Amex platinum card

LOGHL

Boatman - I MUST point out that you are not giving the board's readers the incorrect information. I travel as a single - always have - and get $225 shipboard credit, whether the ss is 10% or 40%. And it's not new. I have been getting it since 2004! It might have been the same before that year, but that was the 1st year I purchase the platinum card, so I have no knowledge about prior years. In 2004, RSSC had a $99 single supplement special to Norway. I got the $225 credit. This past December, RSSC had a 10% single supplement for Auckland to LA sailing. I got the $225. And I have sailed with Regent exclusively for 9 years - always as a single!

The 2008 Amex Cruise Privileges Program General Terms and Conditions, clearly state that Single occupancy receives pro-rated shipboard credit based on single supplement (i.e. if paying 150% of cruise fare, will received $225 SBC) and the 2004 terms state $150 with no reference to pro-rated increases. (I am prohibited from quoting the document, sorry.)

Now, I will admit that I do not book many singles on Regent and, as the funds come from Regent, it may give $225. If that is the case, and it most certainly seems to be, then good on Regent.:) (Same as with Wendy's tagalong benefits.) Actually excellent for Regent.:D

See, I actually hang out here to share...and to learn. No one knows everything. (But I do try to provide solid information based upon identifiable sources).:)

BTW, the information regarding the "other" $150 is as I stated.

That is absolutely untrue! :mad: I can assure you that I am not personally shelling out thousands of dollars to cover that cost.:eek: It sounds like an agent trying to keep a potential customer without being exactly candid.:rolleyes:

It is actually a very simple process that any travel agency can undertake for its clients.

I have been getting the credit from my TA - but when I called AmEx directly about this -(because of all the confusion) - they said I HAD to book through AmEX to get the credit. I don't know what my TA does or does not have to do - but I am perplexd why AmEx would tell me I had to book the cruise through Platinum Travel to get the $300 shipboard and $150 excursion credit.

In my experience, Amex Travel Service agents will, in fact, tell you that you have to use them in order to get any Amex benefits. Again, in my experience; I've heard it from them. They may think they are telling the truth, because they are spread out across the country and don't seem to have any contact with each other. I wonder sometimes if some of them work from home as contractors (again, just something I wondered!!). Some of them are less than well-educated on a lot of these things.

Any TA can get you the Amex credit. All he or she has to do is call Amex, give them your booking number, sailing date and other pertinent info including your Platinum or Centurion card number. They then receive a tracking number which they provide to the cruise line and presto you get your credit and amenities. The TA does not pay a penny for this and if he tells you otherwise he is lying.

Billyjeff,

The ONLY thing you are getting from the AmexPT agent that a non-Amex TA can't give you is the AMEX $150 "excursion credit" as you call it. HOWEVER, many TAs give larger onboard credits and/or other added value worth more than that. Possibly the emphasis has been (unintentionally???) put on the word "and".

Archived