If you could choose.....

I would definitely choose two cruises rather than a balcony. To me, a balcony is an extra amenity while two cruises equals more vacation time. I feel that I can always walk up a couple decks and sit outside anyway.

Derek

between 2 cruises with oceanview rooms or 1 cruise with a balcony room which would you choose and why?

Tammy

For me it depends. I've had inside, window, and balcony cabins. The inside ones were great because we weren't really in our rooms that often. We were too busy laying by the pools or out on excursions. I personally thought the window was a waste because we had to stand on the bed and look out the window.

For our honeymoon, we splurged for a balcony and have ever since. It's so nice to be able to grab your camera and take lots of photos while coming into port, or during sunset, without having to run up to the top deck.

This fall, we're switching back to an inside cabin because we are bringing our son for the first time so the budget only allows for an inside for this trip.

We are hoping to get a balcony or junior suite in the future for Alaska. I know it's a bit chilly to sit out there, but we don't want to miss any scenery. Last time we sailed into Vancouver, we just grabbed the extra blankets off our beds and wrapped up and sat out there.

Does that help? I guess it depends on what ship, and what destinations. There are some ships that have more balconies and therefore are more affordable. I think the Radiance class ships usually have more affordable balconies.

I vote for the two vacation option. Two vacations are always better than one, right?

One with a balcony. We love being able to go outside whenever we want instead of walking the halls to get to the elevator to get to the outside. Plus, we leave the door open at night to listen to the sound of the ship going through the ocean. And when the ship is in port, it's nice to be able to just step out and see what's going on.

I say two with an ocean view. I too have all three types and I would rather go on two vacations then one. The balcony is nice but I hardly use it when I have it. The only time I am in my room is when I am sleeping or getting ready to go out. But, then I live on the beach so I see the ocean everyday any way.

Generally I would say two cruises are always better than one but...

I hate to be a downer but my balcony SAVED my last cruise. I got noro and was quarantined! Once I felt better (24 hours) I had 48 more hours of quarantine. If I had an inside it would have been dreadful. An oceanview would have been better, but my balcony allowed me to sit out and read and see the scenery and the ports (a view of them anyway) and I honestly can't say it was a disaster to get quarantined. Of course I would have rather been out and about, but I enjoyed my quiet time and my balcony!

Hope this never happens to you.

I vote for 2 cruises in an OV. Balconies are nice and with the Diamond discount the balcony is not much more than an OV. But if it was a 2fer we would do two cruises instead of one.

between 2 cruises with oceanview rooms or 1 cruise with a balcony room which would you choose and why?

Tammy

no brainer.....two with an OV.......or even.......3 with an inside and pre or post cruise stay.......:)

We spend little time in the cabin.

I love a balcony but I've sailed in less more than once and I'll do it again if it means getting to cruise.

I totally agree on the itinerary....we've had a great balcony and spent almost no time on it because of it being too cold and windy....kind of a waste of a good balcony!! I don't think I'll go to the Caribbean and have anything less than a balcony tho as we spend lots of time out there.

If you're on a ship with a promenade you can always check out those cabins too. Some cruisers really like them.

Happy Cruising!

I'd go for the balcony. One round trip flight, one pre and post stay at the port, one amount of spending money and one vacation used up.

Going for a lesser cabin would cost you more in the long run, even though you would have two vacations. Just depends on how much money you want to spend overall and how much time you can get off work if you're still employeed.

Tammy

While I love balconies (and I am a smoker to top it off) but if it is a money issue: two cruises

I rather go smoking on deck.

Why? A cruise is just wonderful. Two cruises are even better. :D

I guess I must be different to most people, our cabin is never just a place to dump our stuff and sleep, we actually do spend the majority of our time in there so a balcony is a huge part of that. Our cabin is a major part of our cruise experience so I would always prefer to have one vacation with a balcony instead of 2 vacations with an OV :)

I have only been on 3 cruises, always with a balcony but I love cruising so much that if given a choice of 2 cruises with a view of the ocean or 1 cruise with a balcony I would take the 2 cruises.

Yes, I do a lot of time on my balcony; breakfast in the morning, coffee and pastries in the afternoon and a cocktail at night. But the thought of an extra cruise in the same year would definitely make me choose the OV.

When we were younger we always just took an oceanview room but as we now are emptynesters and have more money we always take a balcony. I like a balcony much better but if I had to take another oceanview room, I would still have a good time. If you love cruising and can only afford an oceanview room for 2 cruises, take it and enjoy your time together.

Pat

Definitely 2 cruises with a window. The cabin is not the most important thing to me. While I love having a balcony, I don't love it enough to keep me from taking another cruise. I love being at sea and would take an extra cruise any day.

Much rather have 2 cruises with OV....or better yet......do inside and have 3 cruises..... IMO if want you want to look at water go up a few decks and you can see all the water you want !! Unless it's a special occasion, I go with the cheaper room...........more spending money, same food, same shows, more gambling....

My first 3 cruises were in insides, the next 2 were in obstructed oceanviews (due to price drops), and my last 2 cruises were in balconies (one due to my mom wanting the balcony, and the other due to a free upgrade). Balconies are nice, but I don't like paying for them. I booked insides for my next 4 cruises - which includes Alaska this July. (I just changed to an obstructed oceanview last week when that price dropped to less than the price of my inside cabin.)

I will always choose more budget trips rather than fancier accommodations on fewer trips. :)

Archived