The Argument is Over, The Results are in, My Time Dining TOTAL success!!

Hi Bill, do you think it's possivle that number of passengers trying My Time is that it isn't an option when you book a cruise, rather you get an invitation to try it. I think I have read this numerous times.

Thanks

That might be one problem that should be reduced or eliminated as the personnel at RCI become more aware of that option and include it in the list of questions that they ask when TAs or individuals call in to book a cruise on one of the ships that offer it. However, I believe that there has been plenty of discussion in the travel industry and on these boards so that a large number of people are already aware of it and that number will only grow larger in the future. Whether or not greater awareness will lead to greater participation is subject to debate but again only time will tell. RCI has a high number of repeat cruisers, many of whom are used to, and perhaps prefer, traditional dining. Convincing enough of those people to try MyTime is one of the challenges that the cruiseline faces and why I think much more time will be needed before anyone can say with certainty whether or not both systems can be successful. :)

I for one would like to try it on RCCL. Have done Anytime on Princess and enjoyed it. Also done NCL FreeStyle. I like the concept of non traditional times, however I did not like how NCL ships are chopped up to accomadate this. Princess would be closet to comparing RCCL MTD. You could request the same dining time, waiter and table each evening, which for me is "traditional dining". I like to should up when I feel like it between times indicated.

I for one would like to try it on RCCL. Have done Anytime on Princess and enjoyed it. Also done NCL FreeStyle. I like the concept of non traditional times, however I did not like how NCL ships are chopped up to accomadate this. Princess would be closet to comparing RCCL MTD. You could request the same dining time, waiter and table each evening, which for me is "traditional dining". I like to should up when I feel like it between times indicated.

Interesting how Princess experiences are different...........we were told we could have anytime dining at 6 or 8pm:confused: I said, that is anytime dining?? We also did not have the same staff everynight and getting the same table was out of the question..........maybe they have changed and improved their system........don't know if it makes any difference, but we were on the Caribbean Princess........

Interesting how Princess experiences are different...........we were told we could have anytime dining at 6 or 8pm:confused: I said, that is anytime dining?? We also did not have the same staff everynight and getting the same table was out of the question..........maybe they have changed and improved their system........don't know if it makes any difference, but we were on the Caribbean Princess........

Both our cruises were on the CP also. One time we had a group of 8 folks which some nights all would be together to dine and others just a few. We never had a problem getting a table together when needed. I do remember one gal from our group would phone a half an hour or so ahead of time if all of us were showing up. Or have the bartender call to say we would be there at such and such a time. Other than that we just showed up at the door. It was truly a perfect fit for us. Might not be for everyone.

One time it was just my DH and myself. Another couple in a short Q suggested we dine together since we were laughing and having a good time. It worked out well.

Our times were ANYTIME between 6 and 8. They really do prefer that everyone make a reservation, but again we liked to go when we are ready.

We come from a family that does not eat dinner at a specific time each night. I think your upbringing has a lot to do with MTD or Traditional is for you.

Unfortunately that is not what happened on Brilliance, the whole upper floor was designated for MTD leaving inadequate space for "traditional" folk. I posted the negative report on Brilliance, note "on Brilliance", which was purely concerned with how RCCL had instigated it. I have no experience of the MTD experiment so clearly that was outside my remit. The posters who immediately leapt in in its defence were , in the main, talking about other lines, irrelevent I suggest. The odd one who gave such positive reports of Brilliance MTD could not fail to have a good experience since there were so few of them opting to dine that way.

Cy

This is not what happened on our Brilliance cruise. As you walk into the dining room on Deck 5, ONLY the right hand side of the room was designated My Time Dining.

That's how it was on Serenade as well. Deck 5 dining room is sort of U shaped. Only the right arm of the U was designated for MyTime dining. We were sitting at traditional at one of the tables on the curve. The people in our Cruise Critic group that signed up for it seemed to enjoy it and had no complaints. We loved our location as well, since we could sneak quickly in and out of the dining room, and the service was fabulous. :D

This is a little old news by now, but we were on the Brilliance March 3 Panama Canal cruise. Like others have stated, 1/2 of the upper deck of the dining room was set aside for My Time Dining. Everyone one who was on the Roll Call (that I talked to) was offered My Time Dining. I did not hear of any invitations but maybe there were.

We made reservations for the entire cruise on the first day. We requested, and had, the same table, server and assistant every night but one (and the two nights we didn't eat in the dining room); in that case the tables hadn't finished yet when we arrived but we were offered a choice of waiting 15 minutes or immediate seating at another table, which we did. The head waiter was very accomodating and helpful. The waiter and assistant were great.

Sure there were a few minor delays during service but nothing serious.

Sitting down at 7 pm rather than 8 was much better for us. We could enjoy the meal and take time, but still be finished by 8:30 or 9 rather than an hour later.

I too hope that both dining options (traditional and My Time) will be kept so everyone can be accomodated. Based on my one time experience I would go for My Time again.

I have to apologize but I got my Radiance class ships twisted.... it was indeed the Brilliance and not the Jewel (which I will be sailing on in less than a week)

But still it is obviously was not a properly working thing since several passenger who had nothing to do with one another came back complaining about it not working for them and basically not being the pleasant experience they were both used to or expected. Why should the passengers affected by this not be allowed to express their views since it was their holiday which in some cases negatively affected to make "space" for a situation for which this ship was not built!! I am sorry but these folks have as much right to be upset as anyone else who find their holiday not to be what they were sold.

We are just off the Serenade of the Seas after 14 nights and had the extreme pleasure of choosing My Time dining. The dining experience could hardly have been any better. Nothing but the word ‘yes’ to every one of our requests. Window table any time we asked. Table to share, “My pleasure” from the head waiter. Seating before our reservation, ‘yes’. Seating after our reservation, ‘of course’. Seating overlooking the main dining room floor, ‘yes’. Same servers every night making sure we have everything we could possibly want, ‘of course’ Meet new friends on board and join them for dinner, ‘yes’. Etc., etc. etc.!!!

Our head waiter, Ernest, and his assistant, Christine, were the most active, attentive, and accommodating head waiter and assistant we have ever seen on any of our cruises. They did everything that you can possibly think of to make My Time dining a true success!

The best part, aside from the flexibility of dining times every night (they take your reservation for the following night as you are enjoying your dessert), is that it allows both those who want traditional dining to choose traditional as well as those who are going to have a different schedule each day the opportunity via My Time to be flexible. It is all about choices and the option of MyTime dining provides that.

We had absolutely no downsides at all nor did we meet anyone who did. And as a group the My Time diners were thrilled with their service every night.

Can’t say it enough ways that My Time was absolutely fantastic![/quote

Thank you for your view on the MTD. It's great to hear from someone who actually has tried this new system.:D

Very MIS leading thread title.............trust me......from the info I have from my TA's Regional Rep.........this is far from settled......in fact from what I hear it better pick up........soon..........

Not misleading anymore. Guess the rep. was wrong.

Not misleading anymore. Guess the rep. was wrong.

Not sure how you figure.............

#1 this was a couple of months ago she reported this to my TA.

#2 based on a few successful experiences (which I do believe) I wouldn't say the rep was wrong..........

#3 I still say the thread title is MIS leading based on one person's experience........

IMO of course:D

Of course there is no right or wrong or way to argue this other than whether the thread title is misleading. There are obviously those that want RC to be more like NCL or Princess..........I understand this...........I just wish it would stay RC. LOL!!

I really hope it begins before our cruise on the AOS in July. Not having to rush to make it to dinner at 6:00 will be great. We have done Freestyle on NCL and it was great. Never had to wait more than a few minutes. We sat at Table for two but were always close to another table for two and always introduced to them. Some we conversed with, some not. It was very nice to choose.

I was saying the rep was wrong saying it was far from settled, seeing that they just announced it would go fleetwide. As far as the title being misleading, well, it appears that RCCL agrees with the poster on this.

I was saying the rep was wrong saying it was far from settled, seeing that they just announced it would go fleetwide. As far as the title being misleading, well, it appears that RCCL agrees with the poster on this.

OK....I'm with you..........hadn't seen that they had announced it would go fleetwide.......I'm sorry to hear that but hope it works out for the best for everybody. Just sorry to see RC feels like they have to change to be competetive........but I understand it with soon to be 5,000 people ships they have to fill........they have to try and please everyone........:)

We have chosen My Time for our upcoming cruise for the flexibility of choosing times and dining companions. We may even opt for the Windjammer if we just want to wolf down some food and go do something else like sit in the jacuzzi for a while. We would definitely do the My Time in the dining room on the two formal nights so we can show off our evening wear.

I'm one of the ones very happy to see RCI change with the times. They are now giving the ones that do not want to be held down to a set time the alternative to eat when they want. For those that still prefer traditional dining, then it is still there for you.

I'm glad they have instituted this as well.

It should cut down on those pax that arrive late and demand to be served no matter how late they arrive.

Now they can go elsewhere and those that enjoy traditional won't have to put up with their rudeness.:)

Doubt that it cuts down on rude people. The rude folks that I have witnessed would not be your typical "My Time" dining folks anyway. ;)

You mean they are more like Windjammer or JR?;)

It is rude to come to dinner late.

My time should help that problem. Hopefully they will encounter long lines and have to wait to be seated.

Poetic justice.:p

I agree with you that it appears that RCI agrees with the poster. However, I hope that their decision is not premature, since they seem to be basing that decision on a very limited test on one ship (Freedom of the Seas) since last Fall and on only two more ships over the past month or so. Princess, when they introduced Freestyle Dining, immediately announced it was a tremendous success. Only after it was in place for a while did we hear from the many Princess cruisers who were unhappy with the way it operated. Let's just hope that we don't read similar complaints after MyTimeDining is extended fleetwide.:rolleyes: The fact that they are extending MTD to the entire fleet shouldn't mean that if it turns out to be less successful than hoped, they can't reverse their decision. Coca-Cola quickly realized that their market research predicting spectacular success for New Coke® was flawed and quickly adapted to reality. If MTD is similarly unpopular, RCI should follow Coke's lead. I hope it doesn't come to that and that both styles can be offered successfully, but I do think it would be wise to wait until the evidence is clearer before declaring success.:)

I'm one of the ones very happy to see RCI change with the times. They are now giving the ones that do not want to be held down to a set time the alternative to eat when they want. For those that still prefer traditional dining, then it is still there for you.

Exactly, and the ones who choose traditional dining won't have to wonder if their fellow table-mates will show up or not. How many times have we read negative comments about missing or late table-mates??

We really view this as a win-win for everyone.

###

While I prefer traditional dining..and have never had an issue of being there on time, I respect that others need longer to get ready or whatever the case is. What I will have an issue with is should RC use the regular tables as part of the My-Time dining and there are people seated at our table when we arrive or delaying our seating because of My Time folks, then I would let RC know that all is not well with their decision.

Warren and Yvonne

I agree with you that it appears that RCI agrees with the poster. However, I hope that their decision is not premature, since they seem to be basing that decision on a very limited test on one ship (Freedom of the Seas) since last Fall and on only two more ships over the past month or so. Princess, when they introduced Freestyle Dining, immediately announced it was a tremendous success. Only after it was in place for a while did we hear from the many Princess cruisers who were unhappy with the way it operated. Let's just hope that we don't read similar complaints after MyTimeDining is extended fleetwide.:rolleyes: The fact that they are extending MTD to the entire fleet shouldn't mean that if it turns out to be less successful than hoped, they can't reverse their decision. Coca-Cola quickly realized that their market research predicting spectacular success for New Coke® was flawed and quickly adapted to reality. If MTD is similarly unpopular, RCI should follow Coke's lead. I hope it doesn't come to that and that both styles can be offered successfully, but I do think it would be wise to wait until the evidence is clearer before declaring success.:)

Bill........while I agree with most of your post here.......the only exception that I'll take is your similarity to Coke........If you remember....New Coke did not take off.......so they changed it back.........somewhat to the old recipe. However..........they never totally changed it back.........and to get the old recipe.....(no not the one with cocaine included) you have to go to Mexico or Europe where the old recipe still is used. In the US....they have cheapened the recipe........for profit..........and something that I don't know anymore............and do not remember the flavor from my childhood.

Now.....on to mytime dining. I'm hoping that it works...because.I hope it's OK to be picky.......we enjoy dining at 7:30. We have never created any fuss about out dining time. We eat in the Windjammer or our cabin.

Hopefully the new program works. We want to try it. If it's a disaster......we will go back to the WJ and our cabin.

Someone said that they are changing room service.......and that now..even if you have the RS.......or and OS.......they will no longer serve in courses.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on that.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

Exactly, and the ones who choose traditional dining won't have to wonder if their fellow table-mates will show up or not. How many times have we read negative comments about missing or late table-mates??

We really view this as a win-win for everyone.

###

Unless your tablemates at traditional dining still show up late. Having MTD will not cause people to be on time in traditional.

Archived