shirt and tie, no jacket?

dilacruiser

If my 16 year old son wears dress slacks, and dress shirt and tie on informal nights, will he be out of place? not let in the dining room? He will be wearing a tux on formal nights.

I'm having a difficult time getting a jacket that fits and also is not too expensive. By the time he needs a jacket again, this one won't fit.

Any comments are appreciated. If it is a "no", that is fine, we'll keep searching.

There is always a chance a matre'd my enforce the dress code. So no matter what you hear here, it depends on the matre'd.

He should be ok

I agree. Ultimately, it comes down to the matre'd.

Informal night is shirt and jacket, no tie. DH likes the no tie aspect and has been known to take off the jacket and drape it over the back of the chair. No one has ever made him put it back on, same goes for the tie and jacket on formal night in the theater.

Actually, I'm going to disagree.

I think it would be fine for him to go with shirt and tie, as long as the parents follow the dress code. I think people understand it is much harder to dress kids up than the adults...so if he looks presentable in shirt and tie, nice pants and dress shoes, that would be just fine.

We just got off the Millennium and there was a cute family there with young boys. On informal night, the dad wore a suit and the two boys had on polo shirts with sweater vests. They looked very nice. No maitre d' would DARE approach a family like that an insist on jackets for the boys.

It's all about how you present yourselves; I'm sure it will not be a problem for your son to go without a jacket. Don't worry about it!

Infinity recently, caused a small rift between my 16 DS and me.

He would always dress decently with dockers and dress shirt, but on formal nights the best I could get was with a jacket with no tie.

The problem was with the asst maitre D, who we called to end the discussion, little did I imagine that the person who controls dress code told my DS to wear whatever he wanted, he was on vacation :eek:. My son never wore jeans or unappropriate clothes to dinner, but I could no longer try to "dress him up" after that.

I do want to mention that the Maitre D was fantastic with the kids and was always kind and helpful.

After the cruise we had a talk that ALL his friends adhered more strictly to the dress code and he promised that he would also on our next cruise.

We had late seating and on casual nights I did see a couple of jeans and one night a lady came in with a dark sweatsuit, but from what I understood she had been sick.

With a 16 yr old sometimes you just have to choose your battles.

Tish

I

The problem was with the asst maitre D, who we called to end the discussion, little did I imagine that the person who controls dress code told my DS to wear whatever he wanted, he was on vacation :eek:. My son never wore jeans or inappropriate clothes to dinner, but I could no longer try to "dress him up" after that.

That is very similar to what we heard them say to the people at the next table on Connstellation. Actually, they had skipped the first formal and the staff was assuring them they should come to the second one even without dressy clothes.

It does always seem that fewer dress up for the second one so maybe folks ahve noticed that few care and they dress up less.

Thanks for all the replies. The problem is that the jackets that are small enough for his frame are too short in the sleeve by 2-3 inches (no where enough fabric to tailor). Otherwise its a very unfitted jacket with the right sleeve length. It is hard to find something that specific at resale shops (I know because I have been looking).

If my 16 year old son wears dress slacks, and dress shirt and tie on informal nights, will he be out of place? not let in the dining room? He will be wearing a tux on formal nights.

I'm having a difficult time getting a jacket that fits and also is not too expensive. By the time he needs a jacket again, this one won't fit.

Any comments are appreciated. If it is a "no", that is fine, we'll keep searching.

I am a great believer in following the dress code but I also don't believe that X would espect you to purchase a jacket the he is going to wear 2 or 3 times on a cruise and likely never wear it again before he outgrows it. I think that dress slacks, shirt and tie would have a 99.9% of being acceptable and many people will wonder how you were able to get him to wear a tie.

I am a great believer in following the dress code but I also don't believe that X would espect you to purchase a jacket the he is going to wear 2 or 3 times on a cruise and likely never wear it again before he outgrows it. I think that dress slacks, shirt and tie would have a 99.9% of being acceptable and many people will wonder how you were able to get him to wear a tie.

I agree with that. I'm sure he'll look very smart.

Phil

My son is 17 and will be sailing on his 7th cruise this summer. In the past he has worn dress slacks and a nice shirt no tie on all nights except formal when he wore a tie. This year he will be wearing a suit and tie on formal night, on casual nights he will don nice slacks and a nice shirt. We haven't decided on informal nights yet but as a minumum he will again be with nice slacks and a shirt. I will have a tux on formal, a jacket but no tie on informal and nice slacks and shirts on casual nights. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

I have only cruised twice on Celebrity ships - a 12 night transatlantic on the Constellation and a more recent 5 night Caribbean cruise on Century. While never did I see anyone sloppily dressed in the dining room on any evening (formal, informal, or casual) neither did I see strict observance of the evening's dress code. Even for the formal tea, where the information in the daily activities calendar indicated that a jacket and tie was required, the ship's hostess indicated that a nice shirt would be sufficient and that anyone nicely attired would be welcome. On the short cruise I noticed very few tuxedos among the guests, but a mix of dark business suits and nice sports jackets, ties and slacks. On the informal evening a majority of the male guests were attired in polo shirts without jackets. As much as I enjoy dressing up on a few occasions during a cruise, I never thought that the dress of the passengers detracted from the ambiance of the dining room even when the dress code was not strictly followed.:)

Archived