NYC Grand Princess Embarkation ~ Problems?

tango223

We are on the Grand Princess Canada/New England cruise from NYC and I see from some of the previous posts that there are problems with embarkation from the NYC port. We are taking a cab from Ft Lee New Jersey (GW Bridge) and am concerned that we will be stuck in alot of traffic near the port. We hope that the problems were only temporary since we don't want to drive to NYC and pay for the parking which will be a lot more than the cab. But hearing horror stories about the 2 hour wait in line in a cab to get to the port concerns us.

Can someone from the more recent experience give us some advice/good news?

:confused:

Thank you !!!

Do you live in New Jersey or are you flying in to an airport there? Have you inquired if Princess has transfers available? Are there any special shuttles like the ones in Florida? I have never cruised out of NY (obviously) but those are the things I would ask.

We are staying with my mother in Fort Lee NJ for one night and leaving our car at her place and debating on whether to take our car and pay for the parking in NYC or just get a cab. Should only be a 20-30 min drive on a Sun...but was worried about the line of traffic getting to the ship.

When we went on the Golden Princess a couple of years ago from NYC, the worst part of the morning was seeing our ship about 4 blocks away--and then being stuck in traffic for about 15 minutes and seeing the cab meter keep going while we're standing still.

Have you checked to see if there's limousine service available? It may be cheaper to pay a fixed fare than one that keeps going up when you're stuck in traffic like we were. Or could your mother or one of her friends drive you to the terminal?

For a seven day cruise the price to park at the pier is $168. They accept Cash, Visa, Master Card or Travelers Checks. Attached is a link to their website. http://www.nypst.com/

Since you are coming from Ft. Lee you will only have the one way toll at the GW and the small amount of gas you will use to get to the other side of the river. Compare that to the price of a cab or car service. Getting to the pier should not be too bad since you are coming down the WS Highway on a Sunday. The real nightmare, that you will not have, is entering from the south and making the U Turn into the terminal. BTW, are you disembarking on 10/24. If so you will definitely want to drive and park on top. Sunday 10/24 is the busiest day of the year at the NYPST. The Grand Princess, Norwegian Dawn, Carnival Legend (which I am on), Constallation, Deutschland and Seven Seas Navigator will all be there. Getting a cab or car service from there will be a nightmare. If you have your car you can just drive off the roof and be on your way.

Appreciate everyone's comments. We will be retuning a week earlier so will miss the worse day scenerio. I have looked into car services...but haven't found one without a minimum 2 or 3 hours which would end up more than the cab or parking ourselves. My mom doesn't drive so isn't an option for us.

We're driving to NY Pier from Southern NJ. We're parking at the pier. What time do you think will be the least hectic? When parking at the pier do you still have to wait in that traffic or drive right in?

I assume you are sailing on 10/10. On that day 4 ships will be at the NYPST(Grand Princess, Europa, Norwegian Dawn and Seven Seas Navigator). If you arrive at 11:00 most of the disembarking passegers will be gone. When you get to the NYPST you will have 3 options Pick Up (Street Level) Drop Off (Middle) and Parking (Top). You will take the ramp up to the top. This ramp will have little or no backup since very few people park at the pier.

Archived