Bermuda suggestions...

Hey all,

I am cruising to Bermuda, Kings Wharf this August. I have never been, and would like some suggestions on what to do while in port for 2 days. I will have my DW, and 2 DSs 11 & 7 with me.

We would like to find a good beach, with snorkling avaialable for me and my 11 year old. We are hoping to find something cheap. ( I know its Bermuda:) )

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Kevin

Definately go to Horseshoe Bay - it's really beautiful. You can snorkel there also. We took a cab there instead of doing the ships excursion and it was much cheaper. Beware though - bring a change of clothes - the cab drivers will NOT let you in their cabs with wet bathing suits on.

Don't even bother with cabs - you can get a two day bus/ferry pass for about $20 (might be cheaper for kids). The bus goes to Horseshoe as well as other beaches and you can hop on and off at various attractions. The ferry will take you to both Hamilton and St. Georges. On Wednesday in St. Georges they have a cute little reinactment of a public dunking in the town square. At the Wharf itself, there are shops, a small beach and a maritime museum which also houses a dolphin encounter. The encounter is quite expensive, but for the cost of admission to the museum you can sit on benches and watch people in the encounter at a very close vantage point. One of the handlers even came over to the edge and showed us a dolphin and let us take photos.

On Tuesday evening, they have a little dock festival with local entertainers and entertainers from the ship as well as booths set up with local crafts.

The Heritage Pass, priced at $25 per person is a good investment as well. It gives you access to six cultural attractions within a 7-day period: the Bermuda National Gallery, Bermuda Aquarium, Museum & Zoo, Bermuda Maritime Museum, Bermuda National Trust, Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute and all forts.

My kids have been to the Aquarium, Underwater Institite, and a couple of forts. Its a great savings over buying the items individually. I would also add that Jobsons Cove is the best beach I have found in Bermuda for seclusion. We were the only people that last time.

Don't even bother with cabs - you can get a two day bus/ferry pass for about $20 (might be cheaper for kids). The bus goes to Horseshoe as well as other beaches and you can hop on and off at various attractions.

All you have to do is tell the bus driver where you want to go, and they will tell you when its time to leave the bus. Very simple.

As others have said, Horseshoe Bay is not to be missed. Church Bay is also very good for snorkeling, although they don't have facilities there. The bus stops at both places. Also, you could take the ferry to St. Georges and go to Tobacco Bay. It is very small, but quite picturesque, and good snorkeling. There are not big waves there though, if the kids enjoy that sort of thing. You're most likely going to get the best surf at Horseshoe Bay.

Enjoy. Bermuda is my favorite place on Earth.

Have a great trip. We go to Bermuda every year and love it! You can get an even cheaper transit method if you buy your bus tix at the post office in Hamilton or St. George. Very easy to do...and saves a lot. Horseshoe Bay is beautiful but it can also be quite rough if there is any bad weather preceding the days you are there. We have been there days when the undertow was so bad that you coudn't go in the water. In those cases, Tobacco Bay is a great option. You can see some beautiful fish in Tobacco Bay if you bring a water bottle filled with crushed up bread and some water...just squeeze it into the water and the fish will surround you. Or Cheerios...they like those too. You have to walk WAY out to near the rocks and then you can see the fish...not near the shore.

The aquarium/zoo is very nice...so are the lighthouses. All accessible by bus. If the kids are into forts...definitely check those out. My kids are too young to care at this point. The underground caves are nice too, especially if you get a rainy day.

Any more questions, please ask!! We will be there in August too, but on the Norwegian Dawn.

Thank you for all your replies! I am hearing so much about Horeshoe that I think we will go there. What kind off facilities do they have? bathrooms, showers, food? any shops? what about chairs and snorkel equipment?

Archived