No Formal nights?

Nicki61

I just read on another board that Princess no longer is doing Formal night? Is that true? If that is true, it is very sad. We always look forward to formal night. I mean, how often do we all get dressed in tuxes and gowns?

Anyone know?

I just read on another board that Princess no longer is doing Formal night? Is that true? If that is true, it is very sad. We always look forward to formal night. I mean, how often do we all get dressed in tuxes and gowns?

Anyone know?

Someone is definitely pulling your leg. Gotta love some of the things you read on the internet that are so far from the truth you wonder where people come up with this stuff they post?

Formal night is alive and well on Princess.

Thank you! Yippee! I love formal nights and I was soooo sad when I read this. That is why I had to ask the "experts' here on this board. Not that other board I read it on.

Thanks again,

To get the "real" truth, instead of relying on experts here at CC, you can always check out the website of the cruise line itself. Carnival's website clearly states their new dress codes. As does the Princess website, still showing formal as an option:p Not that there aren't experts here, but I still like to go straight to the source as much as possible:D

To get the "real" truth, instead of relying on experts here at CC, you can always check out the website of the cruise line itself. Carnival's website clearly states their new dress codes. As does the Princess website, still showing formal as an option:p Not that there aren't experts here, but I still like to go straight to the source as much as possible:D

Now I dont' have too!

Now I dont' have too!

But why would you trust unknowns on a message board rather than the entity itself? I cringe when I see questions here about passports, esp. when every other answer is different--go straight to the source, the government that issues the darn things. You might get quicker answers here, but you don't always know it's the right answer.....Obviously, dress code isn't quite the serious issue that passports are, but still.....

But why would you trust unknowns on a message board rather than the entity itself? I cringe when I see questions here about passports, esp. when every other answer is different--go straight to the source, the government that issues the darn things. You might get quicker answers here, but you don't always know it's the right answer.....Obviously, dress code isn't quite the serious issue that passports are, but still.....

I have personally received a LOT of valuable information on this board and it always bore out to be correct.

As for the formal thing, now that airlines are cutting down severely on the luggage one can take, it makes sense to not have the formal nights. It involves extra shoes and clothing which takes up room and pushes us over the luggage limit.

Of course there is an alternative. Eating in the Lido. We do the cruises mainly for the ports and the fact we are not fussy about long bus trips, too much packing and unpacking and most bus trips also restrict you to one suitcase. Oh, I know they call them coaches but they are not pulled by horses so they are buses.

Dont mean to dredge this up again.....but I think it is a shame for 2 nights people cant look nice. Not saying tux but a suit is good......It looks really cool.

Again I will say went on NCL right after Princess again.

I HATE to see shorts and t-shirts in dining rooms.

Dinner time I am sure folks at least have a pair of Khakis.......

I hope Princess never does away with it.

If NCL and Carnival want to go casual then fine.....but I would hope Princess and RCCL would want to have their own clientele

Carnival and NC's advertisements should show how people really dress as opposed to false advertising with folks looking good.

Bring down all standards

like this erroneous posting...you don't just go to the government that issues them, you also need find out if they (or visas) are necessary by asking the government of the country you are visiting

We're on the Sea Princess in the Med in July, have just received pre-sail documents and this confirms two formal nights. I phoned Princess to confirm how this worked if we had selected the anytime dining option, they confirmed that wasn't an issue and that the formal nights are the second, and the last night of the cruise. Dinner jacket armed and ready for action.

I thank you all for your information. I honestly know if I needed to know something of super importance I would call Princess. BUT if I wanted to know what is happening on cruises, I ask here.

Along with formal night I have learned about embarkation, disembarkation, ports, cabins, dining choice, clothing, activities. All of which are on the Princess website, but not the information you get from the fine fine folks here on CC!

As for the formal thing, now that airlines are cutting down severely on the luggage one can take, it makes sense to not have the formal nights. It involves extra shoes and clothing which takes up room and pushes us over the luggage limit.
The airlines aren't cutting down on the luggage that can be taken - you can take as much as used to be able to - you just have to pay for it.

I wonder how many people are leaving their booze home because of luggage limits?

If NCL and Carnival want to go casual then fine.....but I would hope Princess and RCCL would want to have their own clientele
Amen, Harry.

We're on the Sea Princess in the Med in July, have just received pre-sail documents and this confirms two formal nights. I phoned Princess to confirm how this worked if we had selected the anytime dining option, they confirmed that wasn't an issue and that the formal nights are the second, and the last night of the cruise. Dinner jacket armed and ready for action.

If you have formal night the last night of the cruise you had better get back to your cabin as soon as dinner is over so you can get your formal wear packed and out in the hall.

Of course if you are dragging your luggage off yourself then disregard this.

Bill

If you have formal night the last night of the cruise you had better get back to your cabin as soon as dinner is over so you can get your formal wear packed and out in the hall.

Of course if you are dragging your luggage off yourself then disregard this.

Bill

Good advice, I am somewhat surprised that they would have a formal night on the last night. It seems like a bad idea, but I guess sometimes it has to be done. I like to do express carry off anyways, but it would be a pain for anyone who wants to stay in their formal night all night but has to have their luggage ready for pick up.

I think its a great thing to ask on these boards. Sure, the Princess website will tell you that they suggest formal attire. However, like many of us on here complain about they dont enforce it nearly as well as they should.

They don't enforce the suggestion...?

This past September was our first cruise on Princess, after Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Carnival now. I enjoy very much getting dressed up on the formal nights so this is another reason I will say Princess has earned my loyality. I hope they keep their formal nights. WE enjoy getting dressed for dinner all nights. Not that we wear formal clothes every night. Just proper clothes for eating in the atmosphere of the dining rooms The world has become a shorts , T-shirt and jean world and I do wear them but not to dinner when you are being served some of the best food you have ever eaten, Who would want to sit beside someome that has just come from being out in the heat from the ports they just visited in the clothes they have worn all day.? Not me!!! And don't say you wouldn't do that, maybe you wouldn't, but you know some people just don't care about how they dress.

What will eventually become of the dining rooms if this type of casual dress takes over? Buffets everywhere!!! or Pizza, Hamburgers, Hotdogs and FF. Or maybe all the chain restaurants will be serving you if things start to go too casual!!

" SAVE FORMAL NIGHTS"

This past September was our first cruise on Princess, after Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Carnival now. I enjoy very much getting dressed up on the formal nights so this is another reason I will say Princess has earned my loyality. I hope they keep their formal nights. WE enjoy getting dressed for dinner all nights. Not that we wear formal clothes every night. Just proper clothes for eating in the atmosphere of the dining rooms The world has become a shorts , T-shirt and jean world and I do wear them but not to dinner when you are being served some of the best food you have ever eaten, Who would want to sit beside someome that has just come from being out in the heat from the ports they just visited in the clothes they have worn all day.? Not me!!! And don't say you wouldn't do that, maybe you wouldn't, but you know some people just don't care about how they dress.

What will eventually become of the dining rooms if this type of casual dress takes over? Buffets everywhere!!! or Pizza, Hamburgers, Hotdogs and FF. Or maybe all the chain restaurants will be serving you if things start to go too casual!!

" SAVE FORMAL NIGHTS"

" SAVE FORMAL NIGHTS"

Archived