Can I wear this formal dress?

lilyhammer

I'm looking for some opinions about whether I can wear this dress for a formal night. I had bought this previously as a back-up wedding dress in case the weather was very hot. It turned out to be rainy and cold, so I wore my primary dress. I would like to not let this dress go to waste, but I'm worried that it's too "wedding". What do you think? Could I add accessories to make it less wedding-like? Thanks for looking!

Lily

1968342521_marycouturedress.jpg.6ae49575b9bb0d0843e3114391c08c32.jpg

I'm looking for some opinions about whether I can wear this dress for a formal night. I had bought this previously as a back-up wedding dress in case the weather was very hot. It turned out to be rainy and cold, so I wore my primary dress. I would like to not let this dress go to waste, but I'm worried that it's too "wedding". What do you think? Could I add accessories to make it less wedding-like? Thanks for looking!

Lily

Lily

You look stunning in that dress. Unfortunately, you do look like a bride. I'm not sure what accessories you could use to make it look less wedding-like. If you're cruising with your husband, and he wears a tux, you could tell everyone you got married on board the ship that day and who would be the wiser!:D

Or maybe you could e-bay or craigs list it to get some of your money back, or maybe look for someone less fortunate who would love a gown to get married in and donate it to her. But be sure to do your research before just passing it along, it's too beautiful to give to the wrong person.

Good Luck!

EN

Lily

Lily,

I think it's great. Don't unleash it!

What about "de-briding" it by adding a fabulous necklace with lots of bold colors, as well as a bright purse and a jewel toned wrap or scarf. I'd wear it in a heartbeat. I think it's gorgeous.

Ha, I wish that was me! No, that is actually the picture from the Nordstrom's website where I got the dress. I suppose I could try to sell the dress, though I've already gotten it altered, so that would be difficult. Keep it coming ladies!

-Lily

It's a gorgeous dress, but it is kind of weddingy.

A few thoughts...

Check with a local tailor shop about getting it dyed. You wouldn't have to change it a whole lot -- any color other than white would take down the wedding factor. Maybe a dove grey or celadon? I dunno... I don't know what colors you like. :)

See how it looks with colorful shoes, shawl, maybe add a sash?

Renew your vows on the ship, and it CAN be a wedding dress! :D

Lily,

I think it's great. Don't unleash it!

What about "de-briding" it by adding a fabulous necklace with lots of bold colors, as well as a bright purse and a jewel toned wrap or scarf. I'd wear it in a heartbeat. I think it's gorgeous.

3brothersboston took the words right outta my mouth...or I guess the keys off my keyboard...whatever

Wear it! Do not get rid of it! Splashes of color with jewelry, purse, wrap and shoes and you will look SMASHING DAHLING!!!!!!

Dyeing it...what a fabulous idea! I hadn't thought of that, but that would probably be the easiest thing in the world to do and would definitely change the dress.

Thanks for the terrific ideas!

DON'T DYE IT!!! You'll end up ruining it. The only reason it looks weddingish in the photo is because they've accessorized it that way.

Yes, you can wear this dress and it would look perfect.

Firstly, no pearls or satin shoes.

Wear big rhinestone or swarovski blingy sexy earings and really sexy silver strappy stilettos.

Stay away from a necklace and have your hair more 'come hither' than 'coiffed do'.

Please don't try and dye the dress. You'll ruin it. I'm sure the dress and the lining are made out of two different fabrics, one will shrink and the molded cups in the bra will be a mess. If there is any beading on the dress it will reject the dye.

Dyeing it...what a fabulous idea! I hadn't thought of that, but that would probably be the easiest thing in the world to do and would definitely change the dress.

Thanks for the terrific ideas!

Unless it's a natural fiber like silk,(other fibers do not take dye well), dying may not be an option. Even then, you may have a hard time finding someone willing to take the risk.

Accessories are probably your best option.

BlueHerons beat me to it.:) Trust her, she knows what she's taking about.

Lily

No absolutely not!!! Send it directly to me so that I can wear it.:D

Add some splashes of color with accessories and wear that girl!

I have to agree with the advise to not dye the dress unless it is a natural fiber. Otherwise, it will just look splotchy.

Why not see if the "train" part can be altered, making it look more like a column dress than a casual wedding dress? I might even see if I could get the dress hemmed shorter to knee length, if I knew the tailor or dressmaker knew how to do it well, it would mean taking in the sides and back as well.

It's a very pretty dress, shown the way it is it looks very "bride-ish".

DON'T DYE IT!!! You'll end up ruining it. The only reason it looks weddingish in the photo is because they've accessorized it that way.

Yes, you can wear this dress and it would look perfect.

Firstly, no pearls or satin shoes.

Wear big rhinestone or swarovski blingy sexy earings and really sexy silver strappy stilettos.

Stay away from a necklace and have your hair more 'come hither' than 'coiffed do'.

Please don't try and dye the dress. You'll ruin it. I'm sure the dress and the lining are made out of two different fabrics, one will shrink and the molded cups in the bra will be a mess. If there is any beading on the dress it will reject the dye.

BlueHerons beat me to it. Ditto all of her suggestions.

Personally, I would not accessorize this dress with bold colors and accessories. It is not a style and fabric that would lend itself to this approach.

An all out glam, metallic shoes, bag, etc. and stunning earrings are your best bet to take the bride look down a notch or two and look stunning.

I also think that metallic shoes - either silver or gold would look great. A silver or gold wrap (the same as the shoes) would also add color. Keep away from the pearls. I think that splashes of colors will only make it look like a bridal gown trying to pass as a regular gown. White and metallic are classic.

BlueHerons beat me to it. Ditto all of her suggestions.

Personally, I would not accessorize this dress with bold colors and accessories. It is not a style and fabric that would lend itself to this approach.

An all out glam, metallic shoes, bag, etc. and stunning earrings are your best bet to take the bride look down a notch or two and look stunning.

Agree here as well.

I'd stay away from wedding-like accessories, such as pearls and satin shoes, but I would not use bold accessories with this delicate looking dress.

I can't tell if there's a train on it or not, but if there is, I'd advise having it taken off. It's too wedding-like and people will be stepping on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After a little research, I agree that it would be a really bad idea to try and dye this dress. All your other ideas seem do-able, but I'll need to go shopping for the appropriate accessories and I don't really have time to do any major re-structuring. So I think I'm just going to re-wear some previous cruise formals. Thanks for all your help!

When did you get married? Nothing wrong with wearing it and celebrating your wedding all over again. Yes, it looks like a wedding dress with the lace overlay, so wear it as one and you and your hubby celebrate all over again. Who says you can't? Nothing wrong with being especially romantic on a cruise.:)

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think that it looks too much like a wedding dress. It's really hard to see the back, but it doesn't seem like it has a very long train... just flares out a bit in the back..? I'd wear it! It's a beautiful dress!

Thanks for all the suggestions. After a little research, I agree that it would be a really bad idea to try and dye this dress. All your other ideas seem do-able, but I'll need to go shopping for the appropriate accessories and I don't really have time to do any major re-structuring. So I think I'm just going to re-wear some previous cruise formals. Thanks for all your help!

I'd wear it! I'm sure you have some shoes and a bag and earings that would look great!

Don't overthink the dress. It really is lovely.

Archived