Using FF Miles to get to Auckland

We are booked on the Diamond Princess - departing Auckland 2/10 -

I've been called AA every day for the last 10 days - trying to use AA FF miles to get to Auckland - finally - today - I found an agent that thought to look at the "ONE WORLD" routes, etc. Ended up getting Business Class seats from LAX to Tokoyo - then from Tokoyo to Sydney on Japan Airlines -

(Qantas from Sydney to Auckland) -

It's a round-about way to get there - but - at least we get there !!

The ONE WORLD Business Class tickets were 115,000 each (instead of AA Business class of 125,000 each) -

Just thought I would pass on this information -

Wow! Thats at least an extra 10 to 12 hours in the air not counting sitting around at Tokyo airport and Sydney airport waiting for transfers. Are you staying over at any of the stops?

But at least its in Business Class! Congratulations. Even if it is longer I'm sure it will be far superior to flying coach!

Cheers,

Steve.

YUP ! - It's Business Class - and yes - it's quite a bit longer in the air - there is a 2 1/2 hour lay-over in Tokyo and about the same in Sydney - so that part's not too bad...the reservations are just "on hold" for now - waiting to see if we can get flights home after the cruise !! - Wish me luck...

I realise that is Business Class and that its Frequent Flyer points but I would prefer to spend 11 hours in economy from LAX to AKL rather than 23 hours in the air in Business class and another 5 hours in airports. When you get to Tokyo, you could've already been in Auckland.

Business class is good but not THAT good. You will lose almost a whole day that you could be sightseeing and relaxing and getting over your jet lag.

We've flown 'the long way' from to/from North America on three occassions, twice in first class (before the introduction of beds) and once in Business (with a lie flat bed), all with Singapore Airlines.

Melbourne - Singapore - Hong Kong - San Francisco

Melbourne - Singapore - Seoul - Vancouver

Los Angeles - Tokyo - Singapore - Melbourne.

I would do any of the above again in a heartbeat when the alternative was a direct economy flight.

A 14 hour economy flight is like a year in purgatory for me; the above flights were wonderful travel experiences.

Well, I guess each to his or her own.

I realise it was important for the OP to try and get their flight using FF miles, I'm just not sure whether they have spent that much time in the air before.

I obviously look at flying in a totally different way to you Cands. I would always fly business over economy when given the choice. I would even be prepared to spend a few more hours in the air for the privilege. But there is no way I would spend 30 hours travelling instead of 12 hours. I have NEVER considered flying (even business class) a wonderful travel experience.

I think travelling in Business Class ie: trying to sleep in a room with about 30 strangers and all that entails (smells and noises) and sharing 4 toilets with them a poor substiute for the privacy of my own bed or a hotel room. I prefer to get to my destination as quickly as possible

Well, I guess each to his or her own.

I realise it was important for the OP to try and get their flight using FF miles, I'm just not sure whether they have spent that much time in the air before.

I obviously look at flying in a totally different way to you Cands. I would always fly business over economy when given the choice. I would even be prepared to spend a few more hours in the air for the privilege. But there is no way I would spend 30 hours travelling instead of 12 hours. I have NEVER considered flying (even business class) a wonderful travel experience.

I think travelling in Business Class ie: trying to sleep in a room with about 30 strangers and all that entails (smells and noises) and sharing 4 toilets with them a poor substiute for the privacy of my own bed or a hotel room. I prefer to get to my destination as quickly as possible

I'm with you mochuk. Flying these days is totally revolting whatever class you are in. Used to be great about 30 years ago even in Y.

Give me a ship any day. (Even though an airline pays me!! :D)

I personally would prefer the shorter trip over the more comfortable cabin setting. The one thing you can never get back is time...

In addition to the extra scheduled flight time, having two extra connections adds to the possiblity of other problems with weather or aircraft mechanical issues delaying your journey.

To the OP, have a great trip regardless of what you decide!

I realise that is Business Class and that its Frequent Flyer points but I would prefer to spend 11 hours in economy from LAX to AKL rather than 23 hours in the air in Business class and another 5 hours in airports. When you get to Tokyo, you could've already been in Auckland.
I personally would prefer the shorter trip over the more comfortable cabin setting. The one thing you can never get back is time...
Add me to this list. I would instantly have chosen the direct routing.

And flying economy is not that bad. I have done London-Sydney and back, three times in a single year - that's 6 x 24 hours of flying - all in economy. I normally do it only twice a year.

And I am still here to tell the tale. Indeed, I always have a great time down under, and I usually go straight to the office from the airport when I get back to London.

We are booked on the Diamond Princess - departing Auckland 2/10 -

I've been called AA every day for the last 10 days - trying to use AA FF miles to get to Auckland - finally - today - I found an agent that thought to look at the "ONE WORLD" routes, etc. Ended up getting Business Class seats from LAX to Tokoyo - then from Tokoyo to Sydney on Japan Airlines -

(Qantas from Sydney to Auckland) -

It's a round-about way to get there - but - at least we get there !!

The ONE WORLD Business Class tickets were 115,000 each (instead of AA Business class of 125,000 each) -

Just thought I would pass on this information -

Good job, I love business class, and would personally go out of my way to take longer flights in business. I went on Air New Zealand from LAX-AKL and return in business and they went by just too darn fast. This year I am on Qantas business from LAX-MEL, then Cathay Pacific business from SYD-HKG, then HKG to LAX again in business. I think you did a great job, and will enjoy yourself. Have fun.

Good job, I love business class, and would personally go out of my way to take longer flights in business. I went on Air New Zealand from LAX-AKL and return in business and they went by just too darn fast. This year I am on Qantas business from LAX-MEL, then Cathay Pacific business from SYD-HKG, then HKG to LAX again in business. I think you did a great job, and will enjoy yourself. Have fun.

THANK YOU for the encouraging words ! - My goodness, I had no idea that my post regarding taking a round-about-route to Auckland (in Business Class) would start such opinionated responses !! - Not my intent - I was just trying to advise others of the "ONE WORLD" Option - which uses LESS FF Miles....

FYI - Will start trying to book return flight tomorrow...

My goodness, I had no idea that my post regarding taking a round-about-route to Auckland (in Business Class) would start such opinionated responses !!

I'm so sorry that you found my response opinionated. I thought I might be able to offer advice based on the benefit of experience on long haul flights in business class vs shorter flights in economy and how tiring it is. I didn't realise you were looking for words of encouragment. :eek:

I'm so sorry that you found my response opinionated. I thought I might be able to offer advice based on the benefit of experience on long haul flights in business class vs shorter flights in economy and how tiring it is. I didn't realise you were looking for words of encouragment. :eek:

Thanks for the nice answer - I didn't realize it at the time - but I guess you are right - I was seeking words of encouragement !!! :p

We've flown on many, many long trips - and I guess we're just spoiled and want Business Class !!

We've flown on many, many long trips - and I guess we're just spoiled and want Business Class !!

There are some of us here who fully understand and as someone who has experienced going the 'long way round' multiple times I say 'go for it!'.

Cheers,

Steve.

Well, having been married to a 6'3" man for 50 years I have experienced his discomfort and frustration from flying in coach on long trips. Many a time his knees have been bruised by someone's seat back being extended all the way back. At our age, we have decided that if we can't fly business on long trips we will not go. It is not uncomfortable for me because I am a short person. Because of what he experiences we are very conscious of the people behind us when we fly economy, which we do on short flights. Just an opinion.

Jimanne1

Thanks for the nice answer - I didn't realize it at the time - but I guess you are right - I was seeking words of encouragement !!! :p

I LOVE to fly. And if in Business or First on international flights would DEFINITELY take the long way around to get an award ticket. Been there, done that.

OneWorld and even AA partner award tickets are THE BEST for all the opportunities to use your miles in innovative ways. And for a perspective of someone who likes to fly even more than I do, check out this trip report. Definitely the long way around, but a superb trip.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804000

UPDATE !!- I've still been calling AA twice a day - to see if I could improve on our travel arrangements (hoping something on Qantas would open up) and also to start checking on return trip arrangements) - I now have another option "ON HOLD" - and need advice on this one, please:

Depart LAX on Feb 8th - Air Pacific 10:30 PM - arrive Fiji 5:15 AM Feb 10th - Depart Fiji 8:45 AM - arrive Auckland 12:45 PM on the 10th

We've flown on Air Pacific to Fiji a couple of times - in First Class - so are familiar with it and like it - my question is - are we taking TOO big of a risk by arriving into Auckland ON THE SAME DAY as the cruise departure date ?

We HAVE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE (we always arrive at least a day before - since we always book our own air travel - and want to allow for the "what ifs" in air travel)

Depart LAX on Feb 8th - Air Pacific 10:30 PM - arrive Fiji 5:15 AM Feb 10th - Depart Fiji 8:45 AM - arrive Auckland 12:45 PM on the 10th

We've flown on Air Pacific to Fiji a couple of times - in First Class - so are familiar with it and like it - my question is - are we taking TOO big of a risk by arriving into Auckland ON THE SAME DAY as the cruise departure date ?

I think it depends on how laid-back you'd be about the expense and hassle of re-arranging things if it went wrong. It's not difficult to get from Auckland to Tauranga (your port call the next day, 11 February) - Air New Zealand flies that seven times a day, and it looks like you just have to be able to get to Tauranga by 6 pm the following day. I don't think Tauranga is a tender port, so there wouldn't be issues with baggage because of that (and they're not insoluble problems anyway).

However, if missing the ship would stress you enormously, then this may not be worth it. Arriving at 1245 for an 1800 sailing is quite close.

:p

I think it depends on how laid-back you'd be about the expense and hassle of re-arranging things if it went wrong. It's not difficult to get from Auckland to Tauranga (your port call the next day, 11 February) - Air New Zealand flies that seven times a day, and it looks like you just have to be able to get to Tauranga by 6 pm the following day. I don't think Tauranga is a tender port, so there wouldn't be issues with baggage because of that (and they're not insoluble problems anyway).

However, if missing the ship would stress you enormously, then this may not be worth it. Arriving at 1245 for an 1800 sailing is quite close.

Thanks so much for the (good) information on getting to the next port - that will help with making the final decision - for right now - I'll continue the "hold" on these reservations for the 2 weeks grace period - while trying to:

1) change these to a day or two earlier - hoping something opens up on Qantas

2) obtain RETURN reservations !

(Meanwhile, I'll cancel those reservations that were via Tokyo - that I talked about when starting this whole thread !!) :D

Archived