Tahiti Intercontinential Through Regent Question

Hello,

We booked 3 nights in an Over the Water Bungalow at the Tahiti Intercontinential before our cruise on the PG this upcoming August 2. So excited! Does anyone know if breakfast is included in this package. What is the breakfast like. Also, what are the prices of eating lunch and dinner at the resort. I keep hearing A LOT! What does that mean :) Thanks and SO EXCITED after reading all about this wonderful trip!

First, I would suggest you may want to book it separately and use, if possible, a membership in the Intercontinental Ambassador's Club. Over 3 days you may save well over $500-700.

The food at the hotel (as everywhere in Tahiti and FP) will make your head spin. A yogurt in a small plastic cup will run over US$7 and a handful of Doritos with salsa will run about $20. The Regent package does include breakfast which will probably be the buffet -which is quite good. (Expensive if purchased separately and if you don't usually eat a big breakfast - especially in the heat - it can be an extravagance you don't utilize. Continental breakfast is a reasonable charge.)

If you can, I strongly recommend that whatever you do, request the OWB furthest out on the dock. They are much more private, the views are more open, the water is clearer and the snorkeling is better. They are a true piece of heaven!

Enjoy.:)

I agree with Eric - don't book this through Regent, you'll pay more. Book it on your own. And DO sign up with the Intercontinental Ambassador's Club. You pay to join (can't remember how much) but you get WAY more than you paid in freebies. If I recall correctly, we actually got a FREE NIGHT which right there was worth way more than the cost of the club. Also, by using our Ambassador's Club card we got breakfast included, which you don't otherwise when booking on your own. This is also a big cost savings, given the price of food there.

And speaking of which - seriously, I've been all over the world and I have NEVER seen prices so eye-poppingly high for what really was basic hotel food. Our first night there we went down to the main restaurant where they had a buffet and Tahitian show that night. Based on the exchange rate at the time, the buffet literally cost OVER $100! That's PER PERSON! And frankly the food didn't look all that incredible - certainly not worth that amount of money. Instead we ate at the small restaurant just to the left of the main one, ordering off the menu. We still had a view of the show, and only spent about half as much. But even so it was a good $50 each.

Papeete is not exactly known as a mecca for foodies, but there are a few decent restaurants around. I encourage you to eat as many meals as possible away from the hotel. I LOVE that hotel, but the food's just not worth the mind-boggling prices.

Hello,

We booked 3 nights in an Over the Water Bungalow at the Tahiti Intercontinential before our cruise on the PG this upcoming August 2. So excited! Does anyone know if breakfast is included in this package. What is the breakfast like. Also, what are the prices of eating lunch and dinner at the resort. I keep hearing A LOT! What does that mean :) Thanks and SO EXCITED after reading all about this wonderful trip!

We stayed there last year & it is just beautiful. all of the other advice I second, but we also found out about the A la Carte menu and it is MUCH cheaper. Do not go for the buffet, I think breakfast was $50 per person! the A la carte breakfast is a huge meal & they keep bringing those wonderful french rolls...to die for! Lunch & dinner also has a A la carte menu, but you have to ask! Also, don't touch that mini bar! A Kit kat candy bar was $5, no kidding! Buy soda at the bar in cans & take lots of pictures!

Jan

Actually, we ate twice for dinner at the upscale restaurant which was wonderful. The prices we paid were high but the food and ambiance very memorable. We did the upgrade and had a free night with the Ambassador Club and one day's Breakfast By Canoe was included. You can book your room on a meal included plan - we did. We also felt the Friday night show was spectacular. The food was a seafood buffet with Lobster, shrimp and crab and was delightful. We had front table seats for the show and again felt that it was very worthwhile for us. We will do it again next time we cruise Tahiti - actually, our 4 nights there were as good for us as our 7 days were on the PG and the view from our bed was of Moorea....uh oh...I am having a bad case of Tahitian Flu...

I completely agree that the show is awesome. It was definitely a highlight of our pre-cruise stay. And the food probably was great - I just couldn't handle spending that much for it. :eek: (A little bit of sour grapes on my part perhaps? :D )

Tahitian flu going on here too....:::sneeze::::

We've been toying with the idea of a 2 day pre-cruise there.....others have the opinon that the Regent package there is actually a good deal..... First, you save $200 in deviation fees, have your transfers taken care of (cab fare is at least $30 each way, more if after 8 pm), and breakfasts are included. Can't you do the Ambassador's Club upgrade after you arrive, regardless of booking through Regent?

We usually stay at the Sheraton just because that's where we've always stayed before (close to town, right on Le Truck's route, cheaper than the Interconti) and we avoid flying ATN if possible.....terrible airline in terms of being on time, food, and service so have deviated just to fly Air France. This time though we are trying to stretch our pennies as far as we can so are doing everything Regent, including air.

Thank you for your information. This is trip my family would like to enjoy. question but is everyone skinny and trim in these islands??? We are oldsters and one son with weight problem does not want to consider the PG for fear of not fitting in for excursions. May seem silly but when you have adult child with weight problem it is concern.

Don't worry about it. On the ship there are lots of ages and body types. Yes, there will be some thin people on the ship, but there will be plenty who are not so thin. On the islands themselves, there are two types of Polynesians (at least to my eyes). There are thin, lithe ones, and there are well-rounded ones. Of all ages--it seems to be a very body-friendly culture.

This thread intrigues me..... I just booked the 14 night PG cruise (last month) for 9/2008. We have 8 nights pre cruise and after careful research, the price came out cheaper with Regent (including transfers etc). I am going to go back and recheck the math, but I believe with the taxis, boat transfer to Moorea and breakfast/taxes included we got a better deal. We are staying three nights at the Intercontinental in Tahiti and 5 nights at the Moorea Pearl.

I did the math for a two-night stay at the Radisson, using Regent, and comparing it with a cheaper hotel that we have enjoyed in the past. When you factor-in transfers, and the $200 deviation fee, it did not make sense, the Radisson package was cheaper.

There are a number of factors that go into each calculation.

The type of accommodation is a big factor. If you are staying in a lower level accommodation, the price differences are less and saving strategies different. (Ex. a $150 investment in the Intercontinental Ambassador's Club on a $250 room is not as effective as a $900 room.)

Also, packages including breakfast on a standard room may be more of a benefit than the premium paid on an expensive room (as the add-on at the hotel can be disproportionate)

Transfers are one of the great expenses that really do not need to be. Taxis are cheap, so be careful when figuring them.

Getting to Moorea can be done a number of ways including air, ferry and private boat. You need to factor that as well.

But, as a general rule, if you are just talking hotels it probably is a significant savings doing it separately.

After more research, I am finding Regents package to be cheaper than hotel direct rates. Out first 3 nights are a bisic room at the Intercontinental in Papeete and then 5 nights, overwater bungalow at Moorea Pearl. For our situation with 8 nights precruise, we will save a few hundred dollars (total for stay) on the room rates and transfers are included. I understand that transfers do not cost much, but it is a nice extra. By the way, we are using miles for the cruise so did not use Regent air which I believe gives you a slightly better price or additional benefits with your pre cruise package.

Cheers, Pam

Viatape,

You are the first person I have jeard prefer Air France over any other airline. My absolute worst experience in air travel is with Air France and their idea of customer service. Our first trip to FP was on Air France and that was nothing special either. We have not had a bad experience on ATN, flights have always been on time, the food is airline food, the drinks are free, and our bags have always traveled with us. No other airline has performed that consistently for me.

One problem with booking your own arrangements is that if something goes wrong and you have used Regent for your arrangements, they will make it OK.

egret, ditto on Air France - the absolute worst flight experience I've ever had was on Air France a couple years ago! It was an overnight transatlantic to Paris, and I've never been more uncomfortable in my life. The seats were tiny, too close together, no padding, and didn't recline (which is painful for me as I have a herniated disk), plus they had this unremovable "head rest" which pushed your head forward, forcing you to basically look down at the carpet for the entire flight. By the end of that flight my neck was stick in the down position for the next 24 hours!

Anyway, back to the IC - perhaps when you add in a stay at another place, with transportation etc, it does end up cheaper to go with Regent. We only stayed 3 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise. I know that we carefully priced it out ourselves at the time, and when we factored in all aspects, we saved a nice chunk of change doing it ourselves. But this was a year and a half ago, prices may be different now.

We also didn't use Regent air, as we saved a bundle doing it on our own (we started the vacation in New Zealand, so our flights were not the norm). We took a taxi to the ship, which was WAY cheaper than Regent's transfer.

But y'know, sometimes price isn't the most important thing. When you are jumping from place to place, and traveling in different parts of the world, there's a lot to be said for convenience and lack of worry! :)

That is really the key factor IMO: seamless travel.

If you are looking for that, then cruise line pre and/or post probably work the best. While I have pet peeves against transfers (why wait for others, load into a bus, then wait in line at the hotel when you can grab a cab, be at the hotel ahead of the bus...and usually do it for far less money), others don't want to or can't touch the bags and waiting isn't as much of a hassle as the stress of wondering when you arrive in an unfamiliar place.

Hotel prices: I don't think I have ever found a hotel cheaper through a cruise line. Many times it depends on where and how you look, for "rack rates" are substantially higher than others that may not be offered "front and center". But again, it is a hassle value/travel agent/comfort kinda things.

Let's face it, after the decision is made very few people look back and kick themselves whether the decision was right or wrong on these particular things. Now, if they picked the wrong cruise or ship or hotel, that is another story...but not necessarily related to how you pay for them.

When I look back at that trip, the ONLY thing I kick myself for doing was using the scuba shop at the Intercontinental for a scuba dive off Papeete. They were HORRIBLE! Although I read in here that they have a new operator for their onsite dive shop, so hopefully it's no longer an issue.

egret, Leejnd4 et al:

yeah, I know......Air France fans are few and far between but we are two of them. Have flown AF to Europe 7 times, and to FP 5 out of the 9 trips thus far. Best we've experienced........what can I say? Guess we are just lucky.

We are giving ATN a 4th chance this sumer and perhaps a 5th time in November if the summer experience isn't as bad as we've experienced in the past.

We don't require much above a standard room for our 2 night pre-cruise and we haven't found an inexpensive means for transfers as some on this thread have.

We have are staying at the Sheraton Papeete this summer for 3 nights for US $700 booked through our travel agent. Pretty fair in our estimation. This does not include transfers or breakfast but does include all taxes.

Regent and our travel agent quotes 2 nights at the Intercontinental ( a more expensive hotel), transfers, taxes AND breakfast for $800. Factor in the deviation fees for booking on your own and the cost is close.

Our Intercontinental stay was booked through Regent and the hotel honored our Ambassador Club Membership and upgraded us. At check-in the clerk just had to okay it with the manager and there was no problem. Mind you they can only upgrade you if there is hotel vacancy. If the place is sold out then you would have to wait until someone checks out. But if that was the case then I would ask to be put on a waiting list at check-in. Usually something comes up by the following day.

Pat

I have a couple of questions for those of you who booked your own pre-cruise hotel in Papeete and/or Moorea and for those of you who have stayed in Papeete before:

Where did you find your information and best rates - an online travel site like hotels.com or directly through the hotel? My TA is cruise only, so I don't think I can use him unless I want to book the Regent package.

Since the restaurant at the Intercontinental is so expensive, which hotels have or are within walking distance of more nearly reasonably priced restaurants?

Although we have not stayed there yet (will be in June) we booked ours through the IC website and then called the hotel and talked to them directly once we became ambassadors in their program. We were able to negotiate a better deal. In fact do your homework and check all the travel sites because the IC will honor any rate you find and match it. I like booking directly with the hotel website rather than a third party (ie Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak - one of the better ones). There are varied opinions about the IC but the general concensus is FOOD IS EXPENSIVE...once you get past that then life will be just fine. We are hoping that the new dive shop (Bathy's) will be better than Aquatica. We'll be excited to get on this trip though!!!

Archived