My money was wasted on a balcony!

toledo

Am I the only one to feel this way? We spent very little time out there. There really wasn't much to see, only miles and miles of water. It was dark when we pulled into port and all signs of land were gone within minutes of leaving each port. Even when looking out, the top of the railing (wooden part) is at eye level so it blocks the view. Under the 5 inch wooden top was about an inch of smeared brown glue. The rest of the plexiglass railing was all water-marked, so not real easy to see through. Every night I would hear clicking noised coming from the balcony. I finally figured out it was one of the dividers blowing in the wind. I was able to push some of the patio furniture up against the partition to stop the noise. I guess what people are really buying when they get a balcony is a place in the sun that is usually quiet. We usually prefer to hang out where the action is, up on the public decks.

after our first cruise, we started booking interior rooms. although i miss looking out the window to see what the weather is like, it just isn't worth extra money for windows & balconies because we don't spend much time in the room. i'm sure there are others that use their balconies & feel quite differently - i've seen posts saying that they kept their balcony door open at night. shoot, i can't even leave the curtains open at night, much less a door!

I also like the balcony and that view of the ocean. I like sitting out there with a cup of coffee in the morning and it feels like I'm a million miles away from all my cares. Sometimes I like being where all the action is, too.

We don't all like the same thing and that's what makes cruising so great. We can all have the things we like! Lucky you! Now that you know you don't use the balcony, you'll be able to book an inside or oceanview for a much better price. You'll probably be able to cruise twice as much! :)

I am going on my 4th cruise in Oct, and I booked my first baloney, I am very excited about that. So I hope I dont feel like I wasted my money, I still think its going to be really nice to be able to go out there in the morning with my coffee, and smell the ocean air.

I sure hope it is worth the extra money.

I agree Peaceful. On our last cruise, we spent hours and hours on our balcony. We saw lots of flying fish. We saw a double rainbow! Lots of exploring with the binoculars we brought along. We ate most of our meals on the balcony (carried from the buffet on trays). Our cabin steward was kind enough to keep our collapsible cooler full of ice for our tasty beverages. :0 I guess it depends on what you are trying to get out of your cruise experience, and what kind of "action" appeals to you. Isn't it wonderful that there is something for everyone on a cruise?

I guess, to each his own. Like most, we started inside, moved to outside and then to a balcony.

While we do not spend the entire cruise in our cabin, the balcony is great to be on when wanting a quiet place to relax, to have that first cup of coffee, and to just watch for a shooting star before going to bed.

We've had them in the Caribbean and in Alaska. While I wouldn't give up cruising if the balconies all got sold out, I do prefer them.

I've never had a balcony, for the reason the OP stated... I'm not in the cabin all that much!

BUT, I disagree with the OP. I would LOVE the miles and miles of sea and the darkness!!! I'd be out there with my face in the wind, loving every minute of it!!! BUT, that is MY CHOICE and not everyone is the same...

I know the OP will save the money next time and enjoy the cruise, just as much!!!!

I loved our balcony on our cruise to the Mexican Riviera......got to see Whales, Dolphins and a lot of flying fish.....we spent a great deal of time there, we had three dividers opened up and had a long balcony for all of us...it was great getting up first thing in the morning having coffee watching the sun come up, and then watch the ship pull into port..it was awesome!

Can't wait for our cruise on the Triumph...hoping to get all 7 of our balconies opened!

I am going on my 4th cruise in Oct, and I booked my first baloney, I am very excited about that. So I hope I dont feel like I wasted my money, I still think its going to be really nice to be able to go out there in the morning with my coffee, and smell the ocean air.

I sure hope it is worth the extra money.

I hope you didn't pay too much more. I'd really rather have ham and cheese. ;)

Kidding! I absolutely love the balcony. My DH and I sit on it every morning and have room service bring coffee and fruit. We keep the door open and hear the waves all night. Hmmm. Wish I was there now!

Am I the only one to feel this way? We spent very little time out there. There really wasn't much to see, only miles and miles of water. It was dark when we pulled into port and all signs of land were gone within minutes of leaving each port. Even when looking out, the top of the railing (wooden part) is at eye level so it blocks the view. Under the 5 inch wooden top was about an inch of smeared brown glue. The rest of the plexiglass railing was all water-marked, so not real easy to see through. Every night I would hear clicking noised coming from the balcony. I finally figured out it was one of the dividers blowing in the wind. I was able to push some of the patio furniture up against the partition to stop the noise. I guess what people are really buying when they get a balcony is a place in the sun that is usually quiet. We usually prefer to hang out where the action is, up on the public decks.

HOLY TOLEDO!

Huh??

say that again?

Wow. this is a first!

I guess to each his own.. but miles and miles of a great ocean is a wonder in itself.. i dont think i ever heard someone not find the beauty in that.

I am not judging you .. i am only bewildered.. !:)

Look at the bright side, you will save alot of money on your next cruise!!

Enjoy!

BF and I like sitting outside, regardless of where, so it's worth every penny to us...We'd sit out there every morning, before dinner having a drink, and then a nightcap before bed.

Everyone has a varying opinion on this which is fine. I have stayed anywhere from a 4A to a Cat 12 suite and for me booking an Inside GTY is just fine. We have been lucky getting upgrades most of the time doing this but even when we don't an inside is fine with us. We like to take an early morning stroll with our coffe on deck as it is pretty scarce of people at 7AM up there anyways. Also can cruise twice for an inside for the price of a balcony most times. To each his own I guess.

I've never had a balcony, for the reason the OP stated... I'm not in the cabin all that much!

We always get a balcony for the reason you stated above. Because we are never in our cabin;)

We spend a tremendous of time on our balcony.......and I am tall enough to see over the railing:D

I also love Balconies, having breakfast that cup of coffee, relaxing later and watching the sea go by is just wonderful to me and even leaving the door open at night is fine with me. :) But that being said I'd still cruise without one if that was my only choice.

For me, those miles and miles of water are exactly what I'm looking for. Peace and quiet is at a premium in my life.

Sorry OP, I have to agree with Peaceful! We just had our first cruise and I absolutely LOVED the balcony! I saw so much from it! I am into audiobooks and I just fired up my MP3 player with a book on it, sat in a chair and watched the miles go by! Seemed like everytime I tried to "read" my book elsewhere somebody insisted on starting a conversation and since I hate to be rude I would turn off my book, listen to them tell me all about whatever the heck they would babble on about, make polite conversation and wish they would just leave because I was at a good part of the book! LOL! I too love having my first cup of coffee froom room service on my balcony, not having to fight the crowd and just have some "me" time before the day starts. This trip was the most relaxing vacation I have ever had and I attribute that in great part to the balcony.

As others have pointed out, isn't it great we can all get what we want?!

Just had our first balcony (an aft) and I thought I would love having my coffee out there. Did it the first morning, but then I would go walking and get a chair and have my coffee there so never did any other morning. (Had to save my chair) My DH loved it for when I got ready he relaxed out there and when we tired of laying out by the pool, we would go there and relax and have some quiet time. We did have 4 sea days so we felt we got our money worth. I could take them or leave them and Aft location too, but DH loved it and loved the aft. Our cruise in the fall is an 11 day so we got a balcony, but I can see us going back to an interior with no problems. If my TA can get us great deals like on this last cruise and our upcoming cruise then I would go for a balcony again.:)

I can get a little claustrophobic, so an inside room just wasn't for me. But I tried. We don't spend a whole lot of time out there, but its a nice place to chill out in the afternoon and read. Everyone's preference will be different. My DH was in the Navy, so he could sleep in the boiler room and be OK -he keeps claiming if I book an inside we can cruise more often, but I'll believe that when I see it!

I'm glad to hear it actually. I've heard so many people say that once you cruise on a balcony you will never go back to an inside cabin and that scares me cuz I cannot afford to cruise balcony price. I got a deal on my cruise in 2 weeks and have a extended aft balcony which is crazy exciting. However, I was totally fine with my inside cabin when I went to Hawaii cuz it was all about the ports and what excursions we had planned. Very busy so no time to use the cabin except to sleep, shower, change etc. This cruise is all about the rest and relaxation so a balcony sounds really nice. I like the idea of sitting on the balcony drinking a cup of coffee in the morning or a jack & coke before dinner.

I hope I don't get addicted to a balcony cuz I really liked my inside cabin - always dark, slept like a baby, super quiet. Can't complain at all about either one. As long as I get to cruise, I'll be happy.

Archived