Air to Barcelona

WCAB,

For one-way air, check a consolidator. I'm on the Liberty Transatlantic Oct. 24th. We need one-way to Rome. Check [url]www.airvalues.com[/url] and [url]www.sidestep.com[/url]. These consolidators specialize in one-way fares. I'm looking at around $500 one-way from San Francisco to Rome.

Yes, you can book a round trip and just use one portion (it's a no-no but most likely nothing will happen) BUT make sure you use the first leg of the round-trip ticket. If you don't use the outbound flight, your return will be cancelled.

I've been looking at airfares from Dallas/Ft. Worth on May 25-June 4, 2005 and really found nothing lower than $800 with flights booked from DFW. Then I saw a USAir flight from Chicago to BCN via Philadelphia for $537 (direct flight from Philadelphia to BCN was $640 - go figure!). I wanted to wait before I booked this flight to see if the US Air Unions voted to accept paycuts on Jan. 20th. They did and I started looking again at Chicago to BCN and up popped an American flight for $479 through Dublin with a return flight through London. I ended up booking this flight using airline vouchers ($600) and then paid for 3 of our 4 tickets from DFW to Chicago with miles and purchased one ticket for $256. Total cost for 4 of us: $1572 (minus my 75,000 turned-in miles).

Long and short of it, I checked multiple airlines (using Orbitz) to find who had non-stop airfare to BCN - seems the only ones are Delta from NY-Kennedy and Atlanta and US Air from Philadelphia. Delta's flights were way overpriced from anywhere (lowest $700 from Atlanta) on my dates and I'm worried about the stability of US Air. Plus, I had that $600 in American vouchers that expired in March. So, I was lucky to finally find flights with good times and prices on American. We will have to stay overnight in Chicago on the return flight home, but that shouldn't be as bad as having to stay overnight in London with limited hotel options and time.

If you are going on American through Chicago and Dublin to get to BCN, you are most likely going to be on Aerlingus out of Chicago and Dublin. Be aware that if that is so, you will need to go to terminal 5 to pick up you connecting flight, not terminal 3 where all the American flights are. The is a good tram to get you there but check on the luggage transport issue. We have had to do this both ways, the easier is one check in, but have also had to recheck our luggage on the "partner" airline.

If you want an good inexpensive hotel near the airport, there is a Sheraton 4 Points. It has great airport transportation and we use it frequently.

Sunnystone, I believe this is actually a new flight to Dublin on American - it doesn't say anything about a codeshare on Orbitz or on the American site - it's supposed to be a Boeing 763 with 2-3-2 seats. Also, when I first tried booking this flight, the airline reservationist told me they didn't fly to Dublin from Chicago and I told her that I had flight #92. She then sounded surprised and said, "Oh, there it is." Finally, a lady whose husband works at AA said, "Oh, yeah, I heard they're now flying to Dublin." So, who knows where the gate will be, eh?

Thanks for the hotel recommendation - we get in to Chicago at 7pm Saturday night and don't fly out till 5:30pm the next day - we hoped to see the Modern Art Museum while we were there. Is the Sheraton a good hotel for that?

If you want to go downtown you should book a downtown hotel. It will give you the better experience in this great city. The airport (ORD) is about a 1/2 hour ride from downtown. If you stay out by the airport you can take a train into the city from the airport. You may want to consider staying at the Hyatt which is attached to the airport. I'm sure you could get the Sheraton to drop you at the train station too.
Good Luck.
I am intrigued by American flying into Dublin. Wonder how that effects the code share and one world alliance?

I know most of you are flying from the US but for West Coast Canadians - I just booked my air on KLM via Amsterdam. We sail on the Brilliance of the Seas on June 5-05. Vancouver BC to Barcelona - had to add an extra day in Barcelona because of air times. While researching I found flight pricing is quite high from here (compared to what you lucky folks in the US are quoting here) and availability is limited. So ... if you are flying from the west coast of Canada, better think about booking soon. JMHO Laurey

Hi all,
just found a $500 air Miami to Barcelona with 1 stop each way. Tampa & Orlando are running $675 and up so far. I guess it is still early but 500 is attractive - gbut would have a 4 hour drive each way. Is it worth it?????????? Thinking if it is or not!!

• 2 weeks later...
Suefrankw: Hello, it's me again. I've been off-line since our move to Spring Hill, but now are finally back on again. The $500 Miami-BCN sounds great. Who is it with? I would book it in an instant! What days are you going, and how many of you? We are 2 adults only. Maybe we could ride together?? I am starting to get a little nervous, but it's still early, and we are VERY flexible as we're retired now and don't have a work schedule to worry about. Let me know what you are doing air-fare-wise. By the way, new e-mail address is [email]mimindave@trnii.com[/email].

[quote name='suefrankw']Hi all,
just found a $500 air Miami to Barcelona with 1 stop each way. Tampa & Orlando are running $675 and up so far. I guess it is still early but 500 is attractive - gbut would have a 4 hour drive each way. Is it worth it?????????? Thinking if it is or not!![/QUOTE]

A few years ago we flew to Paris from Miami because the airfare was cheaper, I think the difference was about $100pp or so. But what a pain that was!! I think the biggest drawback for me was driving for four hours from the airport after a long flight. I was tired, hungry, and sleepy; we got home around 1am, not fun.

Also, factor in how much you would pay in parking during your trip. Parking at the Miami airport is NOT cheap. Where as if you left from Tampa, your relatives or friends can drive you to the airport as a favor and you can have a more relaxed trip.

Think about it. Personally, I will never do that again, unless it was 3+ people on the trip, then the finance aspect of it will weight in more.

If you are sailing on the Splendour of the Seas October 22, 2005 to the Med, be sure you check out the roll call thread!!

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=90655"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=90655[/url]

Hi all,

mimicsr, glad you are settled in. the $500 r/t air was on american airlines from Miami with 1 stop. Lost it somehow and was unable to get it back on the computer. Have been getting others from MIA for $606 on sidestep.com. But I am trying from TPA, MCO and MIA every day to see what I can come up with.So far, that was the only tempting flight not from TPA.
Hubbie & I are thinking about flying Thurs afternoon and returning Monday day.- Depending on the flights, etc.
Leigh, I will check out the other thread also.

Sue: I have found TPA flights to BCN also on Sidestep. Most recently I've been using a site called ITAsoftware.com (think it stands for Int.Travel Agents Software??). The flight is $605/pp, total of $1211.10 for 2 on Delta out of Tampa with 1 stop at JFK and 2 stops coming back, Madrid and JFK. It tells you to go directly to Delta with a phone# or take the printout to a travel agent. You must use the exact codes to get the fare. I think I'm going to try the Delta phone number they give and see what happens. We, too, are flying out Thurs. afternoon, but returning Tue.morning instead of Monday because we want to rent an apt. for 3 nights in BCN and really take in the city this time. You can't get apartments for 2 nights, or they're very rare. It's Flt.#1990 (Delta) at 2 p.m., arriving JFK 4:32, leaving JFK at 5:50 and arriving BCN 7:45 a.m. The return flight is at 10:30 a.m., arriving back in Tampa at 9:13. Not bad, huh? Let me know what you think.
Mimi

WOW those delta flights aren't bad. I'm not sure that we would be able to stay until Tues- Monday return flights are probably a bit higher.Apt sounds nice to rent. We are thinking of hostel Opera on the Rambas or the Hotel Continental on the Rambas.

I don't really want to drive to Miami- esp on the way back...

After reading this thread, I feel pretty good about the fare we got for the 10/15/05 sailing on the Brilliance. It's from LAX, and I noticed most of your fares are from the eastern US. We got ours from Bestfares.com, whom I've used before. They charge an annual fee, so using them multiple times pays you back for the fee.

We got roundtrip LAX to Barcelona with a stopover in London, including two nights hotel, for $800 pp. My TA said she couldn't find any West Coast fares under $750, so we grabbed it for the hotel included. Nice hotel, too, from what I can see.

I subscribe to Bestfares email newsletter, and check my fares for various travel: to see friends, for my sons, etc.

Good luck on tracking down those airfares. I have a couple sites to check I'd really recommend. They seem to track a lot of sources that Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia misses - [url]www.kayak.com[/url] and [url]www.Mobissimo.com[/url], as well as the previously mentioned sidestep. I haven't had much luck for our trip (Oct 5 on Grand Princess) since 1) we're flying from the Rocky Mountains - never any good deals from here; and 2) we need multi city air - going to Venice and returning from Barcelona. If anyone has any hints for me, I'd sure appreciate it. Princess air is dependable, but right now costing more than the cruise.

Sue & Leigh: I went ahead and booked our flight with Delta, the same as what I mentioned in my posting of 2/21, Flight 1990 at 2 p.m. out of Tampa to JFK, then on to Barcelona. I got it for $608.00/pp, and Delta said if it went down in cost, they would credit the difference for another flight in the future. That sort of sealed it for me. We are returning on Tue. 11/1 at 10:30, thru Madrid & JFK, getting in at 9:13 p.m. We also rented an apartment for 3 nights post-cruise at a really good rate right in the Barri Gotic close to Ramblas. The one night pre-cruise we are staying at Hostel Dali on Boqueria in Barri Gotic. It looked pretty good. It's our first time in a hostel, but it's only one night, so what the heck. We stayed at Continental last time but had a room on the back with a teensy air shaft and we almost smothered. I hear it's got AC now, so that's good. Our friends had a balcony room with a ceiling fan, and it was nice. They do have a great free cont. breakfast, and the location is wonderful. Talk to you again soon.
Mimi

Hi Mimi,

glad you finally decided on a flight. I wish we could return Tues but are locked into Mon. Those delta flights are running high 600's. Will look for a few weeks more before deciding. We were looking at hostel opera for our 2 night post cruise. But have not decided which as yet.

Booked on Oct 5th Grand Princess and finding decent airfares on ITA. "Open jaw" tickets (LAX to Venice & Barcelona to LAX) on Air France via Paris are coming in around $725 (incl taxes & fees). I've heard thjere's a new upstart discount airline going to start flying the US to Europe route in early summer ... might trigger a fare war ???? :D

Archived