Is buying Canival Corp. stock worthwhile?

MKMC

You should not invest money in any stock for the perks. Carnival Corp is trading at just under $38/share. You need 100 shares to get $100 in OBC. The price was down $1.38 on Friday. If you bought it at the close Thursday, you lost $138 to get a $100 OBC.

I am not saying Carnival Corp is a bad stck to buy. Just don't buy it for the OBC. Buy like any other stock - because you think the price will go up over time.

Might get a better answer if you post this on the Carnival board.

Why? Why not the Costa board, or HAL board, or Cunard baord, and don't forget the Seabourn board. All of which are part of the Carnival Corp, as much as Carnival Cruise Lines.

Why? Why not the Costa board, or HAL board, or Cunard baord, and don't forget the Seabourn board. All of which are part of the Carnival Corp, as much as Carnival Cruise Lines.

Duh, it is Carnival stock.

Uh Oh board police are out in force tonight. :eek:

how does the onboard credit work ........... if we bought stock today and are going on a 4/26 cruise but have already paid in full ....... how do we go about getting the onboard credit? ..... how long do you have to keep the shares in order to receive the credit, etc?

The answer to "is it worth it?" is--it depends on your own financial situation. For us, the answer is yes. We have a sufficient "nest egg" that is already diversified so many ways that putting $3800 in CCL vs. some other stock isn't going to change the big picture. We plan to go on one or two Princess cruises each year, so it's kind of like earning an extra 5% "dividend" on the stock. Plus, my DH takes great pleasure in getting the "best deal" on things. When you get that extra $100 shareholder credit, there is a minor psychological thrill in being an "insider" who is getting a better deal than the general public. Bottom line, if you go on cruises and have enough investments where the $3800 isn't a big deal, go for it. Needless to say, I can't speak to the intrinsic merits of CCL as a stock, but that's true of a lot of what we own. And if you just getting started with a retirement plan or whatever, basic principles of diversification would tell you not to put much of your money in one stock.

As for how it works, you just fax proof of ownership to the number that is under investor relations on the carnivalcorp web site. A trade confirmation works, as does a monthly brokerage statement. It works even if you have already made final payment. They don't check to make sure you still own it when the ship sails. I suppose you could buy it and fax in the trade for the credit and then sell the shares, but the commissions would consume a fair chunk of the credit. I just bought and figured I'd own 100 shares of CCL for as long as I keep crusing.

Not only do they not care how long you have owned it .. they don't care how it is held .. for instance mine is in a 401K plan.

Is it worth it depends on your own investment portfolio.

You should not invest money in any stock for the perks. Carnival Corp is trading at just under $38/share. You need 100 shares to get $100 in OBC. The price was down $1.38 on Friday. If you bought it at the close Thursday, you lost $138 to get a $100 OBC.

I am not saying Carnival Corp is a bad stck to buy. Just don't buy it for the OBC. Buy like any other stock - because you think the price will go up over time.

CCl stock is also just slightly above it's 52 week low of $37.37 It is paying a not to bad 4.1% dividend. It is rated as a medium buy or overweight with a $53.00 target price So, it might be a stock to keep and eye on this stock. But right now you have to factor in all the bad news and market volatility.

There was a recent newspaper article that CCl is running at 106% booking rate compared to the previous year and business is expected to increase.

Remember, Caveat Emptor.

Duh, it is Carnival stock.

Uh Oh board police are out in force tonight. :eek:

Duh.. its Carnival CORP stock, as there is no such thing as "Princess" stock.. DUH!

Ummm........... please explain for us simple folk how asking about Carnival Corp stock, on a board about one of the cruise lines Carnival Corp owns is wrong? Also, while you are at it, how asking about Carnival Corp stock on the Carnival cruise line board is such a better and more correct way to go about getting an answer to the question?

I do own RCCL stock, and the stockholder ob credit is in addition to any other onboard credit. I have heard that with the Carnival family, such as Princess, one credit can cancel another to some extent, up to a maximum of $300 or something like that. If that is the case, how would it work if you used a Future cruise credit that you purchased on a Princess ship, plus the stockholder benefit, let's say on a 10 day trip?

Do the benefits such as shipboard account deposit make buying stock in Carnival Corp worth it? Anyone had experience with this?

Kathleen

It's best to buy stock if the market is in your favour and you can get a good return, at the minute it's not the case

Hi KLLUND, how do you let the cruise line know that you own it if it is in your 401K plan. We are considering purchasing. I am watching the market to see how it goes today. But we would like it to be a part of our 401K. Thanks, Rebecca

Hi KLLUND, how do you let the cruise line know that you own it if it is in your 401K plan. We are considering purchasing. I am watching the market to see how it goes today. But we would like it to be a part of our 401K. Thanks, Rebecca

You should have a purchase confirmation showing you bought it in your 401K plan or a statement showing that you do own 100 shares. You just need to fax any proof of ownership that has your name and a minimum of 100 shares that you own.

The OBC will not be applied to your cruise by Liza McDaniel until after you have made final payment.

It's best to buy stock if the market is in your favour and you can get a good return, at the minute it's not the case

If one buys for the long term (and on certain stocks such as CCL, I do) then NOW is a great time to buy, or that is my point of view. I am putting my money where my mouth is and have again been dollar cost averaging in and adding to the number of shares I have.

CCL does pay a dividend… so if NOW is not the time to buy… please do tell, when is the right time to buy? I await your response with baited breath… well, ok first, I must clean out the kitty box, take out the garbage, turn the compost, clean the toilets, bath the dog, load the dishwasher, clean the oven, wash the windows, paint the house, till the garden, clean some fish, defrost the freezer, change the oil in the lawn mower, ….. but after I get all that done, I promise I will pay close attention to your words of wisdom as to when to buy CCL stock.

Might get a better answer if you post this on the Carnival board. :)

Princess is Carnival (CCL).

I agree, do not buy the stock just for the discount. Both RCL and CCL are fairly volatile stocks. in the last 5 months CCL has fallen from 52.10 to 36.83, that would be a loss of over $1500 if you bought the stock in October for a cruise you purchased at that time.

However, if you have a portfolio and you travel a lot, it could be a nice perk you get for having that stock.

If one buys for the long term (and on certain stocks such as CCL, I do) then NOW is a great time to buy, or that is my point of view. I am putting my money where my mouth is and have again been dollar cost averaging in and adding to the number of shares I have.

CCL does pay a dividend… so if NOW is not the time to buy… please do tell, when is the right time to buy? I await your response with baited breath… well, ok first, I must clean out the kitty box, take out the garbage, turn the compost, clean the toilets, bath the dog, load the dishwasher, clean the oven, wash the windows, paint the house, till the garden, clean some fish, defrost the freezer, change the oil in the lawn mower, ….. but after I get all that done, I promise I will pay close attention to your words of wisdom as to when to buy CCL stock.

With the economy headed into recession and fuel prices skyrocketing, travel stocks (especially for a discressionary spending item like a cruise) are going to be under a lot of downward pressure. I would not be surprised to see CCL fall even further than it already has, before any turnaround starts.

While I would not discourage anyone from buying stocks for their long term financial health, I do not think it is a good idea to invest several thousand dollars, to get a $100 discount. I don't know of any financial planner who would recommend that their clients do this.

So take a look at my previous comment, CCL has lost $15 a share in last 5 months. That could be a huge financial hit (at least $1500) for someone who does not generally invest in stocks and was doing this just for the discount.

Duh.. its Carnival CORP stock, as there is no such thing as "Princess" stock.. DUH!

Ummm........... please explain for us simple folk how asking about Carnival Corp stock, on a board about one of the cruise lines Carnival Corp owns is wrong? Also, while you are at it, how asking about Carnival Corp stock on the Carnival cruise line board is such a better and more correct way to go about getting an answer to the question?

OK simple folk, it was a suggestion. Don't cry. :rolleyes:

Can anyone direct me to the CURRENT language that outlines their stockholder benefit regarding onboard credit? Thanks.

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer US $250

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days + US $100

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less US $50

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

I bought 100 shares today at $36.45. I think the stock is a good value right now.

Archived