Southwest Airlines Question

2Oregonians

When do you think the Southwest Airlines website will open up reservations for Thanksgiving week? They're only taking until August 22nd right now. About how far in advance do they go? In other words, with the next date change, will that bring it up through the end of November?? Trying to hit it the very day Thanksgiving week opens up!! TIA :)

On the Travel Tools page of their website, Southwest will usually list when they will be opening up more dates and what dates they will open up through. Usually they open up more dates every 3 to 4 months, and they usually only open up schedules for about 6 months at a time.

Under the Southwest website, special offers are booking through August 22nd. They state that on April 17th they will open bookings through October 30th subject to change. Ray:)

You are exactly right. Thanks. I didn't know they posted when the next opening will be.

Pasted from SW site:

Travel Tools

We are currently accepting air reservations through August 22, 2008. On April 17, we plan to open the schedule for purchase through October 30, 2008. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

That is kinda a good news/bad news for us ... our Cruise leaves Oct 26 and returns Nov 3 .. sigh.. more waiting. We will also be booking Thanksgiving and Christmas as soon as they open up.

I just check some Southwest flights for the summer and can not believe their prices. They're $90 more each way than JetBlue. They want almost $400 roundtrip from Fort Myers to Long Island and then they're asking for almost $600 for their supposed business fares!

What the heck is going on with them?

I know that SW's website shows the date they will (probably) open up flights but does anyone know what time? 12:01am? 4:00am? 10:00am?

I need to jumb on a bunch of seats for Vegas.:D

They don't have a set time but usually it's mid morning.

I just check some Southwest flights for the summer and can not believe their prices. They're $90 more each way than JetBlue. They want almost $400 roundtrip from Fort Myers to Long Island and then they're asking for almost $600 for their supposed business fares!

What the heck is going on with them?

It's a common fallacy people make in assuming that Southwest will be cheaper. My best friend waited to book Southwest for our flights next month and ended up paying $100 more than if she'd booked Northwest, Frontier, Delta, or United.

Yes the days of low priced airfare has flown the coop...I don't think airfare is ever going to be cheap again....

Just look at all the low cost airlines that have now gone bankrupt! And now Frontier is filing for Chapter 11...but will still conduct business. It's a shame..

It's a common fallacy people make in assuming that Southwest will be cheaper. My best friend waited to book Southwest for our flights next month and ended up paying $100 more than if she'd booked Northwest, Frontier, Delta, or United.

Southwest has been a great deal for years from ISP to RSW but lately their prices are horrible. It seems that once Southwest added their "first class" tickets their prices have gone through the roof. I hate the thought of paying their prices and then having to fight for an A boarding pass, just doesn't see worth it.

DING! DING! DING! --- We have a winner in the post of the week contest. Too bad she, and others, have drunk too much of that Canyon Blue colored Kool-Aid. (and the previous Burnt Orange flavor as well).

From the looks of the number of your join date you are relatively new around here. Welcome!

In short there has been this belief amongst many cruisers that Southwest always always has the cheapest fares. So much so that people will wait to book with Southwest, passing up a great deal with another airline, only to pout later on about how expensive tickets are now, even on Southwest.

A few of us have been advocating for many many postings now that Southwest does not always have the cheapest fares and that it is not worth waiting for Southwest to release their schedule if you see a fare you like at the current moment.

Canyon Blue is the present color of Southwest's airplanes. The prior color (going back to the start of the airline) was a burnt orange.

The "drinking of the Kool-Aid" ultimately references Jim Jones and the concept of just going along with whatever you've been told to think and do without any original thought or analysis.

Canyon Blue is the present color of Southwest's airplanes. The prior color (going back to the start of the airline) was a burnt orange.

The "drinking of the Kool-Aid" ultimately references Jim Jones and the concept of just going along with whatever you've been told to think and do without any original thought or analysis.

Yes, I get it, but the references are quite a stretch. Take a poll and see how many got your inside references. :rolleyes:

Southwest has been profitable thanks to a long-term "fuel hedge" that was saving them millions every month. I hope whoever negotiated it got a big fat bonus! The hedge expires soon (if it hasn't already). Prepare for sticker shock due to fuel prices and the fact that WN is morphing into a "legacy carrier".

I can understand the post about flying out of DAL instead of DFW even if it costs more. We have the same situation with SNA vs. LAX With the Wright Amendment gone, AA is another choice from DAL.

PS- I did get the Kool-Aid comment (LOL!) if someone is taking a poll.

DING! DING! DING! --- We have a winner in the post of the week contest. Too bad she, and others, have drunk too much of that Canyon Blue colored Kool-Aid. (and the previous Burnt Orange flavor as well).

I definitely got your Kool Aid comment on Peanut Butter Jet airlines. :)

Here in Dallas, I can fly out of DFW or Love Field. I HATE going to DFW. It's not worth the hassle and stress of going to DFW just to save $100. Yeah, choices.

See, we are opposites! :p I hate going to Love Field. It is further for us to drive, and it takes you into a bad part of Dallas. DFW is only 20 - 25 minutes away from us. For us to use Southwest it would have to be a really good deal, and I haven't seen them in a long time.

We are flying DFW to Seattle in September. We bought 2 RT non stop tickets on American for a total of $818. Southwest wants almost $1000 when I do a check using leaving on a Thursday and returning 10 days later, and that is of course, with a stop somewhere along the way.

See, we are opposites! :p I hate going to Love Field. It is further for us to drive, and it takes you into a bad part of Dallas. DFW is only 20 - 25 minutes away from us. For us to use Southwest it would have to be a really good deal, and I haven't seen them in a long time.

We are flying DFW to Seattle in September. We bought 2 RT non stop tickets on American for a total of $818. Southwest wants almost $1000 when I do a check using leaving on a Thursday and returning 10 days later, and that is of course, with a stop somewhere along the way.

We bought 2 one way ticket to Seattle, each way for this May. I bought the 1st 2 in Dec 07 for $267 and the other 2 for $233 when they opened up booking for our return flight and were running a sale in Feb. That's $500 total. For $500, I don't mind a stop since we don't have to change planes.

That part of Dallas isn't THAT bad.

Archived