Advantages Of Buying Rci Stock?

As most all stocks will. But the market will come back & get strong again.

Alan

Of course... but what's the timeframe?

One week?

One month?

One year?

Ten years?

Thirty years?

If you really believe you will see RCL trading in the 50's in the near future, I have a beautiful bridge that connects Brooklyn to Manhattan that I have up for sale;)

Don't think we'll even get a dead cat bounce:

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7b1300C269-B536-4ACD-BD6D-6C9077AA73F1%7d&siteid=yhoof2

The stock is just a few pennies from sinking below $25 per share. I still don't think it can bottom until RCL announces they are missing the quarter and guiding lower for fiscal year '08 and '09. At least the analysts finally became bearish and maybe the rumblings about restarting drilling in the U.S. will keep oil from going much higher for the time being. It will also be interesting to see if they decrease their quarterly dividend.

One week?

One month?

One year?

Ten years?

Thirty years?

If you really believe you will see RCL trading in the 50's in the near future, I have a beautiful bridge that connects Brooklyn to Manhattan that I have up for sale;)

Out of those options I would guess ten years.

I'll take a pass on that bridge. ;)

One week?

One month?

One year?

Ten years?

Thirty years?

Valueline has them tracking into at least the 50's in 2011-2013. Of course, that's nowhere near as high as they had them tracking six months ago. They used to have them tracking to at least the 70's by then... ;).

They are saying the next year isn't going to be great because of fuel, but they think that will ebb as a problem by then. The increased capacity is apparently going to be an asset.

Still, the stock looks scary at the moment and I cannot imagine anyone buying it just to get onboard credit unless you cruise 3-4 times a year anyway.

I am looking to buy this as a long time hold (ie, writing off ALL the money it takes) before my next cruise. I have $450 in OBC due to us if I buy it in time on the 3 booked cruises which I feel is a good start to "paying off" the price of the stock.

That said, I do feel we're looking at more down than up and I will be waiting to buy this until near the time I need it.

We have held the stock since 1998 and DO cruise 2-3 times a year or more only on RCCL. The stocks have more than paid for themselves and the OBC plus dividends is why we will continue to hold this stock and appreciate RCCL's generousity in doing so, imho...friends and family just purchased their stock today to start enjoying the OBC and with 6 cruises already booked thru 2009 the OBC should just about cover today's cost!

Got to love it..........

We have held the stock since 1998 and DO cruise 2-3 times a year or more only on RCCL. The stocks have more than paid for themselves and the OBC plus dividends is why we will continue to hold this stock and appreciate RCCL's generousity in doing so, imho...friends and family just purchased their stock today to start enjoying the OBC and with 6 cruises already booked thru 2009 the OBC should just about cover today's cost!

Got to love it..........

Again, one needs to be aware that when companies are struggling and in difficult financial times and there is not an end in sight to the hard times, they quite often reduce or drop their dividend. For those who purchased RCL years ago and have reaped the OBC benefit many times already, that is great. However it is dangerous to purchase the stock during this free fall with the main reason being to use the shareholder OBC on future cruises. When they release this quarters earnings in a few weeks it would be not big surprise if they made significant changes to their quarterly divident (and also altered the shareholder OBC). With their profit margins shrinking they are going to try everything they can to cut costs. I hope your friends and family make out well with their decision, but anybody purchasing RCL needs to realize that the Shareholder OBC can be done away with at any time and is far from set in stone.

Again, one needs to be aware that when companies are struggling and in difficult financial times and there is not an end in sight to the hard times, they quite often reduce or drop their dividend. For those who purchased RCL years ago and have reaped the OBC benefit many times already, that is great. However it is dangerous to purchase the stock during this free fall with the main reason being to use the shareholder OBC on future cruises. When they release this quarters earnings in a few weeks it would be not big surprise if they made significant changes to their quarterly divident (and also altered the shareholder OBC). With their profit margins shrinking they are going to try everything they can to cut costs. I hope your friends and family make out well with their decision, but anybody purchasing RCL needs to realize that the Shareholder OBC can be done away with at any time and is far from set in stone.

Blah, blah, blah.... is it Memorex or Gonzo?:D

jc

Do you ever make an actual contribution to a thread?

Yes, but I use too many words, usually, for you to read.:D

How many times have you posted these concepts on these threads?

Don't worry be happy.:D The stock is going down and you are happy.:D

jc

PS, Plus anyone old enough to remember those commercials will think that was a pretty funny joke. Lighten up.

Yes, but I use too many words, usually, for you to read.:D

How many times have you posted these concepts on these threads?

Don't worry be happy.:D The stock is going down and you are happy.:D

It is not the amount of words you use, it is your choice of words. :cool:

My post which you commented on was stated as a direct response to the post that preceded it. Although I have made similar comments before, the preceding post warranted a repetition. :cool:

I am not happy the stock is going down. Yes it is going the way I predicted, but it is going that way because of soaring oil costs which is not a good thing. :cool:

The warning is quite fair. OBC could disappear.

There are a lot of people buying JUST 100 shares to get OBC thinking they're getting the deal of the century. Did the person book more cruises just to get OBC? Did the OBC save them money or did they spend more than they usually would have because it was there? Even if the OBC "paid" for itself over time, could the money that was used to buy the stock have had a better performance in another investment? Factoring in how much a given cruise costs just to get OBC ... it boggles the mind.

With the stock dropping in value, the cost of cruising going up, a lot of people are getting burned ... or are about to.

Yes, all true. :rolleyes: How many people in the last few years bought a SUV... Bad decision based on the value of those vehicles today... everyone knew gas was getting more expensive. ;) Of course, beating people over the head with the same stick day after day gets tiresome. But hey whatever turns you on.:rolleyes: In the meantime the OBC could continue and the price of stock could turn around, by something as simple as the USA drilling more of our vast untapped oil reserves. Warning people one time is one thing, warning them day after day after day is.........:rolleyes:

Keep whacking, but remember all of those words I typed are still true...

jc

You guys are hilarious! I think it would be best to lighten up and shake hands, lol. I am well aware of all the ups and downs, pros and cons, etc.etc. of RCCL stock and the ENTIRE stock market in general. NOONE can predict the future with 100% success and I wouldn't even try. I am, however, thankful that I have the extra money in which to purchase stock and take multiple cruises a year! And, as long as RCCL feels they can give their loyal passengers and stock holders a bonus in OBC and dividends, it's icing on the cake and we will enjoy them.

Carnival (CCL) announced quarterly earnings today. They did decrease their full year 2008 profit estimate due to high fuel prices. The stock reacted to the earnings report by going up nicely (and also lifted RCL stock moderately). This may indicate that most of the bad news is baked in and that if oil does not spike up further and/or the economy weaken significantly further that the cruise stocks may have bottomed. Carnival also indicated that they are on pace with last years sales in terms of number of bookings, but have a higher average price.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080619/carnival.html?.v=2

First that I had heard of this. Wish I had found cruisecritic before we even booked our cruise but I will be reading it alot after this...and at some point I hope that I can contribute some good ideas to others who are new to cruising when I finally become a veteran...or at least have cruised once!

Not sure if the stock thing makes sense until we are sur we like cruising...

So, today we should buy? I thought the price could only move in one direction and that was lower?:D

That is until tomorrow if a terrorist event occurs. :rolleyes:

Guess what nobody knows what the price will be tomorrow or 6 weeks from now or 6 years.

The stock market is a gamble. I recommend it over most other forms of gambling, but the way it works is that nobody knows what is the right answer, because all information(real and imaginary) is already factored into the price. Those who have inside information or information that is not publicly known may have insight into the future, but if they act on that information (think Martha Stewart) then they are at risk to future legal action. :D

jc

First that I had heard of this. Wish I had found cruisecritic before we even booked our cruise but I will be reading it alot after this...and at some point I hope that I can contribute some good ideas to others who are new to cruising when I finally become a veteran...or at least have cruised once!

Not sure if the stock thing makes sense until we are sur we like cruising...

Welcome to Cruise Critic & to cruising. What ship are you booked on?

Carnival (CCL) announced quarterly earnings today. They did decrease their full year 2008 profit estimate due to high fuel prices. The stock reacted to the earnings report by going up nicely (and also lifted RCL stock moderately). This may indicate that most of the bad news is baked in and that if oil does not spike up further and/or the economy weaken significantly further that the cruise stocks may have bottomed. Carnival also indicated that they are on pace with last years sales in terms of number of bookings, but have a higher average price.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080619/carnival.html?.v=2

Its bottomed, it hasn't bottomed, it might go up but it might go down, the news is baked in, its not baked in. Just stand on the fence and you will be right either way.

Archived