Gratuities letter from Royal Caribbean

factor30

Have just received the following from Royal Caribbean (Customer Services,Azamara Cruises) via my travel agent:-

Dear Mr......

Re Azamara Quest 21/06/2008

We write with reference to your forthcoming cruise with us on board the Azamara Quest.

Please be advised of the following important information regarding gratuities (service charges) whilst sailing with Azamara Cruises.

If you have not already prepaid your Service Charge, for your convenience, a gratuity, in recognition of the outstanding personal service onboard, will automatically be added to your SeaPass in the amount of $12.25 per guest, per day. (This is approximately £6.61 per guest, per day.) This covers your Butler & Stateroom Attendant as well as all your restaurant staff. Since our ships offer multiple open seating dining venues and many different staff members will serve you during the course of your stay onboard, the restaurant staff allotment is evenly distributed among them.

Please note that Bar & Wine personnel are also acknowledged for their service with the standard 18% of the beverages and wines billed, which will be shown on your bar receipt.

We believe that this gratuity process is far smoother and easier as our guests will not be required to complete vouchers or forms whilst onboard.

We trust that this information is clear but should you have any queries, please contact our Reservations Team on.............

We took an Azamara cruise last year but did not receive this letter or similar. However, it would seem that all dining venues come under one heading - what I mean is that a gratuity is now NOT expected in the specialty restaurants, Aqualina or Prime C. At least that's how I read it.

What do you think?

Rita

P.S. Have also posted this information on the Roll Call for 21 June sailing.

Hi Rita !

Last I heard, as the Specialty Restaurants are now complimentary, a $ 5.00 per person gratuity was "appreciated" but not mandatory. I believe the Specialty Dining room staff do not share tips from other areas. That is what I was told on Quest in October.

Still, the decision whether to tip in the Specialty Restaurants is ultimately a personal decision to make. We paid a surcharge back then to dine in the Specialty Restaurants, and we still gave an extra tip, as the food and service was wonderful. I hope this helps a bit.

Hi Rita !

Last I heard, as the Specialty Restaurants are now complimentary, a $ 5.00 per person gratuity was "appreciated" but not mandatory. I believe the Specialty Dining room staff do not share tips from other areas. That is what I was told on Quest in October.

I wonder how they work that out ?

Since the specialty dining rooms are only open in the evening does that mean the staff that work there get the whole day off:D

NOT!! they are probably working in other dining venues during the day so would share in the pooled tips

I wonder how they work that out ?

Since the specialty dining rooms are only open in the evening does that mean the staff that work there get the whole day off:D

NOT!! they are probably working in other dining venues during the day so would share in the pooled tips

Hi LHT !

I can only share what I was told, and this information was from a Senior Management crewmember onboard Quest. I am sorry you feel reason to doubt what I was told. I trust where the information came from, as I have known this person for several years.

Anyhow... I was told the Specialty Restaurant staff do not work in the Main Dining Room, and therefore do not share their tips. I did have a chance to speak with a few of the waiters when I was sailing on Quest. They confirmed this information. Several of them had mentioned they worked Room Service when they werent in their Specialty Restaurant assignment. I asked them if that allowed them to get any of the Dining Room tips, and each person I asked, said no.

If you think they just work the few hours in the Specialty Dining room, you can put that thought out of your head. I am sure they are kept very busy doing other things when their main venue is closed.

the way i read it was ,your going to pay the SERVICE CHARGE wether you like or not and this is how much

That could very well be the case, but from recent reports, the tip in the specialty dining room was suggested and not mandatory.

I will give Azamara a call in the next day or 2, and see what I can find out.

It is also the case that X have a policy for UK customers that the service charge is added automatically added and you have to do an over ride to remove it. This may be due to the fact that sometimes our culture is not to tip. Personally I have no problem and I like to have that cost out of the way with the holiday costs. We do of course give extra in an envelope to people who go that little bit extra

A

Hi Andy

We also paid the $20 or $25 p.p. extra depending on Aqualina or Prime C last November on Quest, plus gratuities.

However, the letter I received does state 'our ships offer multiple open seating dining venues' which should eradicate the onus put on the guest to feel that he/she is obliged to make a mandatory gratuity payment. Where Azamara decide to place their waiting staff at any given time throughout the ship's eating venues is not the guest's problem.

I look forward to any comments you get from Azamara on this subject.

Rita

Hi LHT !

I can only share what I was told, and this information was from a Senior Management crewmember onboard Quest. I am sorry you feel reason to doubt what I was told. I trust where the information came from, as I have known this person for several years.

Just seems odd that they would have specific crew just for the specialty dining rooms/room service.

I have not sailed Aza so will have to take your word for it.

I know on Oceania the crew is found in all dining venues from the buffet/room service/specialty dining rooms & GDR.

Have just received the following from Royal Caribbean (Customer Services,Azamara Cruises) via my travel agent:-

Dear Mr......

Re Azamara Quest 21/06/2008

We write with reference to your forthcoming cruise with us on board the Azamara Quest.

Please be advised of the following important information regarding gratuities (service charges) whilst sailing with Azamara Cruises.

If you have not already prepaid your Service Charge, for your convenience, a gratuity, in recognition of the outstanding personal service onboard, will automatically be added to your SeaPass in the amount of $12.25 per guest, per day. (This is approximately £6.61 per guest, per day.) This covers your Butler & Stateroom Attendant as well as all your restaurant staff. Since our ships offer multiple open seating dining venues and many different staff members will serve you during the course of your stay onboard, the restaurant staff allotment is evenly distributed among them.

Please note that Bar & Wine personnel are also acknowledged for their service with the standard 18% of the beverages and wines billed, which will be shown on your bar receipt.

We believe that this gratuity process is far smoother and easier as our guests will not be required to complete vouchers or forms whilst onboard.

We trust that this information is clear but should you have any queries, please contact our Reservations Team on.............

We took an Azamara cruise last year but did not receive this letter or similar. However, it would seem that all dining venues come under one heading - what I mean is that a gratuity is now NOT expected in the specialty restaurants, Aqualina or Prime C. At least that's how I read it.

What do you think?

Rita

P.S. Have also posted this information on the Roll Call for 21 June sailing.

The suggested " Tip" in the Prime C and the Aqualina is € 5.- per Pax and it will be added to your Billautmatically. Personally I find this not correct, because if you have a good Waiter you would tip more or like in our Case a catastrophic Service which I would not have tipped.

The suggested " Tip" in the Prime C and the Aqualina is € 5.- per Pax and it will be added to your Billautmatically. Personally I find this not correct, because if you have a good Waiter you would tip more or like in our Case a catastrophic Service which I would not have tipped.

The suggested service gratuity (as far as I understand) is $5 not euros (I think you've quoted a euro symbol) and is not automatically added to your bill.

Everything on board Azamara is priced in dollars. I would strongly object if a gratuity was automatically added when we used one of the restaurants.

Rita

We travelled on the Quest transatlantic April 12th and dined twice in Aqualina and once in Prime C . Each time we were offered a slip to sign for the suggested gratuity of $5 per person - it was entirely optional whether to sign or not and the amount was not automatically added to the bill.

The setting, the service and the food were all exceptional and we personally thought that $5 was a small price to pay (though we did hear one person objecting).

We travelled on the Quest transatlantic April 12th and dined twice in Aqualina and once in Prime C . Each time we were offered a slip to sign for the suggested gratuity of $5 per person - it was entirely optional whether to sign or not and the amount was not automatically added to the bill.

The setting, the service and the food were all exceptional and we personally thought that $5 was a small price to pay (though we did hear one person objecting).

Hi Spanglycruisegirl !

Thank you for the update. It was pretty much as I said earlier, but I was hoping a recent Azamara passenger would come on the boards to update us. The information is appreciated !

The moment anyone starts talking about Gratuities, we open up that old hoary chestnut of “to tip or not to tip, that is the question”!

Sorry but coming from Australia and living in an egalitarian society, and stanchly committed to a fair days pay for a fair days work, tipping is not something that comes easily to most of us.

Please don’t get me wrong, I do believe in rewarding exceptional service, in Australia mostly by going out of my way to personally seek out and thank the service provider, and overseas in places such as Bali, Vietnam, Thailand and the like, where I know that their wage is quite small, in addition to thanking them I will also provide a tip, commensurate with service and normal wage.

However I do object at having to pay a gratuity simply to “make up” an employees pay to a reasonable wage, that should be the responsibility of the employer, in this case the Cruise Line.

Like most Australians we normally purchase a Cruise package which includes the Gratuities in the total cost, which somewhat placates our egalitarian senses, however if we receive exceptional service form our room attendant or any crewmember for that matter I will reward them with thanks and a tip.

However with the Gratuities being automatically added to your SeaPass, or account, irrespective of you being in receipt of “outstanding personal service” or not, seems to imply that it is simply a “top up” of substandard wages!

Just as, I might add, do I balk at the 18% or whatever it is “Service Charge” being added to your Bar Bill, given the price of most drinks appears to well and truly cover costs and provide a handsome profit, for what purpose or reason is the 18% added, and how much of it actually gets back to the bar staff, also if they were being paid a reasonable wage why would it be necessary?

The other thing I don’t understand, and especially as an old Marine Engineer, why don’t the Engine-room Staff deserve a tip for providing you with hot and cold running water, air-conditioning and power, after all they are service providers just like the wait staff?

Sorry to get on my soapbox but I simply think it is all a bit of a con job, why not simply put the price of the Cruise up by $150 per passenger and increase the crews wages by the amount they would normally get, and then publish the fact that “Passengers on our Ships do not pay Gratuities”.

Food for thought!

Regards, Bruce

The moment anyone starts talking about Gratuities, we open up that old hoary chestnut of “to tip or not to tip, that is the question”!

Sorry but coming from Australia and living in an egalitarian society, and stanchly committed to a fair days pay for a fair days work, tipping is not something that comes easily to most of us.

Please don’t get me wrong, I do believe in rewarding exceptional service, in Australia mostly by going out of my way to personally seek out and thank the service provider, and overseas in places such as Bali, Vietnam, Thailand and the like, where I know that their wage is quite small, in addition to thanking them I will also provide a tip, commensurate with service and normal wage.

However I do object at having to pay a gratuity simply to “make up” an employees pay to a reasonable wage, that should be the responsibility of the employer, in this case the Cruise Line.

Like most Australians we normally purchase a Cruise package which includes the Gratuities in the total cost, which somewhat placates our egalitarian senses, however if we receive exceptional service form our room attendant or any crewmember for that matter I will reward them with thanks and a tip.

However with the Gratuities being automatically added to your SeaPass, or account, irrespective of you being in receipt of “outstanding personal service” or not, seems to imply that it is simply a “top up” of substandard wages!

Just as, I might add, do I balk at the 18% or whatever it is “Service Charge” being added to your Bar Bill, given the price of most drinks appears to well and truly cover costs and provide a handsome profit, for what purpose or reason is the 18% added, and how much of it actually gets back to the bar staff, also if they were being paid a reasonable wage why would it be necessary?

The other thing I don’t understand, and especially as an old Marine Engineer, why don’t the Engine-room Staff deserve a tip for providing you with hot and cold running water, air-conditioning and power, after all they are service providers just like the wait staff?

Sorry to get on my soapbox but I simply think it is all a bit of a con job, why not simply put the price of the Cruise up by $150 per passenger and increase the crews wages by the amount they would normally get, and then publish the fact that “Passengers on our Ships do not pay Gratuities”.

Food for thought!

Regards, Bruce

Hi BJC,

Here in the uk, a lot of us have a similar view to you Aussies regarding tipping. We have booked a cruise to the Far East on the Azamara Quest for early next year ( this was booked during March of this year) and we have just received a letter from Azamara cruises to say that the gratuity charge will now be added automatically to our sea pass.We made it quite clear at time of booking that we wished to make our own arrangements on board regarding tips.This option was quite clearly printed in the Azamara brochure in their booking conditions.We are totally amazed that they can suddenly change the contract, as the matter of tips for crew are something within their control, unlike the rising cost of oil for which they might have to make a further fuel surcharge. My opinion is that Azamara has misled us in their contract and as such this makes them in breach of contract.We are in the process of taking this matter further through this countries Trading Standards department who hopefully will be able to establish if Azama Cruises have broken the law.

Kind Regards,

Mike

....and the $12.50 per person is automatically charged each day. I was a bit surprised at that as I assumed it would be handled in lump sum at the end to give one a chance to adjust if necessary.

I have no problem with the "suggested" gratuity and find the amount to be quite in line. However, I would like to know who is getting the money so I can decide whether to give some extra to some other extraordinary employee who does not happen to be in the tip pool.

The tip at Prime C and Acqualina is optional. You are given a card at the end of dinner along with your wine bill. The card suggests a $5 per person gratuity and leaves a space to fill in whatever number you like.

We dined extensively at the specialty restauraunts, enjoyed them immensley and left nice tips each night. However, we also enjoyed the service in Discoveries and wondered if the staff there shares in the specialty staff tips.

Overall we had a great time. One problem with the suggested tips is you always feel like giving a bit more as thanks.... At least that is how we felt.

Ken

I'm booked on Azamara Jan 3 2008 as well. I will remove the auto tips at the pursers desk and tip in cash appropriate for the service I receive. I feel if tips are not earned service will suffer.

If one tips in the specialty restaurant then you've double tipped because the auto tips include every night in the dining room. RCL and Celebrity only charge 15% for beverages so why 18% on Azamara? I for one wish they would do away with the whole tipping business and incorporate it into the cruise fare.

We recently cruised 18 days on the Journey (it was a very good experience), have cruised on more than 50 other ships or 11 cruise lines, and have also been very lucky to have visited Australia and a few other countries that do not believe in the culture of tips. I should mention that in Sydney, we once waited more than an hour to get our check, finally went to speak to the manager, and were told that our waiter had gone home for the night. Such is the incentive of no tips. But, as to Azamara, it is nearly impossible to do personal tipping as we have done on many other cruise lines. The problem is that in the dining rooms you will most likely not get the same waiters (or tables) so its difficult to reward waiters. As to the alternative restaurants (we dined 9 times out of 18 nights in the alternative restaurants) they do strongly suggest a $5 per person gratuity. I do agree with the complaints about 18% in the bars, but I suspect that the other cruise lines will soon charge 18 or even 20%. As to our 18 day cruise on the journey, we felt that the auto tips were a bargain given the excellent level of service. My solution would be that the aussies and the Brits simply pay an extra 20% on the cruise line fare and than not have to deal with tips. This sounds harsh, but its a realality. When you cruise on Seabourn and other high-end lines you will not even be allowed to tip, but you will pay about $1000 per person per day. Personally, I would rather pay Azamara $12.50 per day plus the decent cruise fares. This being said, it is outrageous that the cruise lines "low ball" their fares and than try to make their profit with tips, ridiculous mark-ups on wine and drinks, overpriced tours (I could write a book about this topic), art auctions designed to rip-off the unaware, skimming from the Bingo games, etc. Its hard to please everyone but this policy of "maximizing on-board revenue" does get a bit old.

Hank

Hank

Its a wee bit harsh to say because we are from the UK load our prices 20%. What I am very happy with (despite the views perhaps of some others) is for the recommended amount to be automatically added. As I said in my earlier post, we have always found reason to tip some people beyond the minimum. And for anyone who was "very average" given the overall cost of the cruise, why am I going to hassle about having that tip amount reduced. After all the total daily tip is less than the price of a martini and I am also not going to cut back on them either :) - but then I do not make "charity donations" in the casino

A

Fellow Cruisers,

The funny thing is that, what underpins all of our debate appears to be the same points, which in a roundabout way we seem to agree on, in that excellence in service should be rewarded, crews should be paid a reasonable and fair wage, additional costs like service charges, such as those normally added to your bar bill, should be included and be transparent, as should the fuel levies!

Any “Reward” for exceptional service should be one on one between the service provider and the recipient of the service, and made as a genuine expression of thanks.:)

As to the question does tipping promote good service, and no tipping promote mediocre, who knows what motivates a service provider to perform at 110%, for some it could be the $’s but if this only to top up their wage then to my way of thinking they do it for the wrong reason!

If the no tipping service, which is well renumerated, and is carried out at 110%, simply because of pride in their work then to me that is the best reason, however yes I will admit that the potential for a no tipping service to fall well below a reasonable standard is much greater than for one where a reasonable livelihood depends on the Tips!

It also can be said that poor service in both instances will have its own rewards, and rightfully so, in that it should result in the loss of a job.

Anyway I believe Cruises should be sold at an all inclusive Total Cost, which includes everything other than what could be called “discretional expenses” such as alcohol, casino, shore excursions, on board shopping, and personal services such as hairdressing, beauty treatment and the like, the rest should be all inclusive.

We in Australia are about to force, by legislation, Travel Agents and Airlines to quote this “all inclusive price” when advertising and quoting for Travel.

Typically what happens now is that a full page advertisement will have about 4 paragraphs in very small print down the bottom which says, to this $1,250 package deal quoted in large print above, add $560 Tax, $240 Airport service charges, $150 Fuel Surcharge and, and, and, until the actual cost of the $1,250 deal is now actually well over $2 Thousand!:mad:

So I’m all for Cruise Lines quoting an all inclusive total cost, well that’s my thoughts for what they are worth, happy cruising all.

Regards, Bruce

What items are you referring to to be inclusive that are not now?? You surely do not put your name on the contract before you know the cost of the Taxes, airfare, surcharge or whatever. Yes by all means make the agencies list these upfront, before you get to the final stages of reservations when suddenly you realize the trip will be $1000 more because of these items. Also add those gratuities in up front. But to those who complain about not being able to play lord or lady bountiful, and pass out the tips "in person" whereby receiving some sort of satisfaction from this, you can do this if requested at the beginning of the trip...BUT you know several people behind the scenes , that do things you never see but are serving you (the room service cooks..on Quest we saw the Kitchen where some of the items are prepared for you, right on your deck) housekeeping folks who wash the linens..etc. They never get any tips... because you don't see them but do affect your pleasant trip. The Crew on Azamara were so happy...truly happy and freindly...I'm firmly of a belief it's because of the prepaid gratuities, because ALL share in those tips!:)

Hi there Napi’s Mom,

Sorry but you seem to have missed the point, or did not understand what was previously posted, this debate started with the news that irrespective of what anyone had previously booked and paid for an additional $12.50 per person per day will automatically added to your SeaPass, also an $8.00 per person per day fuel supplement, add to this an 18% service charge for bar service, these are but some of the additional charges, and are not part of an all inclusive cost.

Secondly what I pointed out was that in some instances the additional costs such as tax’s and surcharges are only disclosed in the “Fine Print” and for some, having made a decision on the Headline Price, it’s only when they are presented with the total cost do they get a rude awaking.

As for your assertion that anyone has indicated that they “complain about not being able to play lord or lady bountiful, and pass out the tips "in person" whereby receiving some sort of satisfaction from this”, has never been the case and is far from the truth, the only reason for thanking someone person to person is that they know that this is a genuine showing of appreciation, this rubbish you referred to as lording over, or master servant relationship, is abhorrent.:mad:

With reference to your comment regarding the “behind the scenes staff”, if you had read one of my previous posts you would have noted that I had indicated that it was unfair that the Engineering Staff, as service providers in their own right, appeared not to be included in the distribution Gratuities, however on this I will stand corrected as I do not know just who is included.

I am sorry that you seem to have misinterpreted the posts to date, and I am happy to hear that the Azamara Crew are very happy, I just hope that it is more from their personal job satisfaction and a reasonably good wage, and not simply that they will divvy out the pirates plunder at the end of the cruise.

Happy Cruising Mum.:)

Regards, Bruce

My solution would be that the aussies and the Brits simply pay an extra 20% on the cruise line fare and than not have to deal with tips.

Hank

Actually, they already do - and it's not 20%, it's closer to 50%!! Prices on any given cruise are significantly higher if you purchase them through travel agents here rather than US travel agents. There are also quite a number of threads on CC about this topic. Since they are charging us more, perhaps they could put the extra funds towards paying their staff a decent wage?

Archived