Crown Princess - Diamonds International, St. Thomas

pineapple1176

Has anyone had an experience shopping at Diamonds International while being a Princess Cruise passenger? I purchased diamond ring, recommended by Port & Shopping Guides Mike & Nitania. At home it appraised for WAY under the purchase price. Still negotiating price refund--the guarantee is less than helpful. Yikes!!

Has anyone had an experience shopping at Diamonds International while being a Princess Cruise passenger? I purchased diamond ring, recommended by Port & Shopping Guides Mike & Nitania. At home it appraised for WAY under the purchase price. Still negotiating price refund--the guarantee is less than helpful. Yikes!!

The guarantee is only that the quality is what it was represented to be.

It does not guarantee that you made a good deal for that quality.

If your appraiser found the quality to be deficient, you should be able to get a full refund assuming it was appraised by an independent appraiser within the specified time period.

totally off topic....can someone help me with where I go to start my own thread.

Ive done it once before and cant figure it out

thanks

Top left hand corner of the messages there is a blue box that says NEW THREAD, click on that and it will start a new thread.

You will NEVER get a good deal on jewelry in the Carib

Ron

I would have to disagree with an all encompassing statement such as that. You need to be careful in the Caribbean just as you would be back home.

I purchased a Tag Heuer watch at Little Switzerland last August and got what I believe is a very good deal. The price was better than I could find here.

I believe you need to do your homework and know what you are looking for. Armed with product and pricing information, good deals can be had.

Lew

I would have to disagree with an all encompassing statement such as that. You need to be careful in the Caribbean just as you would be back home.

I purchased a Tag Heuer watch at Little Switzerland last August and got what I believe is a very good deal. The price was better than I could find here.

I believe you need to do your homework and know what you are looking for. Armed with product and pricing information, good deals can be had.

Lew

How many cruisers bring along a certified gemologist and metals expert with them on a cruise?? Besides, I don't consider a watch jewelry - it is designed to tell time.

Certainly you know that the gold standard in the Carib is 7 while in the USA it is 10. You can see the difference in the gold with the naked eye. What they tell you is 14 K may only be 10 K by US standards.

Ron

We had a very bad experience with DI last year. My husband bought me a diamond and we had it appraised when we got home. Not only did we pay too much for it but the setting was lousy. Our jeweler said we were lucky as only one prong was holding the diamond in the setting. Thus became a "battle royal" with DR and Onboard Media (their henchmen). After several months of battling with them, they finally (we were so tired of the chase) they returned the money for the setting and the work they had charged us for??. Our jeweler called the setting a "foil setting", that is it was much too small for the diamond. During those months, I was calling them at least once a day and sometimes 2-3 times/day, I was that angry.

Never again would I buy anything suggested by Princess.

I know that some have had bad experiences with shopping for jewlery while on a cruise; however, I've had some fairly good ones. I've done my homework and the purchases have always appraised out very well once home.

It's a shame that DI gave the OP such a problem. I've had some really good experiences with them (though, one experience was not as good - and that was a watch no less!).

Happy Cruising (and, hopefully, happier shopping experiences)!

We have bought diamond rings several times from DI. The first one we bought was in early December and they were having a "Christmas sale." When appraised at home, the value given by the appraiser at home was almost double what we paid for the ring. Then, in September, we bought again, and the appraised value at home was not double, but more than what we paid. I know that DI can be iffy, and I consider us lucky. I'm sorry that some have had less than great experiences.

I have had good experiences in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten with watches--Seiko to be exact. Good prices and no tax. I also bought a beautiful amethyst slide in St. Thomas at a Havensight store. Didn't bother having it appraised, wasn't that much money, but it is really pretty and gets a lot of compliments. Not sure I'd buy diamonds there or spend thousands.

That said, I avoid the stores that do a lot of advertising. I remember pricing a watch or bracelet at Colombian Emeralds--way too much money. But they advertise everywhere, as does Diamonds Int'l. I'm sure the cruise line is getting their commission too!

I also have had good luck, but on my watch, I priced it here in the US 1st. We also bought a ring in St. Marteen for $550 and had it appraised twice, once in NJ @ our jewler and once in NYC, both came in @ $950.

My husband believes watches count as jewelry, especially when it is over $1000.and he bought it for me!:)

I think we're touching on the key points above.

Diamonds? No way, no how. And certainly not from DI.

Now medium and higher-end watches? Absolutely. Plus, you can do your homework while in the CONUS and know what good prices are in the Caribbean. I am a "Junior Watch Snob" and a CPA by trade, so by nature I tend to over-analyze everything. Nearly all my 'heavier' watches (and I am not talking about weight) have been purchased in the Caribbean. And yes, the warranties are fine.

I think we're touching on the key points above.

Diamonds? No way, no how. And certainly not from DI.

Now medium and higher-end watches? Absolutely. Plus, you can do your homework while in the CONUS and know what good prices are in the Caribbean. I am a "Junior Watch Snob" and a CPA by trade, so by nature I tend to over-analyze everything. Nearly all my 'heavier' watches (and I am not talking about weight) have been purchased in the Caribbean. And yes, the warranties are fine.

Beware of counterfeits.

Have you ever seen a diamond mine in the Caribbean?

Sure..... don't they take all that sand and smash it together under high pressure to create..............

oh... wait a minute.... that makes glass. :(

Thanks for all of your replies. I have been in touch with Onboard Media and Diamonds International and have come up with an acceptable settlement. I'm surprised that it only took 1 month to reach an agreeable refund. They were both pretty decent and responsive. I'm actually getting cash and not the dreaded store credit!! I've sent a letter to Princess and was told I'd hear back from them in 2-4 weeks. We'll see!!:D

My husband did extensive homework on watches before our March cruise and got a fantastic price at A.H. Riise on a high-end watch. Had it appraised in US to make sure it wasn't a fake and it's the real deal plus it appraised for 45% more than he paid. Our daughter has bought designer jewelry at Jewels in St. Thomas at 10-15% discount--David Yurman, John Hardy, etc.

Archived