Amex platinum card

LOGHL

Has anyone been on a Regent cruise recently, and not received the promised $300.00 per cabin???

Why do you ask? Did this happen to you?

Remember, your TA must contact Amex for the perk, as its not "automatic" if you use your platinum card, secondly it may not be combinable with other offers such as ship board credits that come from a large TA group.

Host Dan

Good point. If you are getting other perks, such as a complimentary tour/cocktail party, you are not eligible for both...though the lines used to permit that kind of double-dipping" (It is not a just Regent phenomenon.)

You should be sure to inquire of your TA so that you are not "saddled" with a complimentary tour which is of little interest to you when you would prefer the $300.

We have an excellent TA who specialized in luxury travel and on our RSSC Guest Confirmation document there is a listing for "SPECIAL PROMOTIONS."

Ours reads: AMEX Platinum Program (For Guest 1,2) Shipboard Credit

This document is dated the day we made initial deposit.

That info is great, but as I said, the tracking number from AMEX is the most important thing.

Yes, the credit comes from the cruise line, but is contractual with AMEX. I am confident (though I don't know) that the funds do not, however, only flow one way; so AMEX must be "contributing" in some fashion.

For Canadians you can only use your Amex Platinum to purchase the entire cruise on. Amex Canada won't let you just provide your Platinum number and use another Amex card or even use it for partial payment. The full amount of the cruise.....both deposit and final payment has to be on the Amex Platinum card or it won't qualify for the $300.00 credit.

Pat

Is this requirement new? I have friends who choose to use a "branded" Amex card to actually pay for their cruise, but have the required platinum card in their possession (??). They get the credit, and always have. I honestly don't know about this calendar year, but I can ask them.

From my experience, you need to pay in full with an Amex card, AND be in possession of a Platinum or Centurion Card while the purchase process proceeds. One doesn't necessarily have to use their Platinum or Centurion Card to qualify. (Don't forget the $150 travel credit on the Card when using for cruise purchases)

Host Dan

I pay with a different credit card, but have a AMX platinum that expires every March. I get the ship board credit every time I sail. And since I travel as a single, paying that awful supplement, I get a $225 credit (half a 2nd person). My TA has both card #s on file and I have never had a problem. Always included in Platinum events on board. My last sailing was in December and I was with a semi-large TA group and received an additional ship board credit for that.

From my experience, you need to pay in full with an Amex card, AND be in possession of a Platinum or Centurion Card while the purchase process proceeds. One doesn't necessarily have to use their Platinum or Centurion Card to qualify. (Don't forget the $150 travel credit on the Card when using for cruise purchases)

Host Dan

Dan,

Is the $150 travel credit on the card in ADDITION to the $300 shipboard credit? We always get the shipboard credit with our Platinum AmEx, but I don't recall receiving anything else from AmEx.

Ricki

Larry - knowing me, I am probably totally confused as usual - but I don't know what a Seven Seas Society "Platinum" event is. I'm only a Silver - but 2 nights away from Gold (for whatever that's worth - I am happy with just getting free internet). I was speaking of AMX Platinum events, such a cocktail parties, tour of crew quarters, etc.

Dan,

Is the $150 travel credit on the card in ADDITION to the $300 shipboard credit? We always get the shipboard credit with our Platinum AmEx, but I don't recall receiving anything else from AmEx.

Ricki

Yes, the $150 credit is in addition. This is a credit to your credit card bill once a year. (travel credit) I believe you must use an Amex affiliated TA.

Host Dan

There are a few things being confused.

As to US Platinum/Centurion cardholders, you only need to have it and use a related Amex product. If Regent isn't checking, or doesn't care, if you make your final payment with a Visa, great; but is it not as it is supposed to be.

The onboard credit from Amex is $150 per person, up to $300 per suite. So if you are a single you get $150. If you are a triple (there are a few of them) you only get $300. You can, however, pay for up to three suites (ex. a family of four with two suites would get $600). If you have a Centurion card it is $250/$500.

While you cannot combine the Amex Platinum benefit with consortium provided complimentary tours (like Ensemble, Virtuoso, Signatures, etc.) it has no effect only any onboard credits which your travel agent personally gives you or any Regent supplied benefits (parties, etc.)

Hope this clarifies things.

Couple of things:

Eric, I'm sorry but singles do get $225 when they are paying single supplement on their suite. It's on the Regent website (or in mailings), and several friends have gotten it. (Do we know each other well enough for me to drop the "Mr. Boat" now?)

If I were required to use an Amex employed travel agent in order to get credit on my bill, $150 wouldn't be enough. I've had very few positive encounters with Platinum Travel agents, and could tell some long (and very boring to you but traumatic to me at the time) stories about the negatives.

You can get the Amex credit from any TA; not just a Amex related one. (Amex tried that for about two months a couple of years ago and it backfired on them!)

I have double checked and now if you are paying a single supplement then you do get a pro-rata on board credit. So if you are paying a 150% single supplement you receive $150 x 150% = $225.00. (This is relatively new...and well deserved!)

You can get the Amex credit from any TA; not just a Amex related one. (Amex tried that for about two months a couple of years ago and it backfired on them!)

I have double checked and now if you are paying a single supplement then you do get a pro-rata on board credit. So if you are paying a 150% single supplement you receive $150 x 150% = $225.00. (This is relatively new...and well deserved!)

My understanding is that comes out of the TA's pocket. I called AmEx yestreday and specifically asked if the Platinum credit applied if you used the Platinum card through a TA other than AmEx. She said no - it has to be booked through AmEx. I know some TAs give the credit to compete to keep their customers happy.

That is absolutely untrue! :mad: I can assure you that I am not personally shelling out thousands of dollars to cover that cost.:eek: It sounds like an agent trying to keep a potential customer without being exactly candid.:rolleyes:

It is actually a very simple process that any travel agency can undertake for its clients.

But we are talking about two different credits here, we may need to separate apples from oranges.

The $150 pp (225 for singles) is an onboard credit that any TA who wants to jump through Amex's hoops can provide for their client.

the $150 ON THE BILL credit that Dan was talking about may very well require an Amex agent. Since they are both $150, and are both credits of some sort, it's going to be easy to get them confused.

Hmm. I thought you had to use the actual Platinum card. But I guess the deal is, if you own one, but use *another* Amex card, you get the credit.

It's also worth noting that if you are travelling with friends, and they use an Amex card to book, you can get them the onboard credit as well. We just found this out recently since we're booked on the PG with a friend next December, and he's paying with a different kind of Platinum card, but he's going to get his $225 credit by being affiliated with us, which is very nice, since as you say, the single supplement is pretty steep.

Pam,

To me it is pretty simple: (1) Amex Platinum credit is an onboard credit put onto your shipboard account; and, (2) Travel Agent provided credit, which may also be put onto your shipboard account. These are just two different benefits from two different sources.

The one that Dan is talking about is another marketing "effort" by Amex Platinum Travel (which is really just a travel agency). Amex PT (not the card!) is just giving you Option (2) above...but for a paltry $150. It is no different than any other TA provided onboard credit. Hence it is not really a benefit of the card...unless you otherwise would use a TA that does not provide added value.

Alas, it is just Amex using the card to market its travel service; not actually provide you with anything extra truly. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Wendy, you need to do more than associate the bookings. The payments need to be made with the card...unless there is something different in Canada (which, like most other countries, varies substantially from the US programs).

Archived