Is buying Canival Corp. stock worthwhile?

MKMC

Duh.. its Carnival CORP stock, as there is no such thing as "Princess" stock.. DUH!

Ummm........... please explain for us simple folk how asking about Carnival Corp stock, on a board about one of the cruise lines Carnival Corp owns is wrong? Also, while you are at it, how asking about Carnival Corp stock on the Carnival cruise line board is such a better and more correct way to go about getting an answer to the question?

Carnival Corporation is a company that is traded on the New York Stock Exchange. It owns several cruise companies. These include Carnival, Princess, HAL, Costa and a number of others. You can buy shares of Carnival Corp, but you cannot buy shares of the individual cruise lines.

Carnival Corporation is a company that is traded on the New York Stock Exchange. It owns several cruise companies. These include Carnival, Princess, HAL, Costa and a number of others. You can buy shares of Carnival Corp, but you cannot buy shares of the individual cruise lines.

You won't win at this debate. :cool:

But thanks for trying. ;)

Only one share holder ship board credit benefit is allowed per cabin. I spoke with the Princess Yield Management (investor relations) and we will get a $250 credit applied to our shipboard account on our 18 day Emerald Princess Trans-Atlantic after the final full payment is made which for us is July 20th. We have to fax the proof of share ownership information after that date for the credit to be applied.

:D

You won't win at this debate. :cool:

But thanks for trying. ;)

Hey Colo Cruiser. Not trying to provoke an argument but I don't understand what the debate is. paul929207 statement about not being able to buy shares in the individual cruise lines is correct. Carnival Corporation owns most of the major cruise lines such as Carnival, Princess, HAL, Seabourn, Costa, Cunard, P&O and some others. The stock is traded under the symbol CCL, which as I stated in an earlier post, I bought today.

:confused:

I told my DW that she now owns a part of the Emerald which we are sailing on in October, 2008 and her reply was "which carpet fiber"?

Duh.. its Carnival CORP stock, as there is no such thing as "Princess" stock.. DUH!

Ummm........... please explain for us simple folk how asking about Carnival Corp stock, on a board about one of the cruise lines Carnival Corp owns is wrong? Also, while you are at it, how asking about Carnival Corp stock on the Carnival cruise line board is such a better and more correct way to go about getting an answer to the question?

Duh! This was exactly my point. I guess it must be the thin air in Denver.

Hey Colo Cruiser. Not trying to provoke an argument but I don't understand what the debate is. paul929207 statement about not being able to buy shares in the individual cruise lines is correct. Carnival Corporation owns most of the major cruise lines such as Carnival, Princess, HAL, Seabourn, Costa, Cunard, P&O and some others. The stock is traded under the symbol CCL, which as I stated in an earlier post, I bought today.

:confused:

I told my DW that she now owns a part of the Emerald which we are sailing on in October, 2008 and her reply was "which carpet fiber"?

I know and all I was trying to say to the OP in the first post was check the CCL board too for additional information. Then Moron had to pipe up.:rolleyes:

I know and all I was trying to say to the OP in the first post was check the CCL board too for additional information. Then Moron had to pipe up.:rolleyes:

Well they got the info they needed here. My mom owns CCL and you won't find her on the Carnival board. You'll find her here or on HAL.

Anyway, I asked her about the OP's question and she's had no problems stacking the OBC with other promotions.

Princess recently changed their policy and now the shareholder credit is in addition to any other on board credit one may have - which is a good reason to own the stock if you cruise several times per year.

This is really good news. Where did you hear about this? I e-mailed my TA and he hadn't received any info. We have a 16 dayer coming up next month and this extra $250 would really be great. :D

Well they got the info they needed here. My mom owns CCL and you won't find her on the Carnival board. You'll find her here or on HAL.

Anyway, I asked her about the OP's question and she's had no problems stacking the OBC with other promotions.

It was just a suggestion.. :o

Do the benefits such as shipboard account deposit make buying stock in Carnival Corp worth it? Anyone had experience with this?

Kathleen

I have been wavering on this issue for almost 2 years....to buy or not to buy? If I did buy I would purchase RCI as well since we cruise on both lines. I like to own stock in companies we patronize.

But , I would never buy the stock for the OBC, there are many other ways to save 100 or 200 on a cruise.

Worth it for OBC??????? If you cruise several times a year...maybe,

somethimes the cruise lines have restrictions, if as one post stated they are being dropped on P that would make it more inviting, also don't they renew the benefit yearly?

Many people who are singing praises of the stock today purchased much lower than 37....but it is nice to see that it has dropped from some highs I have seen over the 2 years I have been watching it.

I am still watching

Dh and I cruise quite frequently during a year. We have only recently started sailing Princess, already doing 2 - 15 day sailings since August, 2007. We are scheduled to sail on the Island's 19 day cruise on April 21, (next month) and were wondering if we purchase the stock now (March), would we have the proper stock documentation in time to present to Princess to ensure we get the $250 OBC for this upcoming cruise in April. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much for any advice and information our fellow-cruisers can provide.

Not only did I read the revised language, but I called the appropriate stockholder dept., to confirm that I understood, and yes, they changed policy Feb. 1 of this year to make the stockholder benefit combinable with any other onboard credit. There are a few exceptions based on fare, such as travel agent fares and reduced fares.

Dh and I cruise quite frequently during a year. We have only recently started sailing Princess, already doing 2 - 15 day sailings since August, 2007. We are scheduled to sail on the Island's 19 day cruise on April 21, (next month) and were wondering if we purchase the stock now (March), would we have the proper stock documentation in time to present to Princess to ensure we get the $250 OBC for this upcoming cruise in April. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much for any advice and information our fellow-cruisers can provide.

Should only take two or three days from purchase to receiving OBC on your cruise statement. We purchased one day and received purchase confirmation (on line from brokerage) the next day.We Faxed it to Liza that day and the next day it was applied to our sailing.

Worth it for OBC??????? If you cruise several times a year...maybe,

somethimes the cruise lines have restrictions, if as one post stated they are being dropped on P that would make it more inviting, also don't they renew the benefit yearly?

Received our proxy materials today, and it has been extended. It's good for resevations by Feb 28, 2009, on sailings through July 31, 2009.

• 1 year later...

At the risk of getting slammed by those who do not agree with my thinking, I'll go ahead and post. I've bought Carnival stock, Princess stock, RCCL stock and NCL stock and put them all in my IRA account with my broker.

Before you naysayers get your dander up and before you know-it-alls say some of those companies don't have stock, let me explain that I bought them all shortly after they were initially offered years ago---AND I bought them ONLY for the stockholder benefit of onboard credit.

Princess has since merged with Carnival so I now have Carnival Corp and Carnival PLC stock, either of which would get me onboard credit. NCL was bought by a Malaysian family, and they bought my stock shortly after I purchased it--sold at a nice profit. So now I only have RCCL and the two Carnival stocks.

However, in the intermeaning years, we have taken many cruises, lengths of 7-14 days, and have enjoyed the onboard credit every time, amounts of $100 to $250 depending upon the cruise length. Whether you can combine credits or not depends upon the Board of Directors decision each year; when there are tons of cruisers you can't combine credits, but in times like these when they are doing everything they can to fill cabins, we can combine them.

You should know that late last year both Carnival and RCCL suspended dividends, but will look at that decision late again later this year. However, my dividends have never, ever come close to the amount that I've gotten as onboard credits on the two -three cruises we take every year. As somebody else mentioned, that's tax-free income.

So, yes, it does depend upon your situation. Carnival traded between $21+ and $23+ today. If you take a 7-day cruise on Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Seabourn, Cunard, Costa, P&O, or P&O Australia, you'll get onboard credit in whatever currency the ship operates, but equal to $50 for a cruise of 6 days or less, $100 for a cruise of 7-13 days, or $250 for a cruise of 14 days or longer. That's not just for one cruise, but for every cruise (NO maximum per year), year after year.

Personally, I think that's a good deal. Do you know of any other way to make your IRA pay so well now, before you retire?

Charlotte

Agree with the Trash Queen..

This year we have a 10 day and a 14 day booked.. That is $350 for owning CCL stock plus $400 for having FCC's plus another $100 from our TA.. Triple dipping is fun.. :D:D

Archived