Air to Barcelona

I've found that there's a lot of really cheap deals from Britain to Europe (easyjet, ryanair etc). So try researching flights to London then London to Barcelona. When I was originally thinking of doing this trip in May 05, I did some research and would be able to get all my flights for CDN $700 (flyzoom.com to Britain and ryanair.com to Europe) as opposed to $1200 if flying direct.

Good information. There is a term out there called flying through the back door and what you have described is that term. In 2002 I got a flight out of Phoenix for $325 including tax flying into London Heathrow on a 777. I was able to find a flight on down to Frankfurt for $124 round trip. At the time I was checking out the Christmas Markets in Germany and it worked out very well. Once I arrived in Frankfurt I just walked across the street from the terminal where there is a train station at the Air Port and headed for the Freiburgh area. (Neat trip & the dark beer was wonderful)

There are two issues to watch for. First of all make sure your flight is in and out of the same airport. Yes you can get a cheap flight going down to central Europe but it can be a real hassle Going from Heathow to Stands. Second if you fly into London and change Air Carriers I think in most cases you will now only be allowed to carry only 45-50lbs of luggage instead of the 70 lbs. Also keep an eye out on the low cost carriers in Europe. I have heard that there is a bubble coming. I like flying at a great price but if Airline goes belley up I'm probably out of what I paid for the ticket. Maybe even stranded. Tim and Cathy

I just checked our Delta info online for our ATL-BCN for next May. All was fine there and then I checked the fare OH MY! It is almost $500 more than it was in May. I am so glad that we have it all arranged. We also had a e-letter from Delta acknowledging their difficulties but assuring the faithful that the frequent flyer program will not be disrupted. There was no mention about a fuel surcharge that I heard about on the news tonight. At this point it will be anticipated if the price of fuel doesn't go down. That goes for all of our flights in the near future.

Just noticed that if I book a round trip ticket to Barcelona, rather then one way, the ticket is 50% cheaper. Is there any reason why I cannot book my ticket as a round trip and then only use the ticket to go one way?

Carol

• 5 weeks later...

SuefrankW and those going on Splendour in Oct.'05: It's almost time to start getting prices for our flights on discount sites. I've plugged in Oct. 4th with return on 10/15 and I'm getting prices of $698 R/T from ATL and $630 R/T Tampa, which is closest for us. Son lives in GA, that's why I'm checking ATL, also they have non-stop. Is that about what you're finding? Let's keep in touch as we are on the same sailing 10/22 (I think) and we both live in Florida. I'm also checking Orlando, but so far Tampa is cheapest. We went on this same exact cruise 9/02 and had to pay $870 R/T from Atlanta. I hope you and your family stay well.

Mimi

I got $484 for Manchester, NH (Us Airways & Iberia) and $664 from Boston, MA (British Airways). No nonstops. I checked for Oct. 7 - Oct. 15. I'm using travelocity.

My friend is flying out of Atlanta, so keep me posted on your findings.

Leighuf: Are you also on the 10/22 sailing? And Suefrankw: you are probably wondering why I said we live in FL. when our location at the top still says LA. We bought a house in Spring Hill last Jan. and are moving permanently this Dec. when I retire from court reporting position here in Lafayette. We can't wait!! We are going on the Rhapsody 11/28-12/5 out of Galveston, so when we return I plan to start lurking around the airfare sites looking for prices to BCN. We plan on staying 3 nites pre-cruise in an apartment and flying back home on Sat. when we disembark. We did that last time in 9/02 and it worked out great. Leigh, we also stayed in Continental, but it was September and we had a teensy room with no A/C and we almost smothered. This time we're going with daughter and hubby and decided on an apartment in Gothic Quarter. There's some really neat places to stay on the web sites. Let's keep in touch with all our findings.

Wendy,

glad you enjoyed the cruise. Oct 22, 2005 seems so far but it will be here before we kow it. We are also booked at the same hotel. They say it is convenient to everything. Did you find that also? and the ports- what did you do in each? tour on own- private tour or ship tour-

thanks!!!

Leighuf: Are you also on the 10/22 sailing?

Mimicsr- Yes, I'm on the Oct. 22 sailing! I'm bringing a friend with me & we are soo excited! I'm up in Southern New Hampshire & I lived in FL from 1985-2003 (Orlando, Gainesville, and Jacksonville). Good luck with your move! I know you'll love Florida! I miss it!

As of right now, I'm not sure about pre-cruise. I would like to fly in a day early (arrive on Friday), but my friend might not be able to do this. She's tight on vacation days. So, I'm hoping to fly in Friday, if not then Saturday and leave the day the cruise ends.

Can any of you give me a review of British Airways, Air France, or Lufthansa? I've never used them. Also, I'm getting cheap rates with US Airways, but I'm a little scared of them. I'd hate for them to go under . . . what would happen to my ticket? I'm also worried because their prices are SO MUCH LOWER than any other airline. $484!

suefrankw-

Yes, the Hotel is close to EVERTHING! We spent hours walking around besides using the hop on /off bus. I have done a review of most of the ports under Splendour of the Seas Oct. 23 on this Board, but would be happy to answer any specific questions. Barcelona was fabulous as were all of the ports.

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

Can any of you give me a review of British Airways, Air France, or Lufthansa? I've never used them. Also, I'm getting cheap rates with US Airways, but I'm a little scared of them. I'd hate for them to go under . . . what would happen to my ticket? I'm also worried because their prices are SO MUCH LOWER than any other airline. $484!

All airlines are FINE. The best out of three IMHO is British. They have movie screens with different channels for every PAX. They give you saome extra things...

Didn't fly on Air France for some time so can't say anything.

suefrankw and mimicsr ~

Just wanted to say "hi" and hope we all get a chance to meet on the Splendour! As I mentioned in an earlier post we are a group of friends that work in St. Pete and we will be traveling with you.

Wish I had been paying attention when the airfares dropped! If either of you see a sale can you email me directly? I would appreciate it so much!

Linda
[email="mgobluee2@aol.com"]mgobluee2@aol.com[/email]

SuefrankW & LeTue: We're back from our Rhapsody cruise and hubby had his surgery, so we have to wait til 1/15 for our final move to FLA. But all is well. Now the search begins for decent airfare for 10/22 cruise out of BCN. I'm looking for 10/18 departure and 10/29 return and I'm getting prices in 800-900 range. What's wrong?? Are either of you finding anything less? Maybe it's too early, but I don't want to risk the chance of all seats being sold. I don't even mind 2 stops, but would prefer 1 or non-stop. Should I try MCO or Miami. How about TPA to JFK on Jet-Blue and then British?? If either of you find anything in the $600 range please email me at [email]mimicsr@bellsouth.com[/email]. Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to meeting both of you.
Mimi

Hi Mimi,

glad things went well.
I have been searching for air as well. Found the 700-900 range too. Have also looked at Orlando, Miami and Atlanta - all the same. US Air has had the cheapest but a bit hesitant to seriously consider them. Did find the $500 range from NYC which would mean a flight to NY but.... we are traveling 10/20/05 to and 10/31/05 home- unless I find some supersale for other days.

• 4 weeks later...
I would be happy to get any of the fares you folks are quoting. The cheapest I can find from Alberta, Canada is $1716 plus taxes through Air Canada. That also includes 2 stops. My ta tells me it is a bit early to book for a August sailing and that so fare RCCL fare is cheaper than Air Canada. I am almost wondering if it cheaper to fly to the states and then to Bacelona.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone- good advice[/b]
[b]We are on the RCI Splendour cruising on October 22 Barcelona round trip- got a great deal with online TA now looking to air.

We just book this date today!!!! I cannot begin to describe how excited I am!! Cruising with husband and our sons , 15 & 13.

[quote name='kirky']I would be happy to get any of the fares you folks are quoting. The cheapest I can find from Alberta, Canada is $1716 plus taxes through Air Canada. That also includes 2 stops. My ta tells me it is a bit early to book for a August sailing and that so fare RCCL fare is cheaper than Air Canada. I am almost wondering if it cheaper to fly to the states and then to Bacelona.[/QUOTE]

Ouch...I was looking today at September and I was getting $1,200 us from Vancouver. I'd check into Seattle if I were you. See what the difference is. I've previously seen flights from about $700 us.

Hello:
We just booked our airfare to BCN last week. We are going one way from Chicago to BCN, via Dublin on Aerlingus for $289, in November. Call Aerlingus as they will let you do one ways, as well as stay overs. If you do a stayover in Dublin, your connecting flight will be part of your original TA ticket and you can have the 70 lb luggage weight as opposed to the 44 lb on normal internal Europe flight. Same route from Boston was $277.

Stay away from Iberia unless you are a glutton for punishment. First class is fine but coach will leave you miserable.
Swiss air also had good rates.

Good luck.

For the poster that is doing the transatlantic from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale check cheaptickets and also Priceline ( they also show the price and the airline, if you want to book without biding). We paid 186 for our NY to London one way for our Transtalantic in Sept. this year

Guys
If you can find the airfare for under 600 I would grab it. It is costing us more (657) to fly NYC to London an back this summer ....June 28-July 17 for our cruise......Only airline that came in cheaper was Kuwait and wanted to be on a major carrier for either Europe or US....so we are going with American....

Archived