specialty restaurants are located. That area is shown on present deck plans.

That’s where the specialty restaurants are located. That area is shown on present deck plans.

I was referring to the two decks below the entertainment deck. I guess those two huge areas aft of the main dining room will be devoted to kitchen.

that protruding specialty dining level looks a bit odd.

Hi C2C--Did you go back to taking the inaugural? Thought you were switching to the mid winter trip in Jan but haven't seen you post on the roll call recently.?

The models are really interesting but seems like this will be a very big ship--many more decks than C class ships! Looks like a big LEGO project!

Um, folks ... you're looking at an artist's rendering and a model. Unless these are guaranteed to be accurate down to 1' scale, I wouldn't start measuring the drapes based on these.... :rolleyes:

Xcruiser,

Glad somebody else noticed!

J-man,

Not sure if you're talking about the origional topic of the Promenade or the other topic about that balconies that people have been talking about.

If you are talking about the Promenade...It's to late for them to change the plans for the area since progress on the Solstice is already very far.

The most confusing thing about this is really why they named the deck with the Promenade the Entertainment Deck and the deck without it the Promenade Deck.

Thanks for sharing. I can almost climb onto my balcony.:D

Arno,

Are you going to give the Shooting Stars your complete review and pithy comments when you return? Glad to see you are joining us on the Equinox TA reunion cruise in 2009. Did you book yet? I know Rick is looking at getting us discounted rates.

cruizinpooh

You sure made me happy---the model pictures are great! Thank you so much. I have a corner aft and have been really curious about the balcony. I'm ready to go right now! :)

Are you booked on the TA? Did you book a SS? We can't wait until next Thursday to book. DH really liked the SS's. Obviously, I'm even happier to hear that. lol:D

cruzinpooh,

Did the aft balconies look larger than those on the "hump"?

It's kinda hard to tell. We are currently booked in Aquaclass 1605 and it seems very deep. Not sure which one you are referring to on the hump. There are several categories, if I'm not mistaken. I'm attaching a few more pics. Hope these help.

714146113_CloserSolsticeHump.jpg.1e74973c32bdcb2fdcd1849c6ad5a024.jpg

671617248_SolsticeSideView.jpg.1e4e3f75c09d05810866f886027a7c86.jpg

753941069_SolsticeAFTsideview2.jpg.e6c658e2ac52a1ec5a9fa79393e71c50.jpg

Archived