Bostonians ... please help!

lizbeth

:) Hi Boston residents--

We will be in your city for almost a week prior to our cruise on July 5 and we are growing increasingly concerned about our rental car plans.

We had planned to pick up our car at Logan and drive up to VT and NH, and then return to Boston to sightsee. We want a car to drive to Lexington/Concord, to Salem and to other places outside the city cental areas.

However :

a) we understand that there is a $10/day additional rental fee for picking up our car at Logan! That's a lot when I'm looking at 11 days!

b) we don't know where to choose as our drop-off location because we aren't sure which companies are closest to the pier/terminal.

We are thinking of staying in Quincy or Braintree (near the mass transit stops). Nonetheless, we still want a car.

Can you tell us which car rental companies have rental facilities near the pier? (Looking at drop off locations doesn't help us because we don't know which address is closest to the pier.)

If you could look in your phone books and let us know which companies and which drop off location to choose, it would really help us!

Thanks so much! (Any suggestions about viewing the July 4 fireworks would be appreciated!!)

Liz

We will be in your city for almost a week prior to our cruise on July 5 and we are growing increasingly concerned about our rental car plans.

We had planned to pick up our car at Logan and drive up to VT and NH, and then return to Boston to sightsee. We want a car to drive to Lexington/Concord, to Salem and to other places outside the city cental areas.

However :

a) we understand that there is a $10/day additional rental fee for picking up our car at Logan! That's a lot when I'm looking at 11 days!

b) we don't know where to choose as our drop-off location because we aren't sure which companies are closest to the pier/terminal.

We are thinking of staying in Quincy or Braintree (near the mass transit stops). Nonetheless, we still want a car.

Can you tell us which car rental companies have rental facilities near the pier? (Looking at drop off locations doesn't help us because we don't know which address is closest to the pier.)

If you could look in your phone books and let us know which companies and which drop off location to choose, it would really help us!

Thanks so much! (Any suggestions about viewing the July 4 fireworks would be appreciated!!)

Liz

I don't know about the rental cars but if I were you I would stay in Quincy (and not because I live here:D ) It is just a little bit closer to everything than Braintree is.

As far as the July 4th fire works, some people (A LOT OF PEOPLE) go the the Esplanade and watch the fireworks and listen to the Boston Pops. Another option is contacting Bay State lines and take a charter cruise out into the harbor and watch them from there.

However :

Liz

Hertz has a rental counter at International Place Tower (2 International Place), which is near the waterfront. Per their website, they will reimburse you the $20 cab fare from the pier (assuming ther cruise terminal). I would check out the website. I know there is an Avis location at Center Plaza, which is across street from City Hall (not near the waterfront).

Also, if you want to stay south of Boston, stay in Quincy as it is closer. There is Cambridge if you want to be near the T (but that can be just as expensive as staying in Boston).

Best Western Adams Inn in Quincy is a great place to stay. They will pick you up & drop off at the airport and/or Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. In fact, give them a call as they may be able to help with a rental agency in their immediate area. Enterprise has two locations in Quincy. My phone book covers areas a bit further SW of Boston.

Driving in Boston is insanity, you don't want to be driving around over the 4th and have to deal with the added traffic and road closings. Public transit is your best bet within the city.

Check out Massport for additional info on Boston. I tried to post a great resource for port info, but it keeps getting *****'d out.

Darcy

The Marriott in Quincy is a nice place to stay. If you rent a car Quincy is easy to drive around with an abundance or restaurants and the Marriott is near to the highway into Boston. If you go into Boston to see the fireworks be prepared to be there really really early. Also be prepared for a really large (and I mean really large) crowd.

We always take the train into Boston for the 4th of July. I NEVER drive in Boston....(I'm from RI) During the 4th there are so many more people you'll spend your whole time in traffic! The fireworks are fabulous..to avoid the crowds we stay at the Marriott Copley in back bay....conveinent to everything, walkable and public transportation!! We have also done the Harbor Cruise for the USS Constitution turn around and that is quite a thing to see!! The Ducks are a must!!

Thanks to all of you who so generously helped us make our plans for Boston in July.

We did book rooms in Quincy at the Best Western, and we are turning in the rental car for the time we are in Boston. (Still need it to explore Vt. and NH, though!):D

Our final cruise payment goes in today, and altho' our bank account is now sagging, our hearts are soaring! We are very excited to come to Boston ... and we thank Bostonians for their generosity!!

Liz

How about a few days at the Cape? I would take Cape Cod anyday over Vermont or New Hampshire. I am originally from Boston. Now I live in RI. I agree with the other lady. I hate driving in Boston. It is like driving in Chicago,Miami, LA or Seattle. Big cities have terrible traffic. Driven in all I named. You can have it. I love Cape Cod. Go down there as much as I can. It is just so pretty and relaxing. Have a great trip no matter what you do.

Esther, Cape traffic over the 4th of July weekend! Yikes, they'll spend hours trying to get over the bridge. We used to keep our boat in Marion & Oysterville, and gave up with the traffic problems heading to the Cape. Best bet is to use public transportation to get around Boston. As far as NH or VT, why not come back in the fall and see the beautiful colors of the season? There's so much to see in the immediate Boston area.

The folks at Adams Inn are wonderful and will drop you off at a nearby restaurant or T-stop. We always stay there if we have an early flight.

Darcy

I agree, avoid Cape Cod! Though it is very nice down there, way too much traffic and people especially during the 4th.

I recommend going to Cape Ann (Gloucester and Rockport). Maybe I'm just more partical to Rockport since I spent my summers up there as a child, but you get more the New England charm in Cape Ann than Cape Cod! Also, instead of VT and NH (though very nice), I would rather go to coastal Maine in the summer. Drive up the coast to York Beach, Oguinquit, and Old Orchard Beach. Even Portland, ME is very nice with the many shops and restaurants.

Lots of great opinions flying around.

Here's one more:

Although Vermont and New Hampshire are beautiful states, there is not alot to see in either state.

I agree with the cautions about Cape Cod automobile traffic, but would recommend taking the ferry to Provincetown (the tip of the Cape) from Boston harbor. You won't need a car while you're there and you can spend a couple of days enjoying the great beaches, artsy shopping, crazy night life, etc.

I agree that Salem, Gloucester, Marblehead, etc. would be fun places to visit on the north shore. You can visit Plymouth on the south shore as well...all from your base in Quincy. If you love cake, you'll have to get to Konditor Meister's in Braintree...truly a world class bakery! It's worth the short drive from Quincy. Their carrot cake is amazing!

We live north of Boston near Concord and it takes about 2 hours to get to the beautiful mountains of VT and NH. Starting from Quincy, and traveling outside of rush hour and holiday traffic, it will take you at least 30 minutes to get to Lexington and Concord - both very interesting. Concord has canoe rides and the Louisa May Alcott house, and other historic home with tours. Salem has the witch museum and the Essex-Peabody Museum. Salem is about 40 minutes from Lexington, and well off main highways. I love Ogunquit, and Portsmouth, NH has a lot of history. Follow the coast!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with alot that has been said. A couple of things. For the 4th of July take the Green Line "T" (Subway) to Lechmere station. Walk down towards the Science Museum. There is a large intersection before the museum. Take a right onto Memorial Drive.There is a Royal Sonesta on the left. In that area is a small park. This area is directly on the Charles River. The Esplanade is on the opposite shore. The area I suggest will probably be busy and you will need to get there hrs early. But won't be nearly as bad as the Esplande. So I've heard. If you want to drive. Take 93N and get off at the exit for the Museum of Science. Stay away from Storrow Drive. When you get to the intersection for Memorial Drive ( on the left) It's the same scenario. Park at the Mall Garage across the street. It might be expensive if they're not offering a special rate.

I love the ride up the coast thru NH and Maine. Make sure to stop in Portsmouth and all along the Maine coast as others have suggested. If you do go to VT check out the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream factory and Cabot Cheese Factory.

I live on the North Shore in MA and love Gloucester and Rockport. In Salem make sure you check out the Peabody-Essex Museum and Pickering Wharf. There are tons of great restaurants right there on Main St. For a quick bite to eat you can get really good food at Brothers on the way to Pickering Wharf.

Have a great time.

Thank you to Fozzy and to all the others who had wonderful suggestions! As we count down to our June departure, I'm getting more and more excited to see all the wonderful sights of New England!!

-Liz

We live north of Boston near Concord and it takes about 2 hours to get to the beautiful mountains of VT and NH. Starting from Quincy, and traveling outside of rush hour and holiday traffic, it will take you at least 30 minutes to get to Lexington and Concord - both very interesting. Concord has canoe rides and the Louisa May Alcott house, and other historic home with tours. Salem has the witch museum and the Essex-Peabody Museum. Salem is about 40 minutes from Lexington, and well off main highways. I love Ogunquit, and Portsmouth, NH has a lot of history. Follow the coast!

Another vote - you must see Ogunquit Maine! It is just over the border (about 1 hour from Boston) on I-95. They have one of the best beaches in the area - a definate must see!

How about visiting Western Massachusetts before your cruise?

I'm a little biased, since I live here, but the Pioneer Valley is beautiful in the summer. There's lots to do, with 5 colleges in the Amherst/Northampton area, the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Tanglewood in Lenox, antiquing in the Berkshires, many excellent restaurants in Northampton, great farmer's markets and roadside stands with pick your own fruits and vegetables (strawberries will be in season during your visit!)throughout the region, Six Flags in Agawam, the Yankee Candle Flagship store in South Deerfield, Old Deerfield (also in Deerfield) and many other great things to see and do!

Here's a link to some information about the Pioneer Valley:

http://www.valleyvisitor.com/index.php?page=home

and another link about Massachusetts tourism:

http://www.massvacation.com/

Hope this helps (and doesn't confuse you more)!

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the area.

Lizbeth,

All my neighbors are steering you away from visiting VT and NH and towards our beautiful coastal villages. But, you MAY really want to see mountains :) . Where are you thinking of visiting in NH and VT? I live in Hingham (coastal town 17 miles south of Boston, not far from Quincy), but ski (alot in VT) and travel all over New England for work. While I agree that all the places OP have mentioned are special, you may really want to see our gorgeous, lush and cool mountains in July too! Let us know if you need advice on where to go up north too!

BTW, the Adams Best Western in Quincy is fine. But, I'm always a little sad when an out-of-towner chooses it....I know the price is right and I'm sure they are friendly etc. But it sits overlooking a congested highway and traffic intersection, an office building and a smelly-at-low-tide water front. It will take awhile to commute in to the sights, shopping, restaurants, museums and fun of Boston. You cannot walk to anything cool or fun. It's not the impression I want my city to have on people! It would be soooo much more convenient and fun to be in Boston. Even the Hyatt at the airport would be better!

Happy planning!

Lynne

Lizbeth,

I just posted on East Coast departures a hotel deal for the Boston Park Plaza. First night $199, second night is what you pay based on your year of birth. ($58 for $1958).

My suggestion would be to stay downtown Boston, not Quincy. Take the T (subway- very easy) to International Place to pick up the car for however many days you want to rent it after you settle into your hotel. Keep in mind, parking in Boston, especially at hotels, will run you well over $30 a day.

The Cape is beautiful, but not on the 4th of July, as the traffic will kill you. NH and VT are also fun to visit, but as other said, depends on where you go, and what you want see.

You could always take Commuter Rail to Salem, Mass and see Pickering Wharf, and the Witch Museum, House of Seven Gables and such. Might be a better alternative than renting and driving in Massachusetts.

Feel free to ask any more specific questions.

Archived