My money was wasted on a balcony!

toledo

When we get a balcony I will spend at least one whole day sitting out there watching the waves and the endless ocean. I will have my ipod with speakers playing my favorite tunes softly in the background, while I sip on a rum and coke. I don't read, nor nap, I just watch the waves roll the horizon and listen to the ships wake . This is one of those times in my life I wish I could just freeze time.

I've done it both ways. First cruise was an ocean view. IMHO not worth the extra $$, an inside would have been just fine.

Second cruise, Balcony Suite. I loved having that private space to enjoy the ocean.

As a 10 year US Navy veteran, I've spent a lot of time at sea, somehow I just never get tired of the view!! There is just something so peaceful and relaxing about the unbroken vista of the sea. Toss in a pair of binoculars to observe the occasional freighter or tanker.......yeah.....I really like having the balcony.

That said, I'd probably opt for an inside for a short cruise, but on a 7 day or longer......balcony every time!!

When I am cruising with my DH we always book a balcony or suite cabin as we really enjoy sitting out there and spending time enjoying coffee in the morning and always out there in the evening. Wouldn't trade that time with him for anything! However, when I travel with my family and DH stays home we don't typically opt for a balcony as we are on the go more than if just me and DH. Never done an inside though, have to have at least an ocean view.

On our last cruise we booked a balcony, first one out of 11 cruises. We liked it, but wouldn't spend the extra $$ again. We have done interior, they are fine, but our choice is oceanview. We have an OV booked for Jan. :D

Since we live close to Long Beach and cannot really do a 7 day cruise we do the 3-day Baja Mexico cruise. We splurge and book the Cat 12 suite. Would not do it any other way. On sea day you can just look out to the ocean. The day at Ensenada there is nothing funnier then watching the drunk people try to get on the ship. You can tell a true friend that holds the bucket from Papa's & Beers (I think) for you as you stand in line to get on the ship. We booked the same rooms this year just so we can watch this process from the balcony while drinking a vadka soda for me and a jack and coke for my DH.

Am I the only one to feel this way? We spent very little time out there. There really wasn't much to see, only miles and miles of water. It was dark when we pulled into port and all signs of land were gone within minutes of leaving each port. Even when looking out, the top of the railing (wooden part) is at eye level so it blocks the view. Under the 5 inch wooden top was about an inch of smeared brown glue. The rest of the plexiglass railing was all water-marked, so not real easy to see through. Every night I would hear clicking noised coming from the balcony. I finally figured out it was one of the dividers blowing in the wind. I was able to push some of the patio furniture up against the partition to stop the noise. I guess what people are really buying when they get a balcony is a place in the sun that is usually quiet. We usually prefer to hang out where the action is, up on the public decks.

No I'm sure you are not the only one who feels that way...but let me tell you those of us that do love the balconies...can sit for hours and look at the flying fish, whales, dolphins, birds ect. I love the balcony, esp the AFT ones. I do spend more $$ to be there and love everyminute of it. You can have the inside cabins..they may be cheaper but I want my Balcony, OV if no balcony available. I went to Alaska and was hooked on a balcony there and have had a balcony on every ship that I could get one on. I love going out before bed and looking at the stars and moon

BF and I like sitting outside, regardless of where, so it's worth every penny to us...We'd sit out there every morning, before dinner having a drink, and then a nightcap before bed.

We also do this!

I would never cruise with out one.

I agree with the OP. I have had a balcony on 2 cruises and felt it was a waste of money. Took an Alaskan cruise that everyone swore you had to have a balcony. We maybe sat on it 2 hours total for the entire cruise. When we were near anything to really see, other than beautiful scenery it was usually on the other side of the ship or in front. We spent much more time on the upper deck outside so it was better viewing. Problem with beautiful scenery is the last 20 miles is just like the next 20 miles and just like the next 20 and on and on. So for me I will take the inside where it is dark and I can sleep when I want.

I found the balcony to be uninhabitable for a large part of the day when sailing the Caribbean in summer. It was like sitting in an oven. Early mornings and late evenings were more pleasant.

That was my experience as well but after having outside cabins the past two cruises we've booked a balcony over thanksgiving on Freedom. I'm hoping it is not sweltering like it was on the Glory at the end of August when we were on her.

I love my balcony. I also go for the peace and quiet and spend a lot of time out there. I am a night shift worker and I am out on the balcony at night for hours. I will not book unless I can have an aft balcony.

I am going on my 4th cruise in Oct, and I booked my first baloney, I am very excited about that. So I hope I dont feel like I wasted my money, I still think its going to be really nice to be able to go out there in the morning with my coffee, and smell the ocean air.

I sure hope it is worth the extra money.

I have tears in my eyes after reading about your first baloney. It must be that it's very late and I'm semi-delirious, but thanks for that belly-laugh! :p :p :p :p

I personally love balcony cabins. I've done three balcony, one inside. And I only did inside because it was a chartered cruise and I paid way too much for three days. However, I had absolutely no time it was and I hated that. And I felt very closed in. However, if I had to do it, I would do it because it's a cruise!

Thanks everyone for the great posts. While reading the posts I felt like I was on my balcony and could almost feel the breeze and smell the ocean air. There is no other way to cruise than with a balcony! It makes the vacation so much more relaxing.

First two cruises - OV, next two cruises - balcony. Next cruise OV I think. Enjoyed my balcony. I liked to sit out there and read while DH took his nap. But since I enjoy everything about my cruises, I don't think it is will be a problem going back to the OV.

I know some posters say that once you've had a balcony, you won't be able to go back. I guess I didn't love the balcony that much to make it a condition of cruising.

I guess you can call us balcony snobs. We have always, and will always continue to book a balcony cabin. The balcony "escape" is very important to us - with 4 of us in a cabin, it gives dd16 a place to speak to her boyfriend in private while in port, it gives dh and I a private place to discuss plans, ;) etc., and, most important, it gives dd19, who is special needs, a place to go and collect herself and relax. It is not uncommon for all 4 of us to be sitting on the balcony at night, or while in port, etc. We use the balcony a lot, if just for many small periods of time during the day/night. We love sitting on the balcony as we sail into a port in the early a.m. I love reading on the balcony, and catching some sun there instead of on Lido with the crowd. It is our own small slice of heaven, at least for 7 days!

When I go to a beach resort, I will pay extra for an ocean view room rather than a resort view. Works the same way on a ship. When I wake up in the morning, I want to know that I'm somewhere other than home. Inside doesn't do that. Ocean view cabins are okay, but they're kind of like being in a hotel where the window doesn't open and you have to go all the way outside to get a breath of fresh air or to feel like you are actually there.

I don't think I would ever stay in a windowless hotel...even for a better price.

Am I the only one to feel this way? We spent very little time out there. There really wasn't much to see, only miles and miles of water. It was dark when we pulled into port and all signs of land were gone within minutes of leaving each port. Even when looking out, the top of the railing (wooden part) is at eye level so it blocks the view. Under the 5 inch wooden top was about an inch of smeared brown glue. The rest of the plexiglass railing was all water-marked, so not real easy to see through. Every night I would hear clicking noised coming from the balcony. I finally figured out it was one of the dividers blowing in the wind. I was able to push some of the patio furniture up against the partition to stop the noise. I guess what people are really buying when they get a balcony is a place in the sun that is usually quiet. We usually prefer to hang out where the action is, up on the public decks.

I agree totally. We had a balcony on our first 7 day cruise, and was only out there maybe an hour!!!!!!!! SO we save money on Balcony and get OV instead. Still get to see the ocean, and have more room in cabin.

so don't feel left out. Everyone says get a balcony. but why? if you don't like to be where the people are, why cruise. If you want to just sit and read, go to a land based hotel, and sit and read. I find too much to do to sit and read on a cruise. HECK, i could not even keep up with my journal.

... for the olympics.

No way Jose!

One brave attempt at that before, which was cut short by the guy next door coughing.

I did what any respectable woman would do and got my butt in the cabin and left DH quite....em....exposed. :eek: :p

I guess this means I am not an exhibitionist (not that there's anything wrong with that) ;)

would have to be quite drunk in order to attempt balcony olympics again.

(not that this can't happen) :D

We love having a balcony. When we started cruising many years ago our first two cruises were interiors. After that we decided to try a cabin with a balcony. We got hooked. Its nice sometimes to just go out by yourself and enjoy the peace and quiet. Sit and look out into the ocean. A nice place to regroup. This year we are treating ourselves to a catagory 12 suite. :) Never had one of these before.

Archived