Will service differ by class of cabin I purchase?

I tend to go for the least expensive inside stateroom I can find (except that I choose my cabin so I won't be beneath a loud club, etc)--reason being is that:

1) The best views are from deck anyway

2) I tend to spend very little time in my cabin (and have lived in dorm rooms smaller than a cabin, so I don't mind the small amount of space)

3) I prefer the complete darkness for sleeping that an inside cabin provides

4) A less expensive cabin = more money available for excursions and future trips

5) If I'm going to splurge, I prefer doing it on land where the price of a room often does correlate directly with the particular amenities you get (e.g. staying at a Value Resort at Disney vs. staying at a Moderate or Deluxe resort). With cruising, I figure I have access to at least most of the same (public) ship amenities as those in all but the most expensive cabins.

But I'm wondering:

Does the class of cabin you book on RCI correlate with the level or quality of service you receive from the staff? My guess is that those who purchase expensive cabins might be assigned to friendlier and/or more experienced staff. If that's indeed what happens, I don't think it's unfair. I'm grateful that there are people able and willing to pay considerably more for a cabin than I am. Makes sense that people on "concierge" decks, etc, might be assigned better staff.

Is this actually the case? Do you get what you pay for or is it all luck of the draw? Either way, having a so-so cabin attendant or inexperienced wait staff wouldn't ruin my trip.

Mike

I tend to go for the least expensive inside stateroom I can find (except that I choose my cabin so I won't be beneath a loud club, etc)--reason being is that:

1) The best views are from deck anyway

2) I tend to spend very little time in my cabin (and have lived in dorm rooms smaller than a cabin, so I don't mind the small amount of space)

3) I prefer the complete darkness for sleeping that an inside cabin provides

4) A less expensive cabin = more money available for excursions and future trips

5) If I'm going to splurge, I prefer doing it on land where the price of a room often does correlate directly with the particular amenities you get (e.g. staying at a Value Resort at Disney vs. staying at a Moderate or Deluxe resort). With cruising, I figure I have access to at least most of the same ship amenities.

But I'm wondering:

Does the class of cabin you book on RCI correlate with the level or quality of service you receive from the staff? My guess is that those who purchase expensive cabins might be assigned to friendlier and/or more experienced staff. If that's indeed what happens, I don't think it's unfair. I'm grateful that there are people able and willing to pay considerably more for a cabin than I am. Makes sense that people on "concierge" decks, etc, might be assigned better staff.

Is this actually the case? Do you get what you pay for or is it all luck of the draw? Either way, having a so-so cabin attendant or inexperienced wait staff wouldn't ruin my trip.

Mike

No, the service shouldn't be any different in the respect you're referring too. Now some ppl recieve different service (like free gifts) because of their status or room choice, but the general service should still be the same high standing quality as everyone else.

There are of course, bad apples everywhere.

I remember one CC member tell us about how there was a guy who came with a clipboard and his "rules" for the week and informed them he would not be around much b/c all his other cabins were on the other side of the ship! That and I guess he lied about receiving tips!

We've been on deck 2 before and we had our best service there with a wonderful attendant named Amanda! :)

Service should be wonderful no matter which cabin you are in. I cruise often with inside cabins, only once did I have poor service. I don't think it was because of the cabin, I believe it was just the cabin attendant wasn't trained well or he just didn't care.

We've had awesome cabin attendants when booked in inside cabins. The one and only time we weren't terribly happy with our attendant was when we were in a Junior Suite.

I hardly think it had anything to do with the type of cabin, it was more his personality and a few very minor issues, he still cleaned up after us and left us chocolate :p

We've had a few cabin attendants over the years whom we would have loved to bring home with us :)

Not a problem!!! I always book the cheapest cabin and have always received outstanding service. Aside from your cabin steward, no one knows what you booked. We never discuss what kind of cabin someone is in over dinner, or at the pool or wherever we meet people. just doesn't come up/no one cares.

Enjoy your savings, have a great cruise!!!

I just read an ad in a well known travel magazine advertising that pax that reserve a certain level cabin on the new Victoria will have special access to decks 11 and 12 with their own special key to the elevator that will "whisk" you away to special treats such as a lounge area where you are provided with chilled towels and etc....so I guess there might be some differences on certain lines....Jimmy

I just read an ad in a well known travel magazine advertising that pax that reserve a certain level cabin on the new Victoria will have special access to decks 11 and 12 with their own special key to the elevator that will "whisk" you away to special treats such as a lounge area where you are provided with chilled towels and etc....so I guess there might be some differences on certain lines....Jimmy

That is Cunard, they are extremely dependent on the type of accommodations you get for the type of service and where you are allowed to go on the ship.

our parents were in an OS and us an inside 3 decks down and no one knew they were OS the while time. Their cabin steward actually was less knowledgeable then ours and they got ticked about that, when we compared notes each day.

Service could differ on other cruise lines. RCCL has the same service no matter what cabin you book. QM2 not so much - book a Grill class cabin and you are in a different world from the rest of the ship. Even Celebrity (a RCI company) offers Consierge service on some of the more expensive cabins.

Do some research and you will find butler services and other amenities when booking higher grade cabins on cruise lines.

Thanks again for all the info. It must be Cunard then that has areas of the ship accessible only to those on a concierge deck. Could have sworn either Carnival or RCI had special pool areas off limits to certain guests based on cabin class. But I can't recall where I might have read that.

Glad to hear the service on RCI isn't tied to cabin classes.

We tried inside cabin for the first time on a b2b 5 and 5 nighter on NOS and found that we had a wonderful attendant on deck 10. WE thought he would just ignore us since all the other cabins were the big suites...was not the case at all. So, I really do not think it matters. I think it is all about the attendant, and if he is good and nice he is good and nice to everyone, inside or suites.

There is a concierge lounge, on some RCI ships, for people cruising in suites. It's open certain hours of the day. There are also lounges on certain ships - again not all ships - for folks who have acheived diamond level or above in their repeat cruiser program. The concierges in these lounges might facilitate getting a specialty dinner reservation or ice show tickets, but all those items (reservations, tickets) are available to all. So, yes, there is this perk based on cabin class. There are no special cabin attendants or waiters in the dining room or seating in the dining room that come because of the level of cabin booked. The attendant for a deck 2 inside cabin should be just as attentive as the one for the royal suite.

RCCL does have a designated adult only pool area (supposedly), but on the Rhapsody, the deli where kids got hamburgers and pizza was next to the pool so there were kids in the area all the time....Jimmy

My sister and I had a Grand Suite on the Voyager ONLY because we were celebrating her 61st birthday. The staff in the shops, promenade cafe, Windjammer, photo gallery, etc had no clue where we were sleeping and treated us just like anyone else. After we made our purchases they might have noticed something on our SeaPass card but we were treated just like everyone else, as we should have been.

We love RCI and have cruised for 19 years, starting with an ocean view cabin and moving up a category every couple of years because, as the cruises passed, we enjoyed and looked forward to more room and a little more luxury. That being said, the very worst service we ever received was a cabin steward who just didn't care and that was in the Royal Suite on the Radiance - 14 days Alaska repositioning. The worst dining room table we were ever assigned was on the Jewel (upstairs against a solid wall next to the noisy entrance to the service area) when the four of us were in 2 of the 5 Owners Suites. We asked to be moved and were reassigned a window table that came available. Otherwise service on RCI has been fabulous with absolutely no complaints. And that is regardless of cabin category.

However, we splurged on the Penthouse Suite on Celebrity's Infinity last year and any time we made a call from our cabin, the answering party knew where we were and treated us like royalty. Guest relations called on us regularly, we had dinner at the captain's table, we were invited on a private tour, we tried to get a reservation on a sold out night in the specialty dining room. We said we would pick another night and they said "No, no - we will work something out". Our butler was amazing and gave us the very best service imaginable. The room was 1,400 square feet and the balcony was over 1,000. With 10 days at sea (San Diego/Hawaii/San Diego) it was worth every cent!

So, with RCI it doesn't matter - just book the cabin that works best for you. And if you ever want to splurge and feel appreciated, go with Celebrity. That's the way it worked for us. Either way, none of your fellow passengers know (or care) what cabin you are in and almost everyone has a great time!

However, we splurged on the Penthouse Suite on Celebrity's Infinity last year and any time we made a call from our cabin, the answering party knew where we were and treated us like royalty. Guest relations called on us regularly, we had dinner at the captain's table, we were invited on a private tour, we tried to get a reservation on a sold out night in the specialty dining room. We said we would pick another night and they said "No, no - we will work something out". Our butler was amazing and gave us the very best service imaginable. The room was 1,400 square feet and the balcony was over 1,000. With 10 days at sea (San Diego/Hawaii/San Diego) it was worth every cent!

That was basically our experience, but on Princess. We've always cruised with a balcony and the service has always been good (best ever cabin steward on Celebrity)...but in a suite on Princess, wow, were they ever quick. You phoned for something and by the time you turned around it was there. Private invitations to tour the bridge, etc. So I don't think there is any difference between inside, ocean view or balcony, but we certainly noticed a difference in our suite.

Thanks again for all the info. It must be Cunard then that has areas of the ship accessible only to those on a concierge deck. Could have sworn either Carnival or RCI had special pool areas off limits to certain guests based on cabin class. But I can't recall where I might have read that.

Glad to hear the service on RCI isn't tied to cabin classes.

I know that NCL has special pool areas for certain suites its their "ship within a ship" concept. We got a brochure from them the other day and I looked up online what one would cost and I want to say it was in the $5-10k area :eek:

Archived