Hoola Hoops Anyone?

gerif

While the 70 lbs. I lost over the last two years and 3-4 times a week using the treadmill has gotten my body in reasonable condition, the middle age (OK, after 60 I guess it's old age) spread has left my waistline a lot bigger than it should be. Not really good at crunches, situps or anything that requires me to be on the floor for that matter.

So, an announcement about a hoola hoop competition at an upcoming picnic got me to thinking. Back nearly 50 years ago when hoola hoops were all the rage, I loved mine and used it all the time. As a by-product, my waist whittled down to nothing (although at the time who cared - I just wanted the boobs bigger). So, I checked out websites and ordered an "adult" hoola hoop, beginner style. It arrived yesterday and promises a 2" loss around the waist each month. I'm going to start tonight and will let you know if it works. Figure it will be fun no matter what!

I too think its a great idea ... although I don't think I was the best at it... but perhaps bending down to pick it back up might work to get some toning.!!

Gerif ... congrats on all the weight loss!!! I know you (and others) have talked about not doing sit-ups, etc. I have a bad lower back ... my disc really wants to let go, so I have to be careful, no twisting ... I have found that I can use a ball to do crunches without hurting my back, neck and sitting on it means not being on the ground ... for me, I think its one of the best inventions ever.

I think I'm going to try a hula-hoop ... thanks for the idea. Jan

I was thinking about my hoola hoop days years ago when I won competitions and thought what a great work out it would be today. I bought one last year and was so disappointed because it was feather weight. I remember mine when a kid having some weight to it which helped with the girations. I was really particular about my hoola hoops LOL.

I got mine at Walmart and had a hard time finding one.

Do they sell "better" ones out there?

I was thinking about my hoola hoop days years ago when I won competitions and thought what a great work out it would be today. I bought one last year and was so disappointed because it was feather weight. I remember mine when a kid having some weight to it which helped with the girations. I was really particular about my hoola hoops LOL.

I got mine at Walmart and had a hard time finding one.

Do they sell "better" ones out there?

Yes - I got mine from sportshoop.com - it's the "beginners" model - weighs 3 lbs. - they have heavier ones available, but I went with the cheapest. It was $26 plus shipping - had it in just a couple of days.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived