Okay, I'll bite, what's wrong with the coupons on ebay

Nothings wrong with them. In some cases you'll be able to use them in others you won't unless you are at the level of the coupon book. If you buy a diamond coupon book you will have to use your seapass card for shop purchases and spa charges and if you're not a diamond member they won't honor the coupon. Some coupons like Johnny Rockets the coupon for the cover charge won't be questioned.

I posted a thread on here about buying them and got ripped to shreds - some posters accused me of being a thief for buying someone else's book of coupons - there were nice responses but some were so vile that CC pulled the thread. I only wrote because I felt the prices they were going for were exorbitant (in my opinion they're worth about $10 unless you do a spa treatment), and I was trying to warn people to not get ripped off.

:o Not that I have bought them, but I saw something mentioned in another thread...
They are given to people under the condition that they are "valid for this sailing only". So, in a sense, you are committing fraud by using them for another sailing (not that RCI is going to do anything other than deny the coupon).

As a practical matter, depending on the coupon, there is a good chance you will not be allowed to use it - especially the more valuable ones.

I posted a thread on here about buying them and got ripped to shreds - some posters accused me of being a thief for buying someone else's book of coupons - there were nice responses but some were so vile that CC pulled the thread. I only wrote because I felt the prices they were going for were exorbitant (in my opinion they're worth about $10 unless you do a spa treatment), and I was trying to warn people to not get ripped off.

No way would I ever think you were a thief because you bought a coupon book! Rather, the person who sold you the book, since they got them free, or stole them off the ship.

Sometimes the coupons can be used, sometimes not. Many of the "special" in the coupon books are available to everyone. For instance, if it is your first RCI cruise and you get ahold of a Diamond coupon book, there may be times you will have to show proof of your C & A status. When you can't produce it, you aren't allowed the coupon.

So, my gripe with the Ebay of coupon books sales is that it can be misleading, a person buys a book thinking they will get all this money off and spends $10 plus the cost of shipping. You might end up spending $15 to get less than $2 off the cost of a coffee drink. You may get 10% off a gift store purchase towards a sinlge item, most of the gift store items are well under $150. Plus, if you have cruised RCI before, you'll already be getting a coupon book of your own.

We use our coupon books for the free glass of wine or buy one cocktail, get the second one free, sometimes we use the 10% off coupon and the half price coffee coupon. We typically leave the coupon books in the drawer, in case the next person wants to use them.

I know that not all of them are stolen and there may perhaps be a few times when a person buying them may have enjoyed discounts above the cost of the book. I just think it is shady to take advantage of people and charge them for something they got for free.

I also have seen used "coke cards" on sale on Ebay, menus, plastic cups that you get free onboard, aluminum beer cans, toiletry items, picture frames, keychains, tote bags....all stuff the person was given free onboard the ship. You can get all these things free or for a very small charge yourself onboard, instead of buying them off Ebay.

To me the obvious thing is that they were not yours to begin with and by buying them you not risk the chance of losing your money to someone on E-Bay but by being embarrassed if someone on the ship decides to check your coupons against your sea card.

To me the obvious thing is that they were not yours to begin with and by buying them you not risk the chance of losing your money to someone on E-Bay but by being embarrassed if someone on the ship decides to check your coupons against your sea card.

On a lot of purchases they do check them against your seapass.

Okay...lets not bash the Ebay buyers and sellers...EBAY is a business...people from all over the world shop and buy....items people collect and rid themselves of our other peoples treasures...yes..you are right to say...items on these ships are given..not free...you paid for them in the price of your cruise..right?

People who are buying these items know exactly what they are bidding on..you cannot mislead them...its all in the description...you break it down..tell if its used...where you got it...how old it is...if its broke...etc..nothing is hidden.

yes...there are the bad Ebayers...they are in a class of their own...I am talking about the honest buyers and bidders.

If people want to buy an item...a coupon book to be exact...let them...there are great coupons that go to waste...why not share them with others...someone says they are not worth the money people are paying? who determines that?

I am sure the people who sell items are not out to "scam" others...at least that has not been what I have encountered on EBAY.

Of course this is my opinion, just as it was the person who was trashed before....that is the beauty of these boards...they allow us all to gather and collect information and then make a decision based on what we have heard.

They are not for tearing each other apart.

Happy Cruising!!

Rather, the person who sold you the book, since they got them free, or stole them off the ship.
so as a ebay seller I should not sell anything I get for free! if someone gives you something it is yours to do what you please, that includes anything RCI gives you

So, my gripe with the Ebay of coupon books sales is that it can be misleading, a person buys a book thinking they will get all this money off and spends $10 plus the cost of shipping.
But it is like that in real life if you buy anything anywhere it can be misleading

We typically leave the coupon books in the drawer, in case the next person wants to use them.

so it is ok to give themm away but not sell them?

I just think it is shady to take advantage of people and charge them for something they got for free.
sorry you are incorrect on this I sell many things that I get for free. its called the free enterprise system, I put something up for sale and if someone wants to buy it they do. I do not ever tell anyone they have to buy anything of mine. I have made thousands of dollars off stuff that i have gotten free, please tell what is wrong with that!

I also have seen used "coke cards" on sale on Ebay, menus, plastic cups that you get free onboard, aluminum beer cans, toiletry items, picture frames, keychains, tote bags....all stuff the person was given free onboard the ship. You can get all these things free or for a very small charge yourself onboard, instead of buying them off Ebay.
everything that you said is true on this point, but tell me again what is wrong in selling things like that if someone wants to buy it!

I will tell you this there is nothing wrong with selling things that you can get for free on a cruise to make a few bucks. You just think it is wrong, so my advise to you is do not sell or buy anything you get for free, but if someone does want to buy or sell that does not make them wrong just because you think it is!

everything that you said is true on this point, but tell me again what is wrong in selling things like that if someone wants to buy it!

I will tell you this there is nothing wrong with selling things that you can get for free on a cruise to make a few bucks. You just think it is wrong, so my advise to you is do not sell or buy anything you get for free, but if someone does want to buy or sell that does not make them wrong just because you think it is!

Whether it was free is immaterial, selling something without revealing that it may only be used by violating the cruise policy on its use is unethical at best, fraudulent at worst.

so as a ebay seller I should not sell anything I get for free! if someone gives you something it is yours to do what you please, that includes anything RCI gives you

OK...this is exactly what is says on a coupon leftover from our last cruise.

Cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotional programs, sales items, or other discount programs, and is nontransferable. Coupon must be redeemed at the time of the purchase. Photocopies are not accepted. The coupons or offers contained in this booklet are void if sold or otherwise exchanged for consideration. The determination of whether a coupon or offer is void shall be made by the cruise line in its sole discretion.

Also says;

VALID FOR THIS SAILING ONLY

Another caution about buying the coupon books is that RCCL occasionally issues a new version of the coupon books. And, each coupon contains the version number.

If you order one on ebay there is a chance that the coupon book you purchased could be obsolete by the time you went on the cruise..

OK...this is exactly what is says on a coupon leftover from our last cruise.

Cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotional programs, sales items, or other discount programs, and is nontransferable. Coupon must be redeemed at the time of the purchase. Photocopies are not accepted. The coupons or offers contained in this booklet are void if sold or otherwise exchanged for consideration. The determination of whether a coupon or offer is void shall be made by the cruise line in its sole discretion.

Also says;

VALID FOR THIS SAILING ONLY

your own words proves my point.

The coupons or offers contained in this booklet are void if sold

no where does it say it is illegal to sell them. you are confusing void and illegal. they are two different things. And yes I do know what I am talking about. I have sold Disneyland tickets that say the same thing, before I sold them I asked a judge friend of mine what the story is if they were legal to sell, he said yes it is legal to sell and there would not be any way to stop the sale. there is no fraud involved. so feel free to tell me that i am wrong all you want, but first get your facts correct!

your own words proves my point. no where does it say it is illegal to sell them. you are confusing void and illegal. they are two different things. And yes I do know what I am talking about. I have sold Disneyland tickets that say the same thing, before I sold them I asked a judge friend of mine what the story is if they were legal to sell, he said yes it is legal to sell and there would not be any way to stop the sale. there is no fraud involved. so feel free to tell me that i am wrong all you want, but first get your facts correct!

Sorry, they weren't my words, and I did not say anything about illegal.

If you were to sell these on eBay would you disclose the fact to the buyer that they are now void and nontransferable as per stated on the coupon?

Would be interesting to see how you would list these in all honesty.

RCI Coupon books

Nontransferable.

Void if sold.

Bid now.

your own words proves my point. no where does it say it is illegal to sell them. you are confusing void and illegal. they are two different things. And yes I do know what I am talking about. I have sold Disneyland tickets that say the same thing, before I sold them I asked a judge friend of mine what the story is if they were legal to sell, he said yes it is legal to sell and there would not be any way to stop the sale. there is no fraud involved. so feel free to tell me that i am wrong all you want, but first get your facts correct!

You need to look at the big picture, while it may not be illegal to sell them, how could you in good faith sell them knowing that the receiving party may not even be able to use them?......Im sorry, but, that is shady. if you were 100% positive that they would be able to be used, then by all means, but, you are not. I find it really hrd to believe that the poeple purchasing these coupon booksy are aware of the fact that they may not even be able to use them, cause ya know what, they wouldn't buy em.

Sorry, they weren't my words, and I did not say anything about illegal.

If you were to sell these on eBay would you disclose the fact to the buyer that they are now void and nontransferable as per stated on the coupon?

RCI Coupon books

Nontransferable.

Void if sold.

Bid now.

HAHA....That was good :p

This is really an ethical issue, and depends on your "standards". I could care less what others do. To each their own.

Simply put, by my standards for me only,

if I were to sell something that was given to me with "conditions of use", IMHO (for my standards), I would be profiting from something that was given to me for my "exclusive use". So, I wouldn't do it. If it were freely given to me, with no conditions attached (like a bag,etc.) I have no problem. Or if I bought it, like a "souvenir glass" no problem.

if I were to give the coupon book away, or leave it in the cabin, I am not using it in the way it was intended, because there were conditions attached by the provider. So, I wouldn't do it.

Then, if I were to "buy" such an item, there is "intent" to use the item for financial gain not in the manner for which it was intended, and for some products or services discounts to which I would not have the legal right to have. So, I wouldn't do it. So, supposing I don't get to use all the coupons, and end up with less value than I paid, do I have a reasonable argument that somehow I didn't get a good deal?

However, any gifts given to us by RCL, for example, bags or picture frames, I feel perfectly entitled to regift them to others if I choose because there were no conditions attached by the giver.

Once again, that is just how I view the issue. How about these other items, which have been spotted for sale do you think it is ok to offer them for sale or buy them on EBAY?

Soda mug (for drink package)

Cabin pillow chocolates

Diamond C & A pin

Early departure luggage tags

RCL Gift Bags, frames, etc.

I all honesty yes I would disclose everything to anyone. There is a reason that I have sold over 2000 items on Ebay with only one negative and two neutral feedback. I have gone so far as to give buyers my work phone number so they can contact me with questions. IMHO it is not worth it to get someone upset with me over a few bucks. For the record I have never sold a coupon book, but I have about 5 RCI Bud beer cans that will be listed soon.

How about these other items, which have been spotted for sale do you think it is ok to offer them for sale or buy them on EBAY?
Soda mug (for drink package)
Soda mug yes, but I would put a note on the auction that to use it a soda card must be bought.

Cabin pillow chocolates
I have only been on three cruises and not one pillow chocolates has lasted move than 5 minutes after I see it.

Diamond C & A pin
I will need to get back to you on this one after I take 7 more cruises.

Early departure luggage tags
not a chance on this one.

RCL Gift Bags, frames, etc.
I asked the captain from my last cruise if I could have the large RCI flag to sell on Ebay to help me pay for my next cruise, he told me no, he then asked me if I really sold stuff on ebay and I told him yes i did, he then reached in his pocket and gave me one of the valuable RCI plastic pens. we did have a good laugh.

Soda mug yes, but I would put a note on the auction that to use it a soda card must be bought.

I have only been on three cruises and not one pillow chocolates has lasted move than 5 minutes after I see it.

I will need to get back to you on this one after I take 7 more cruises.

not a chance on this one.

I asked the captain from my last cruise if I could have the large RCI flag to sell on Ebay to help me pay for my next cruise, he told me no, he then asked me if I really sold stuff on ebay and I told him yes i did, he then reached in his pocket and gave me one of the valuable RCI plastic pens. we did have a good laugh.

I noticed on another thread awhile back a photo that someone was selling a ziplock bag full of the chocolates, and I think referring to them as a complete set. I got a good laugh out of that.

On our last cruise near St. Pat's day, RCL had green bud light (aluminum, I think) bottles which we brought home after quality control tasting of course. We also have the red Bud bottles, and the highly valuable blue Bud Light bottles because those have the RCL logo on them. Good luck on your sales effort. Do you have to disclose to the buyer if they are empty? Just kidding. You might want to mention the possible use as a "bud" vase. Could increase the value.

Archived