Probably weird ? Has anyone ever

mom23gr8kids

Hi Mom23gr8kids,

If one would be interested in cramping thier vacation style, then a tatoo is a good idea.;) No pool, no ocean, and depending where it's placed, no other things including sleep.:D I'd place this in a 'bad move' catagory while on a cruise.

Barry

i would say its tooo risky, i wouldnt get one in another country at all,

and plus the other things also that the other poster said

about no water, no ocean , NO SUN, it can fade it , etc,,

sterilization ? yikes, i wouldnt risk it ..

just my opinion.

get one in the states before you go ;)

Has anyone ever gotten a tattoo while on their cruise vacation? Just wondering if anyone was brave enough to do this in a port outside the US, lol.

If you go over on the fashion forum (under the Cruise Discussion Topics forum), there is a long thread about tattoos on cruises. Might give you some insight from folks who have braved the needle.

Charlie

I got a henna tattoo at Paradise Beach in Cozumel. This is just a skin stain.

Wears off after a few weeks. Cost maybe $15.

NO WAY I'd risk a real one...that's even risky in the states...(almost got one in Portland, Maine 2 years ago...funny, none of their tattoo parlors are open past like 7PM!!!)

Well I did, but only because our last port was Key West and I wasn't interested in doing anything there. But, yes, I did stay out of the pool and the hot tubs afterwards. It is an ankle-wrap.

I used to get tattoos when I went to a new (U.S. or Canadian place) on vacation as a souvenir. I've gotten tattoos in New Orleans, Montreal, Los Angeles, Ft. Lauderdale, and Key West.

I've thought about getting on on the islands, but haven't had the time.

Well I did, but only because our last port was Key West and I wasn't interested in doing anything there. But, yes, I did stay out of the pool and the hot tubs afterwards. It is an ankle-wrap.

I used to get tattoos when I went to a new (U.S. or Canadian place) on vacation as a souvenir. I've gotten tattoos in New Orleans, Montreal, Los Angeles, Ft. Lauderdale, and Key West.

I've thought about getting on on the islands, but haven't had the time.

You could get a Henna while on the Island then have your tattoo artist go over it in the states to make it permenant :D That way you can say with out lying you got it in some exotic place

Has anyone ever gotten a tattoo while on their cruise vacation? Just wondering if anyone was brave enough to do this in a port outside the US, lol.

If you are tattoo-savvy, it shouldn't matter where you get it done, honestly. You look for the same things you make sure any tattoo artist in the States uses and that is: disposable needles that are opened from their original packaging in front of you and the other equipment (as appropriate) should be auto-claved. Every good tattoo/piercing establishment has an autoclave for medical-level sterilization. Don't be embarrassed to ask to see those things and ask any other questions you have to make yourself feel comfortable. If they don't like the questions, go elsewhere!

When my daughter was in high school, a bunch of her friends went to Mexico on a "school trip" (she didn't go!) They ALL came back with belly-button piercings!!! Of all places to get a hole punched into your body, to do it where you can't even DRINK the water...... Kids!

My sister-in-law's husband got a tattoo in Montego Bay, Jamaica in 2006.

In addition to brand new needles and autoclaving, I have heard that you should also insist on new, unopened, ink as well. Is this true?

They can also use disposable ink wells. The ink is poured into the wells from a "master" bottle and any left over ink is disposed of with the ink wells.

I don't have any tatoos. My DH would seriously freak out if I ever really got one.

But I have a friend who has several and when discussing my upcoming cruise this was one thing she mentioned she would want to do. Just to say she did it in "XYZ". I was just curious if anyone else out there had been as brave as she obviously is to do it in a foreign country. Not sure I could do that, who am I kidding I can't even do it here, rofl.

I do think the henna tatoos are really cool tho since they aren't permanent and if you change your mind you just have to wait a week or so.

Interesting that some would and some wouldn't. I hadn't even thought of the aspect that she would have to give up the pools, spas, and sun. Shows how much I know about tatoos.

I do think the henna tatoos are really cool tho since they aren't permanent and if you change your mind you just have to wait a week or so.

Be careful with these as well! So-called "black henna" is really a dye called PPD that has been outlawed in the U.S. and Canada for causing awful allergic reactions in a minority of recepients. Do a Google search on "black henna PPD" and you will see some horrifying examples:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-13,GGLR:en&q=black+henna+ppd+

Archived