Sugar Substitute - Splenda?

In the vain hope that using sugar substitute in my coffee every morning will offset all the desserts at night, does RCI carry Splenda (yellow packs)? Or do they just have the blue and/or pink packets? I assume all ships would be the same but in case they're not, we're on the Explorer.

DH likes yellow packets in coffee and pink in tea. (I know- he's picky) There would never be yellow packets with the room service breakfast, and I would forget to write it on the card, but there was always Spenda in Cafe Promenade. I just took a few back to the cabin so he would have his coffee in the morning.

My question though is: Why not buy a small box and bring it with you. That way you are assured that enough Splenda is available (god forbid one has to actually use different stuff).

For some people it is not just a matter of preference-

Equal gives me migraines therefore I can't use it.

I use Splenda and wish I had brought some with me. Sometimes there was plenty of it on tables but other times I would hunt and hunt to no avail, and to try to get help in the WindJammer during rushy mealtimes was sometimes difficult. In the dining room it was always available.

I use Splenda and wish I had brought some with me. Sometimes there was plenty of it on tables but other times I would hunt and hunt to no avail, and to try to get help in the WindJammer during rushy mealtimes was sometimes difficult. In the dining room it was always available.

Maybe you want to talk to your fellow cruisers who hog the Splenda for their morning coffee. LMAO. :D

[/color]

I know what you are talking about. Heineken gives me a headache. So I pick different beer. Of course when I go to a different place in the world they may not have the beer I am used to drink at home so I actually have to adjust and find a different beer.

;)

[/color]

Equal (Aspartame) gives me a sugar crash about 2 hours after consuming it...often with a low blood sugar headache. Splenda does not do this. I had read once that the body reacts to aspartame and releases insulin the same as for sugar but does not for Splenda and without actual sugar to consume the excess insulin from aspartame drives the blood sugar level down. I am fanatical about reading labels for any no or low calorie product and reject anything with the phenylalinine warning.

Equal (Aspartame) gives me a sugar crash about 2 hours after consuming it...often with a low blood sugar headache. Splenda does not do this. I had read once that the body reacts to aspartame and releases insulin the same as for sugar but does not for Splenda and without actual sugar to consume the excess insulin from aspartame drives the blood sugar level down. I am fanatical about reading labels for any no or low calorie product and reject anything with the phenylalinine warning.

Have you tried Stevia? I use it most often but will use splenda when I have run out of my own. It is a very natural product. The only problem is that if you overuse it, it tastes bitter. I use very little of a packet. And at home I use the liquid form, no aftertaste at all. I know aspartame gives me headaches also.

In the vain hope that using sugar substitute in my coffee every morning will offset all the desserts at night, does RCI carry Splenda (yellow packs)?

Sorry to burst that bubble, but sugar is 15 calories per teaspoon. Most of the desserts are going to run at least 500 calories, and more. :rolleyes:

My question though is: Why not buy a small box and bring it with you. That way you are assured that enough Splenda is available (god forbid one has to actually use different stuff).

Also, equal (blue) is not good for pregnant women. However, splenda has a very hand little hard plastic case that has tablets in it. It fits nicely in your purse and is always there. The only downside is that it takes 2 tablets to equal one packet. It is also a little pricey but hey for the convience factor I love it. You can find it at Walmart.

I know what you are talking about. Heineken gives me a headache. So I pick different beer. Of course when I go to a different place in the world they may not have the beer I am used to drink at home so I actually have to adjust and find a different beer.

;)

I am glad I am not married to you or I would have to know your smart mouth off.

Wow, lots of responses - just shows how much interest any subject can raise!

happysinglemom - my original comment was a joke :D - like the old joke I first heard in the Catskills about the old lady who comes to dinner, orders four appetizers, three entrees, and five desserts then says "So, nu, no Sweet-and-Lo?" :p

Sequim88 - that was interesting about the glycemic effects of Splenda vs Equal - never knew that - thanks for the info!

Have you tried Stevia? I use it most often but will use splenda when I have run out of my own. It is a very natural product. The only problem is that if you overuse it, it tastes bitter. I use very little of a packet. And at home I use the liquid form, no aftertaste at all. I know aspartame gives me headaches also.

Yes, Stevia is good too. But WAY too sweet, as you say to the point of bitterness. I would use one little packet for a week or more of hot tea at the office....just a few specks at a time was plenty. And the liquid was worse...hard to divide up a droplet. But it is hard to carry around an opened packet and tossing the rest everytime I go to a restaurant would end up too expensive (or I'm just cheap). So I just favor places that have Splenda.

I hope all of you splenda lovers have visited www.thetruthaboutsplenda.com it has some great information, this product is not as good as it seems.

Who authored that web page? There are so many websites tho, about what is a good sweetener and what isn't. Keep in mind--anyone can author a webpage, you can't always believe what you read, and the truth is usually a combination of bits and parts of all articles. I am in no means proficient in knowledge of artificial sweeteners, but have read loads of articles and studies. We just have to take in the info and decide for ourselves what is most important to us in a sweetener.

Just as an example of how much there is out there abou tit, here are other websites on the subject.

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/nutrasweet_scandal.htm

http://www.something-fishy.org/dangers/sugarfat.php

http://www.lifescript.com/channels/food_nutrition/food_for_thought/do_sweet_n_low_dangers_still_exist.asp

Who authored that web page? There are so many websites tho, about what is a good sweetener and what isn't. Keep in mind--anyone can author a webpage, you can't always believe what you read, and the truth is usually a combination of bits and parts of all articles.

Very true. Thankfully, I worry not about Splenda - I don't care much for it. I use S&L in my coffee (only about 3 cups a week) and have been drinking Diet Coke for over 25 years. I sure don't plan on switching now. ;)

Archived