Mercury PNW Cruise Overbooked – Guaranteed Status

Therese S.

Please help - Your suggestions are needed

I received a call from our TA yesterday letting us know that Celebrity oversold cabins for the 8 night Mercury PNW cruise sailing RT out of San Francisco on April 19th. We originally booked an inside cabin category 12/Z for a quick one week getaway. An inside cabin on the lowest deck was fine with us.

Celebrity is asking us to be bumped off and they are offering us the follwing options:

Option 1 - A sky suite balcony cabin on the 7 night PNW that leaves this Saturday April 12. Due to work obligations we can't leave a week early.

Option 2 - Inside cabin on the 14 day SF Alaska cruise that leaves Sunday April 27, but ends in Vancouver on May 11th, and $200 on-board credits, which just covers the additional tips and fuel charges. Cruise is not RT from San Francisco.

Though Option 2 sounds tempting, it would require us to take an additional week off from work, which in itself is not bad, but we've been trying to save our vacation hours to take a long Hawaiian cruise in the fall. This option also would also require us to purchase 2 one-way tickets from Vancouver to Sacramento and after checking the rates last night would cost an additional $500 for two tickets. So option 2 might sound great, it would cost us $500 plus an extra 40 hrs vacation time, plus we would need to find a way to SF that didn't require our personal vehicle.

I don't know what to do. This is our first Celebrity Cruise and first time booking a guaranteed cabin. A little over two months ago, Celebrity was advertising guaranteed cabins for a great price, that's why we jumped on it. I thought from reading previous posts that booking a guaranteed, guaranteed you a cabin in the category you paid for, with a possible upgrade. I never thought it puts you at risk if the sailing is oversold.

Does anyone have any experience with guaranteed cabins on an overbooked cruise? What happens if we don't take the offer? Do we just show up at the pier and hope for the best? Worst case scenario, what happens if we show up and there are no cabins available? Do we just hang out and hope someone doesn't show up? I would simply cry if the ship left without me. If the worst happens and we don't get to go, how long does it take for the credit to appear on our credit card? Do they refund you plus interest?

I'm assuming that others are also being contacted and hopefully enough people will take the offer. I really want to stick with our original plans.

Sorry my story is so long, any suggestions you have would be much appreciated - I'm afraid our quick getaway from work is disappearing fast.

Thank you

Therese

I would say if you are interested in Option 2 have your TA go back and ask them to include airfare.

However, even if you don't take the offer, they will keep searching around until they finally find someone to take them up on it. You won't be left without a cabin.

Come join us on the 14 day cruise! :D $500 for an extra week of cruising, not to mention a cruise to Alaska is an amazing deal! Totally worth it. Plus, you're getting $200 OBC, so it's really only $300.

You can take Caltrain or Amtrak from Sacramento. Amtrak stops in Oakland, and you can either grab shuttle or taxi to the port.

Come check out the roll call thread for this cruise. We'd love to have you onboard with us. :)

I would say if you are interested in Option 2 have your TA go back and ask them to include airfare.

However, even if you don't take the offer, they will keep searching around until they finally find someone to take them up on it. You won't be left without a cabin.

Thank you for the encouraging words - so if we just show up we should get a cabin? We would prefer to stick with our original plans

I've heard of overbooking planes, more common in US than elsewhere, but have never heard of overbooking ships.

Celebrity should be shamed, so this practice doesn't spread.

Every cruiseline overbooks, even the luxury lines.

Thank you for the encouraging words - so if we just show up we should get a cabin? We would prefer to stick with our original plans

If you want to stay with your original plans, then do so. You'll have a cabin number before departure. Tell your agent to get it for you if it doesn't appear in your booking online at celebrity.com

Thing is that at one point insides on the 4/27 to Alaska were sold out, and they're now only offering z/12 guarantees. So can we assume that cruise may well be oversold, too, and there'll be a ripple effect, with people getting bumped from that to make room for the prior bumpees? I mean, I wouldn't mind trading my cat. 11 for the Galapagos...

UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE....

Celebrity has really come through!:) They are offered us the 14 night roundtrip out of San Francisco on the Celebrity Millenium May 5-19th, Sky Suite 6124 on the penthouse deck for no additonal charge.

I cannot believe how lucky we are today - this never happens to me. From a 8 night lowest level inside to a 14 night suite....of course we jumped on it.

I can only say Celebrity has really come through for us. Our first Celebrity cruise went from possible sadness to absolute joy!

Therese

Congrats on the wonderful resolution! Join our roll call, and sign up for the Cruise Critic party. We want to meet you, although we can probably pick you out by the wide smiles on your faces!

Here's the link to the roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=537402

Here's the link to registering for the Cruise Critic party:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/cruisecritic/home.do

Congrats on the wonderful resolution! Join our roll call, and sign up for the Cruise Critic party. We want to meet you, although we can probably pick you out by the wide smiles on your faces!

Here's the link to the roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=537402

Here's the link to registering for the Cruise Critic party:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/cruisecritic/home.do

Thank You - Yes I'll have the biggest grin on my face. I must have checked my reservation 6 or 7 times today to make sure the sky suite is still reserved for me, I keep thinking someone is gonna wake up and say we made a mistake and take it away.

I will make my way over to the roll call and start reading the posts from the past 2-3 weeks to get caught up on all your news.

Therese.....we will miss you while on our lowly 8 day cruise.

Wanda and I were talking about your situation when you were still at the cruise before ours or the San Francisco-Alaska-Vancouver with the obc. We both said there is no way we could (or would) take either one since we are going with our kids and grandson.

Yesterday I told her about this new offer of yours, she said "the heck with the kids, I'd grab it."

What a great deal.

Chuck

This is the best upgrade story I have read on this board! Have a great trip in your SKY SUITE. You won't get to meet Chuck and Wanda, but I know they'll understand it when I say "oh dear, what a pity, never mind".;):D

Have a great cruise. I'll be in Alaska in a month or so and can't wait:cool:

Phil

Archived