? about higher fees for specialty restuarants

ma_t_gus

Are the waiters at the specialty restaurants receiving part of the higher fees? I believe they don't receive anything from the "mandatory" stateroom, regular dining room, etc.. tips. If that is the case, I think the specialty waiters are going to lose a lot of money because the tips will be less.

Are the waiters at the specialty restaurants receiving part of the higher fees? I believe they don't receive anything from the "mandatory" stateroom, regular dining room, etc.. tips. If that is the case, I think the specialty waiters are going to lose a lot of money because the tips will be less.

No they never did and tipping isn't required. I am sure it will have some impact. the same thing happens when a restaurant or bar raises its prices, the regulars for a while stick to their old habits and then they move on....

All waiters and waitresses are in the general service charge pool. One night they could be working in a speciality restaurant, the next night in one of the main restaurants.

I don't see it having any impact on their tips. Based on the number of threads here dealing with how difficult it is to obtain a reservation, I believe the restaurants will still be operating at full capacity. We are only talking about a $5 or $10 increase here. A lot of people still refuse to believe that the main dining rooms are a good value and offer quality meals, so they will continue to line up.

I don't see it having any impact on their tips. Based on the number of threads here dealing with how difficult it is to obtain a reservation, I believe the restaurants will still be operating at full capacity. We are only talking about a $5 or $10 increase here.

It will have some effect, and they are operating less full especially the Italian on the Gem.

Our cruise director on the Sun said that the $10 service charge automatically placed on your bill was to ensure all service people get their fare share of tips. NCL understands you will be dining in different restaurants and have a different waiter each night. This is one of the main reasons for the mandatory $10 per day charge, so every waiter gets their fair share.

Our cruise director on the Sun said that the $10 service charge automatically placed on your bill was to ensure all service people get their fare share of tips. NCL understands you will be dining in different restaurants and have a different waiter each night. This is one of the main reasons for the mandatory $10 per day charge, so every waiter gets their fair share.

I don't know if many people realize how hard these people work. Sailing the Crown, a smaller ship, it was easy to spot your waitress serving you dinner at LeBistro at 8:00 p.m., serving breakfast to you in the main dining room the next morning. It is the same on all the ships but maybe not as noticable since the ships are much larger.

I don't know if many people realize how hard these people work. Sailing the Crown, a smaller ship, it was easy to spot your waitress serving you dinner at LeBistro at 8:00 p.m., serving breakfast to you in the main dining room the next morning. It is the same on all the ships but maybe not as noticable since the ships are much larger.

Good observation. I wish I got a chance to sail on the Crown before she was sold to Fred Olsen. I really thought the older Crown would make it to the shorter cruise rotation from Florida that is typical with older ships, but my gamble based on past history was not to be...

Are you expected to tip at the specialty restaurants... if not expected is it I assume appreciated... can you leave a cash tip if you get really great service?

I'm familiar with how waiters on regular ships work in different areas, we've seen our dinner waiter working the buffet at lunch etc..... so the waiters all get a share of the "waiters" portion of the $10 applied tips..

On Carnival, if we had great service the whole week we usually tipped a little extra to the waiter on the last night, in addition to the tips charged to the room... so if we go to dinner in the specialty restaurant would it be appropriate to tip a couple of dollars at the end of the meal? Is it generally expected that you tip or dont tip? I mean, is the waiter gonna think we are jerks if we dont leave a tip or do people not generally leave a tip?

Are you expected to tip at the specialty restaurants... if not expected is it I assume appreciated... can you leave a cash tip if you get really great service?

I'm familiar with how waiters on regular ships work in different areas, we've seen our dinner waiter working the buffet at lunch etc..... so the waiters all get a share of the "waiters" portion of the $10 applied tips..

On Carnival, if we had great service the whole week we usually tipped a little extra to the waiter on the last night, in addition to the tips charged to the room... so if we go to dinner in the specialty restaurant would it be appropriate to tip a couple of dollars at the end of the meal? Is it generally expected that you tip or dont tip? I mean, is the waiter gonna think we are jerks if we dont leave a tip or do people not generally leave a tip?

It is not expected or required, if you like leave a few extra dollars to show appreciation for the service. No one will consider you anything if you don't tip extra.

We always leave a tip in the speciality restaruants and tip $1 0r 2 after a couple of drinks at most of the bars. We always leave cash, so that the waiter or bartender who we dealt with receives the entire amount and doesn't have to put it in the pool. They are very appeciative.;)

We always leave a tip in the speciality restaruants and tip $1 0r 2 after a couple of drinks at most of the bars. We always leave cash, so that the waiter or bartender who we dealt with receives the entire amount and doesn't have to put it in the pool. They are very appeciative.;)

We do the same at all restaurants and bars/lounges;)

I don't think the new prices will affect the wait staff much for a couple of reasons: as already mentioned they are part of the pool, they work one day one place, another somewhere else. Assuming the prices stay the same and the $10 charge for the Italian remains in place we will all get over it and 6 months from now will forget "it used to be free"

As for tipping, no it isn't required but we always do. We do not tip the bar servers extra unless we find one we really like, then we give that person something at the end of the cruise.

These are all things that are up to the cruisers.

Nita

Archived