Buying New Cruise Luggage

Wennfred

Well after this long Freedom Trip, we decided to buy some really good highly visible Luggage, everyone has the Black type of the rollers and we couldn't figure out which ones were ours from far away.

I read on the plane that this company has the lightest luggage and it even has a self repair zipper. I'm looking at this luggage, its called The Helium Fusion Collection from Delsey. Does anyone have this type of Luggage?

Helium Fusion Collection

from Delsey will suit all of your traveling needs with zest and style! Made of 1800 Polyester and self repairing interlocking zippers, the cases from the Helium Fusion Collection are extremely durable. Molded polypropylene kickplates eliminate wear at stress points. The recessed locking trolley handle has an easy access push button lock and release system making it a one hand operation. The Helium Fusion Collection from Delsey offers great value on dependable premium lightweight luggage that you won't be able to pass up!

QW1170_l.jpg

QW1170_c.jpg

:cool: It was colourful, lightweight and totally destroyed by airlines. I thought, wouldn't it be nice to have new luggage that was light and easily identifiable. Came off first flight with two handles (extensions) broken - came off next flight with one handle grip broken. Had repaired - next trip as bad. went back to my big, old, heavy Samsonite and came off same as went on. My daughter bought a super bright pink suitcase - now is as black as ours it. Now I just attach bright coloured material and can pick out anywhere. The cases by the way were really flimsy and offered not protection what so ever to the contents. That being said - it looks gorgeous and I hope others will be more encouraging.:cool:

We got a really great deal at Macys last Thanksgiving? On sale plus a $10 off coupon for whichever we wanted.

We picked a 5 piece set in RED, just because of what you said, highly visible. So we brought it on our last cruise, and I was surprised how many red sets there are. We could have gotten a purple set, but it didnt have the biggest bag, it had a duffel instead. Purple I say, purple next time.

We have the Delsey. The airlines and cruise lines destroy it just as well as something that costs half that much. If you're going to travel, buy inexpensive luggage and let them have at it ('cause they're going to anyway). If you're set on the Delsey or any other well-known brand, T.J. Maxx usually has it for a lot less than the major department stores.

Hi Fred.

Delsey is one of the better luggage names. As a former dept. store luggage buyer, I would recommend that you look for luggage is made from balistic nylon. You can get them light weight and it's very durable. Very hard for the airlines/cruiselines to destory it. I've had my current piece of (Lark- it's not even made any more)luggage about 14yrs and it is still in great shape. I do have a piece of the Desley Helium but have yet to use it. It's still in the box. If you are going to with a polyester, don't go with anything less than an 1800 denier.

I love this luggage! We bought it for our honeymoon 3 years ago this summer and have recently bought a second piece to replace the cheaper (can already tell and only used it twice) piece for our upcoming cruise!

100 percent worth it!

Well after this long Freedom Trip, we decided to buy some really good highly visible Luggage, everyone has the Black type of the rollers and we couldn't figure out which ones were ours from far away.

I read on the plane that this company has the lightest luggage and it even has a self repair zipper. I'm looking at this luggage, its called The Helium Fusion Collection from Delsey. Does anyone have this type of Luggage?

Helium Fusion Collection

from Delsey will suit all of your traveling needs with zest and style! Made of 1800 Polyester and self repairing interlocking zippers, the cases from the Helium Fusion Collection are extremely durable. Molded polypropylene kickplates eliminate wear at stress points. The recessed locking trolley handle has an easy access push button lock and release system making it a one hand operation. The Helium Fusion Collection from Delsey offers great value on dependable premium lightweight luggage that you won't be able to pass up!

QW1170_l.jpg

QW1170_c.jpg

I know you are asking for others that have this luggage but I will always go with the cheapest luggage and make it uniquely mine on my own. I have no idea what they do to the luggage but mine usually looks like it's been dragged under a bus. I use bright neon green duct tape on mine and tie dyed pieces of fleece on the handles to make it clear it's mine. I just can't see spending big bucks on luggage that will get destroyed. If there is a luggage out there that can withstand the beating of the handlers then that might be something to consider.

Not sure about that particular luggage. However, you can go to ebags.com and look by weight, size, manufacturer, color, ect. They also give reviews from other users.

So look around and don't jump at the first thing. It won't be long and I will be looking for new lighter luggage as well. Those darn flight restrictions are tough sometimes.

Also as someone else suggested, put bright colored ribbon, material, duct tape or something else on the luggage you have now. I finally did this on my last cruise and was amazed at how much quicker I was able to find my luggage in the sea of luggage in the terminal.

Good luck finding the right fit for your needs.

My second cruise was to celebrate graduation and I was given new luggage as a gift. The large suitcase arrived in my room with a huge dent and tear in the corner. :( I just wouldn't invest tons of money in luggage for a cruise or a flight.

That said, my mother purchased a very inexpensive set of American Tourister from WMartdotcom in that very shade of blue..has those spinner wheels...and is thrilled with it. Very easy to handle, no noticable stains as of yet, no tears, no breakage and it's been through 6 flights and 2 cruises. It's also very noticeable at pick up time due to the color.

Good luck finding the right bags for you:)

I've had a cheap set of the walmart American Tourister stuff for about five years but the airlines destroyed it on our last trip. I actually looked at the Delsey in TJ Maxx - looks very sturdy but don't know if anything will keep the airlines from messing it up - especially if they slit it with a knife trying to get inside like they did one of mine. :mad: Luckily nothing was stolen. I'm still not sure how they pulled the metal frame out of my other bag and bent it in half in the other bag.

I ended up buying the Wenger Swiss Army stuff mainly because it not only looked rugged - but one bag was bright lime green and the other was electric orange!!! It may be ugly but I'm going to find it on the conveyor belt at the airport. :D

We'll see in July how it holds up.

I bought a three piece tomato red set of Heys X-case from luggage.com for around $300. These are super light weight and very strong (although the luggage handlers at either Toronto Pearson or New York La Guardia managed to dent one). The pieces fit inside each other so are economical to store. What I like is that even though one has been dented, they have resisted any further damage. They come in bright colors so are easy to spot on the luggage carousel. Being super light you can put more in them. If you get fifteen round trip airline trips out of a set of luggage, consider yourself lucky.

As others have said.... you can getDelsey at Macy's. Look out for deals and coupons from Macy's.

Macys last Thanksgiving had every single piece of luggage 50% off. One really expensive brand was 60% off, and then a few sale pieces on special.

I like anything with bigger wheels. Smaller wheels are harder to get up and down curbs without scraping the bags and easier to wheel around the airprot to me.

I bought my bright blue delsey at Dillards for $50.00 a piece. It was clearance for 75% off. You just need to look for deals. Already after one cruise and one trip to Vegas it is looking a little dirty. I would not recommend pink because stains will be more prominant. Before this luggage I had Skyway ultralight and it was the worst junk I could have ever had. The retractable handles won't retract. before that samsonite that weighed 20 lbs per suitcase but I carried it for 15 years and it still looked brand new.

I would recommend that you look for luggage is made from balistic nylon. You can get them light weight and it's very durable. Very hard for the airlines/cruiselines to destory it.

The Helium Breeze Collection has the 1682 Ballistic Dupont material, it could save my life one day :D We got a Macy's and TJ Maxx store close by, I will keep any eye out for those sales.

Helium Breeze Collection

from Delsey is unbelievably lightweight but is fully functional with it's many features. The Helium Breeze Collection is equipped with a lightweight graphite frame and constructed of durable 1682 bullet proof Ballistic Dupont Teflon protected Nylon material with EVA foam backing. This long-lasting and sleek luggage collection from Delsey is ideal for any traveler, so start traveling in style with the reliable Helium Breeze Collection

QW1157_c.jpg

Fred, check out these links then look at the photos of the back of the suitcase. I recommend you find bags made like this one in the back:

http://www.ebags.com/american_tourister/ilite_expandable_25_upright_closeout/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=58318

Now, the link below has a standard back on it, and I will never buy this type again. They seem to bust out easily in the corners, or at least that has been my experience.

http://www.ebags.com/skyway/world_explorer_26_vertical_upright_suiter/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=107232

REAL men wear PINK!

This is really off topic but the local county sheriff in Phoenix makes his inmates wear pink underwear (and endure other humiliations) so there may be something in what you say. Fred??? Comments????

I'm most likely going to buy the Blue Luggage, the review on the 21 inch Delsey Helium Fusions says that there are very few blues out there and this guy flys alot:

"I have had this bag for over 3 years. I am Platinum with Continental, Diamond with Hilton, and Platinum with Marriott. I used this bag 90-100 times a year. I am 6' tall. Bag is best for a 5 day trip, the expanding portion is very nice. If I have to use the expansion area I have to check the bag. 99% of the time I take it on the plane and it has always fit in the overhead (except the regional jets). The handle is starting to get a bit wobbly, the zipper pulls have broken off and I had to remove a couple from unused compartments to my most commonly used compartments. I always put my laptop on the top of the bag and carry both. That is a great feature of the dual bar design. My coworkers with the single bar always have their laptop bags fall off. I might have short arms and/or long stride in that I must be aware of keeping the bag away from my feet in that I kick the bag, it twists with the laptop on and I have to stop and readjust the laptop. I have the blue model, I like the fact that very few blue bags are out there (if I check my bag) to identify quickly. Material has held up, no issue except scuff marks. Zippers are all perfect (except the pulls). I have never owned a black case, they all have had black scuff marks, might be why black is so popular. I can hold 3 pants, 5 or 6 polos, undergarments, 1 pair of running shoes, then stuff the socks in the running shoes, 1 pair of very light sweats. If I go beyond this, I have to expand the bag and it won't fit in the overhead. Would I buy this bag again. Yes."

eBags.com is a great website to do research on bags..

Thanks

Fred

Archived