Comparisons--- Regent & QM2

PaulaJK

For a variety of reasons, we are considering a Caribbean cruise aboard

QM2....Princess level/grill. We are quite familiar with the Regent onboard

product and would appreciate any comparisons/contrasts between

Regent onboard & QM2 onboard. Thanks

I was on the QM2 in Princess Grill almost exactly a year ago. I found the service in the PGrill Restaurant much superior and the food, both presentation and taste, to be consistently better. The private Queens Grill Lounge was also quite nice, just outside the Grill restaurants.

It is, however, a different world once you step outside the Grill areas; some very good, but some not so good.

Eric,

Thank you for your reply. ...but, what do you mean re: "a different world"?? I know that the pax load is much larger [to say the least].... But what are you referring to.....Service? Staff Attitude? Entertainment? Activities? Clientele?

Eric,

Thank you for your reply. ...but, what do you mean re: "a different world"?? I know that the pax load is much larger [to say the least].... But what are you referring to.....Service? Staff Attitude? Entertainment? Activities? Clientele?

I think Eric is commenting on the vast difference of service, style and embience inside the Queens Grill and Lounge and the "regular" part of the ship.

I found eating at the Queens grill was excellent (food and service), especially the ala carte menu, wheras the princess grill was the exact same menu as Brittania. (am I right Eric, I didn't dine at princess grill)

No Dan, you've got it wrong. There is an excellent unique menu in Princess Grill. you are thinking of Britannia Class which simply is a segregated area of the Britannia Restaurant (Category AA).

What I am referring to are the other public areas, such as the dreaded Kings Court casual dining area...which, frustratingly, seems to be the easiest entrance to the Grill lounge/restaurant area. It is like a bad food court at a mall and smells like it. Some corridors are lined with tables with cheap jewelry or t-shirts. Most lounges are very large and with lots of people. And there are lines...lots of them.

Some areas such as the Planetarium and solarium pool area and Churchill's are wonderful.

As to service, out of Grill there were not as many smiles as I would expect on a cruise. The service was acceptable, though. Very mass market feeling.

I've heard that in the Queen's Grill (top category).....if there isn't something on the menu that you like.......all you have to do is ask and the chef will make it for you. But not so for Princess Grill and under. Is this true?

Pat

We were in Princess grill last Nov from NY to the Carribean and back to NY on the QM2. The service was excellent and yes, if you wanted something off menu they would certainly do that for you if forwarned. It was my first cruise and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience but I have to agree you would never get me into the cafeteria thing in Kings Court, it all seemed too 'below decks' for me! I am after all Mrs Bucket ( pronounced bouquet). I enjoyed being waited on and served at every meal.

The reason I am doing the crossing from Funchal to FLL this fall on Voyager is that I did not want to go to any ports I wanted to enjoy all the service on board. I was told by another guest on QM2 that if I enjoyed the service on QM2 then I should try RSSC as it was even better. I have high expectations now! and can't wait to be pampered in November.:)

We were in Princess grill last Nov from NY to the Carribean and back to NY on the QM2. The service was excellent and yes, if you wanted something off menu they would certainly do that for you if forwarned. It was my first cruise and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience but I have to agree you would never get me into the cafeteria thing in Kings Court, it all seemed too 'below decks' for me! I am after all Mrs Bucket ( pronounced bouquet). I enjoyed being waited on and served at every meal.

The reason I am doing the crossing from Funchal to FLL this fall on Voyager is that I did not want to go to any ports I wanted to enjoy all the service on board. I was told by another guest on QM2 that if I enjoyed the service on QM2 then I should try RSSC as it was even better. I have high expectations now! and can't wait to be pampered in November.:)

Please let us know about your experience and how Regent compares with QM2 when you return. Thanks in advance.

Are we comparing apples to oranges? It is much easier to compare Regent, Silversea and Seabourn than to compare Regent to a beautiful, but, huge liner. I cannot imagine being on a ship as large as QM2 -- no matter how wonderful the food and/or service is. . . would not do such a large ship..... just my humble opinion....... Go ahead....... flame away

I was on the QM2 in Princess Grill almost exactly a year ago. I found the service in the PGrill Restaurant much superior and the food, both presentation and taste, to be consistently better. The private Queens Grill Lounge was also quite nice, just outside the Grill restaurants.

It is, however, a different world once you step outside the Grill areas; some very good, but some not so good.

If Queen's Grill is First Class, does that make Princess Grill 2nd Class, and Britannia 3rd Class? What a lovely, antiquated system. I wonder if it will catch on? Where do they feed the Steerage passengers?

Usually in Australia!!!! :D :D ( only jesting) it's terrible this class system, I know, but it is soooo thrilling when one has come from the bottom and worked ones little butt off to then be able to afford a higher class. I just love it!!! I keep the Onslows of my family well and truly hidden!!!!

Mrs Bucket

We were on the SS Wind last week, CARRIBEAN, and the Qm2 was anchored off shore from us. Several people that we talked to said that the ship is amazing and beautiful but the lines and lines for everything were depressing. That was just the opinion of the folks we saw but they felt that it was a general comment on board for people who were cruising on her for the first time.

It is not apples and oranges, the luxury IN Grill is as good or better than Regent. You really need to experience the ships, or know more about them, before you make such comments. Lots of misinformation is flowing of late.

The difference between Queens Grill and Princess Grill is more about the suite size and accommodation amenities. There is not a huge difference in dining room service and both use the Queens Grill Lounge...and the concierge lounge (which is little used). Both - as long as you are in the Grill areas - is very nice and intimate. And do not forget the finest library at sea. That is luxury as well...and there is nothing on Regent that comes even close.

We are, alas, comparing similar products...with significant differences.

Travelcat2

I am not certain that I understand your comment about 'flame away'...nor apples & oranges.

I asked the question honestly & sincerely. We live in the NJ area and are/were considering a cruise which departed NYC, a very seductive notion in these days of hasseled air travel. Of course, I was quite aware of the difference in ships' sizes and [no] all inclusive pkg. I was asking about other aspects of the onboard experience, such as service, entertainment, lectures,etc. and wanted some basis for comparisons/contrasts.

Sorry if you took it another way..........

We did a Caribbean cruise on QM2 in February this year and fell in love with the ship. We were lucky enough to be able to travel Queen's Grill class and everything was superb - the waiters, butler and all the crew and staff we met were very friendly. I can only say we were made to 'feel special' the whole trip.I never encountered any 'lines' except those I saw in the King's Court when we passed through, but we didn't dine there so it didn't affect us.

We never found the ship to be busy despite the size - the only aspect I didn't like was the 'Marketplace' selling perfume, jewellery etc which we avoided - you can see a discussion about this on the Cunard forum.

We have actually got the same problem as you in reverse as we are looking for an alternative to the QM2 next Feb as we don't want to do the segment of the World Cruise which she is doing when we are able to take our holidays :( . So we are looking at Regent, Silverseas and Seabourne. We particularly enjoyed the free dining at mealtimes in the Queen's Grill which is something we'd like to be able to do again.

At this moment I still envy anyone who is contemplating a holiday on the Queen Mary 2 - my desk is covered in photos of her!:D

Archived