Charles DeGaulle to Downtown Paris

I'm flying into Charles DeGaulle on American Airlines on Tuesday morning, April 22 and want an inexpensive way to get to my hotel: Concorde LaFayette adjacent to the Palais des Congres and on Place du General Koenig. Any recommendations?

How confusing will it be to take the train/metro? Are there shuttles like Cloud 9 or Super Shuttle? How long will these take?

Or should I splurge and take a taxi?

Thanks...

I'm flying into Charles DeGaulle on American Airlines on Tuesday morning, April 22 and want an inexpensive way to get to my hotel: Concorde LaFayette adjacent to the Palais des Congres and on Place du General Koenig. Any recommendations?

How confusing will it be to take the train/metro? Are there shuttles like Cloud 9 or Super Shuttle? How long will these take?

Thanks...

Yes, the do have shutttle's like Super Shuttle etc.,and I am thinking they may run 20 euro each way(there are booths inside the termonal or ask at the tourist info)..I did take one this past Nov.,but I am sorry I do not remember the price.I flew in on a Sat.and it idid not take long,but during the week depending on your arrival it can take a tad longer re traffic.If I go alone I sometimes take the Air France bus which was about 15 euro the last time to one of the train stations(there are other stops and you can check at the AF ticket booth where the bus stops..anyone can help ypu) and then a cab to my hotel.If by chance you take a taxi DO NOT take one from anyone who comes up to you in the terminal and asks if you want one..no no and no as you will get ripped off royally.Foloow the signs for the taxi stand and only take one that has Taxi Parisene on top of the cab.It will probably now cost about 50 to 60 euro.Guess on my part sorry.You can also take the Roissy Bus that stops on rue Scribe and then a taxi to your hotel(but you are in the 17th Arr so this one may not work the best).Ask at the tourist inof as to waht would be best for you as they will be glad to help.Enjoy Paris..be prepared for outrageous prices:eek: .

We caught the train from CDG to Gard du Nord and the Metro links can be picked up from there. There are a couple of stations just south of your hotel but perhaps a taxi from the rail station would be easiest but train/metro travel in Paris is very economical.

We used the Blue Van shuttle service last Spring. It was a shared van and they picked you up right outside the terminal. We made advance reservations and charged it for a roundtrip. We were very happy with their services.

Carol

We used the Blue Van shuttle service last Spring. It was a shared van and they picked you up right outside the terminal. We made advance reservations and charged it for a roundtrip. We were very happy with their services.

Carol

Was there any extra charge for luggage? We will be traveling from CDG to the 7th arr and one of the shuttle companies I checked with charged for anything over one bag. We are going to try to pack light, but even that means two large suitcases and two carry-ons.

Many thanks!

Train !!

An RER/TGV station at the airport. Trains leave every 15 minutes during the hours of 5h30 - 23h30 to downtown Travel time is 35 minutes to Gare du Nord ( near the centre of paris )

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/en-GB/Passagers/Departs/AccederANosAeroports/EnTransportEnCommun/ratp.htm

jj....

I haven't been on the Air France bus for a while, but they used to have two stops - Avenue Carnot at the Etoile, and Porte Maillot, at the Palais des Congres (this would be at the other end of a rather large building from Place General Koenig). If they still run the same route, you couldn't ask for anything more direct, and they were fairly inexpensive.

Karen

Last May they did not charge for luggage and we each had a 25" bag and a carryon each. Things may have changed so I would check their web site.

I know the train is fast and cheaper but the older you get, you don't want to deal with the steps and hauling the luggage.

Carol

I know the train is fast and cheaper but the older you get, you don't want to deal with the steps and hauling the luggage.

Carol

LOL! Ain't that the truth! Actually, due to some surgery, I'm not so good at moving 50 lb. suitcases around anymore. Besides, we're on vacation. Why would we want to drag luggage up and down stairs?

I will check out the website, which I assume I can find through Google.

Thanks for answering!

Karen

I'm glad the realiities with luggage were raised. That's the downside to some of the cheaper options. Lugging luggage! That takes time and extra work, BOTH within the airport and where you land after the rail or bus trip. De Gaulle is a massive and sometimes confusing airport. Where you get a cab at the airport will be quicker and easier to reach than where you have to go to get the train or bus. If you're young and traveling very light, that makes using the rail and bus much easier.

There's no perfect, cheap and easy way from the airport to your exact location within main Paris. BUT, it's worth the trip and effort! THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I haven't been on the Air France bus for a while, but they used to have two stops - Avenue Carnot at the Etoile, and Porte Maillot, at the Palais des Congres (this would be at the other end of a rather large building from Place General Koenig). If they still run the same route, you couldn't ask for anything more direct, and they were fairly inexpensive.
Air France run frequent full size comfortable buses that stop at Porte Maillot, next to the Palais from CDG

Fare is 13 Euro single, 20 Euro return and picks up at each terminal.

All the information you need for taking the Air France coaches.

Thanks...

I have stayed near this area at La Defense. If if you like trains, public transport, and are travelling light the RER and Metro combo is pretty easy. Take the RER B line into Chatelet. Transfer to the Metro #1 towards La Defense although I am not sure what your stop is and how far the walk is to the hotel.

Disclaimer - Living in the San Diego area I find the use of public transport somewhat entertaining as I spend too much time running around in a car.

BTW - is RSF for Ranch Santa Fe? Your potential neighbor to the west in SB.

I have stayed near this area at La Defense. If if you like trains, public transport, and are travelling light the RER and Metro combo is pretty easy. Take the RER B line into Chatelet. Transfer to the Metro #1 towards La Defense although I am not sure what your stop is and how far the walk is to the hotel.

Disclaimer - Living in the San Diego area I find the use of public transport somewhat entertaining as I spend too much time running around in a car.

BTW - is RSF for Ranch Santa Fe? Your potential neighbor to the west in SB.

Yep, we're neighbors! Thanks for the info - I generally like to take public transporation, given how little opportunity I have to do it here in San Diego. I'm inclined to take the train since I won't have to worry about traffic and I want to maximize my time in Paris, but I'm a little worried about being dazed after such a long flight from the west coast and getting lost my first day. You make it sound pretty easy to take the train, and the Metro stops right at my hotel. Based on the responses I've gotten, I'll either do the Air France bus or RER and Metro.

Yep, we're neighbors! ... I'm inclined to take the train ... worried about being dazed after such a long flight from the west coast and getting lost my first day. ... You make it sound pretty easy to take the train, and the Metro stops right at my hotel ...

Tony's or Fidel's? :)

I assume you're on the AA flight from DFW. The flight is long enough to get a good sleep if you are used to sleeping on planes. For me this cuts down on the daze factor but in some regards it is an acquired skill.

Train is fine by me if I am travelling reasonably light - day pack for laptop and roller board. Did this particular trip several times on business without incident. On a trip with wife and kids and loaded down for a cruise it was cab all the way.

Plenty of signs in Chatelet. Most confusing part is coming up from the metro and getting your bearing in an unfamiliar location. Just print out a Google map or equivalent with directions to guide you to the hotel.

RATP has a journey planner on-line to get more specific info:

http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index.php?langue=en&rub=reperer&cat=itineraires

Have a great time!

Archived