Suites with Privacy

newkid662

My husband and I are in the very beginning stages of planning our first cruise. We will be bringing our son who will be 15 or 16 yrs old when we go. We are trying to decide between Carnival and RCI and make a decision about sharing a room or getting connecting rooms. I have seen pictures of suites that only have a curtain for privacy. Are there any suites with bedroom doors. Our son is happy to sleep on a sofa, but we are not comfortable with only a curtain between us. Obviously, cost will be a factor as well. Please share your thoughts...

I know you only metioned rci and carnival, but my family had a suite on the celebrity century and it had a sliding door between the bed area and the pull out couch. i think it was a family veranda? It was a balcony off the back.

Maybe consider NCL. The jewel class ships have penthouse suites that have a private bedroom. Your son could sleep in the living area. They aren't too expensive. If you're like us and don't want to spend that much, just give up on the whole "need for privacy" altogether. At least you're just in the beginning stage of planning.

SOME of the category 11 aft wrap-around suites on the Carnival "Spirit" class ships have a door between the bedroom and the couch area. If you do look into these ships make sure that the cabin you select has the separated rooms.

We had cabin 8273 on the Carnival Pride and it had a door to separate the 2 areas. It also has an AWESOME balcony. If I remember right, the bathroom was accessible from both living areas, which was also nice. There was a nice dressing area so that someone (me) could get ready for the day or dinner, while another person was in the bathroom.

We also went on the cruise with our teenage son - and this room worked well for us. The couch area was a little tight, but my son is tall and it was fine for him.

I am pretty sure that the "same" suite located on the same aft corner, but on a different deck did NOT have the separated rooms... so be sure to double check.

I think the "Spirit" class ships are: Pride, Miracle, Legend, Spirit

Maybe bring a friend for your son, and get them adjoining cabins. It's almost the same price for two in a cabin Abos to just one.

I might recommend getting a Balcony for yourself and an Inside cabin across the hall (on a few ships there are balconies that connect to Insides all of the way fore or aft on a deck, but very few.) My thought would be that the cost would be same for this configuration as 3 in a JS. (on the Freedom classes on RCI the 3rd can cost almost the same as the first and 2nd.) DS would have a blast with a friend and you would get your privacy :D

If you decide to go this route, talk to your TA as you invariably will have to "book" with one adult, one minor per room. Who sleeps where is up to you, of course.

Just wondering why you wouldn't be comfortable with a curtain? Our 22 y/o son stayed with us in a mini suite (NCL) and only a curtain separated the two beds. We were very comfortable with it.

Sounds to me like they are uncomfortable with just a curtain if they decide to have a romatic evening together.

Sounds to me like they are uncomfortable with just a curtain if they decide to have a romatic evening together.

then they do not know their 16 year old son will more then likely be away to very late every night.

THAt has NEVER been a problem for us. while our daughter is out having a good time w ehave time to ourselves.

To the OP, there is a dead bolt like lock you can use so that your son's card will not open the door. Use it.

I also put out the "do not desturb sign" and guess what- my daughter has never mentioned to us seeing it. I am sure she probally has though. She has been on 10 cruises with us and 6 of those she shared our stateroom.

Archived