New Catalog--The Yachting Collection

LaPaloma

Just received our cruise catalog for 2009-2010. They did a super job on the new book, but apparently the other shoe has dropped!!! I can't find a single photo of a couple in formal ware in the book. The new guidlines for Attire For Evening on page 122 say one week cruise one evening will be designated as Black Tie Optional--on two week cruises there maybe 2 or 3 evenings BTO. However no formal evenings on Caribbean cruises except Xmas and New Years cruises--and whatever the itinerary there's always the ease of casually elegant alternative. The only major change is the Caribbean bit but It appears long term the the move is underway to end our wonderful formal evenings. I guess the time had to come--to bad! Don

Although I enjoy dressing us for formal evenings, with the many restrictions airlines are now impossing on checked luggage the extra weight for all the formal attire may have many folks packing a lot lighter. Formal attire and all the trimmings does add up weight-wise.

We really enjoy the excitement of the first formal night aboard with dinner suits and silk bow-ties, and all the accoutrement. We enjoy the second formal night and tolerate the third.

After that they can be somewhat tiresome. The notion of being able to opt out without becoming a leper is somewhat appealing.

Steve.

Did you say NO formal nights on the Caribbean itineraries? What a disappointment. It's one of the things I look forward to most. I re-booked on Seabourn in December of this year. If someone could fill me in if this policy is in place immediately (or takes effect in 2009), I'd really appreciate it. It's going to make a difference for me.

Jane

Did you say NO formal nights on the Caribbean itineraries? What a disappointment. It's one of the things I look forward to most. I re-booked on Seabourn in December of this year. If someone could fill me in if this policy is in place immediately (or takes effect in 2009), I'd really appreciate it. It's going to make a difference for me.

Jane

Jane, why don't you call the club desk and ask. Don picked up on it in the new catalog. B U M M E R!icon9.gif Lola

Lola, good advice. I called and found out that Seabourn begins this policy November of this year.

I'm either going to have to get over it, re-think my itinerary or go back to Silversea if I want formal nights. Nothing is sure in life except change, huh! *lol*

Jane :o

West Coast Jane--lots of strange things happening--I guess the old saying--"Don't fix it if it aint broke!" just doesn't fly any more--we had a great time on our last Caribbean cruise, but saw some things that suprised us--we chalked it up to the fact the Legend was going into dry dock. Hope it isn't a move to "Carnivalize" our great little ships! Eric reported that he heard Odssey will have no formal nights--times are changing and just a little bit of class will probably be gone! We were big time sailers on Sea Goddess when they dropped dress code and all formal nights--we switched to Seabourn--now it may have to be Silversea! Don

We really like to dress up as we live on a farm and are in sweatpants all day everyday so formal nights are a real plus to us!! As for going to Silverseas, hell will freeze over first, been there done that and paid the price!! We do get the feeling that Seabourn is abandoning its diehard clientele and gunning for the younger set! Even though we are not that old yet!!!!!!!!:D :D It will be sad to see the death of formal nights but it is coming and there is no suitable alternative as yet.

Maybe we should have Cruise Critic cruises where we have our own "formal" nights Grannylor excused!

Kathryn

We really like to dress up as we live on a farm and are in sweatpants all day everyday so formal nights are a real plus to us!! As for going to Silverseas, hell will freeze over first, been there done that and paid the price!! We do get the feeling that Seabourn is abandoning its diehard clientele and gunning for the younger set! Even though we are not that old yet!!!!!!!!:D :D It will be sad to see the death of formal nights but it is coming and there is no suitable alternative as yet.

Maybe we should have Cruise Critic cruises where we have our own "formal" nights Grannylor excused!

Kathryn

We would sign up! We live in Tucson where extreme casual is the code. It gets very tiresome never seeing people at their best. What people don't realize..when the formal dress code gets dropped...you get a large number of people who go to the extreme of casual. We observed this on SG. I am glad that we have traveled and lived in the years that we have...because I do not see things improving. Lola

OK now we have the start of a CC FORMAL cruise, lets see how many others sign up!! It will be interesting to see how many are for and how many are against!

No one is right and no one is wrong, it is personal preference, so let us see what everyone thinks! At the very least we have the start of a CC cruise for 2010

Brian & Kathryn

Lola & Don

Matt & Marcella (did I get that right Matt??)

I am mostly a "lurker" on this board but we just returned from the Seabourn Spirit cruise from Singapore to Dubai which was a wonderful cruise that exceeded my inflated expectations. We had 4 formal nights and while everyone looked wonderful in their formal clothes, we had to take an extra suitcase to handle our formal wear, shoes, etc. I think the new policy is in reaction to the difficulties presented with long distance travel and limitations imposed on baggage.

I realize posters are concerned about what will happen to the Seabourn dress code. If the passengers follow the "elegant casual" suggestions, all will be well. We have also sailed on Oceania and "country club casual" prevails in the evening. I don't think the clothes are the only thing that make Seabourn evenings what they are.

CruizinSuzin

Kathryn

We'll go!!! I just bought a new tuxedo 6 months ago!! :D

Host Dan

OK now we have the start of a CC FORMAL cruise, lets see how many others sign up!! It will be interesting to see how many are for and how many are against!

No one is right and no one is wrong, it is personal preference, so let us see what everyone thinks! At the very least we have the start of a CC cruise for 2010

Brian & Kathryn,

Add me to the list as well! :D We may have to pool our resources and charter the vessel to ensure passengers will be formally attired. In the casualization of our society, I really enjoy getting dressed up and even wearing slacks, blazer, dress shirt and tie on the casual nights. I feel when you are dressed in your best, it does wonders to your psyche and attitude.

I send my best to you both and am very looking forward to another Legendary crossing this November!! :D

So what is your "Formal Cruise" total up to now? About 10 or 12? Wonder what the other 180 passengers would vote? :D Its all very well for you lot who can ship your luggage at a reasonable cost......not so for those of us who have to ship BOTH ways half way across the World! :( Even Business Class has very limited restrictions from here to anywhere....and it is getting worse as baggage handlers will not be allowed to lift over a certain weight ...therefore we will be allowed less bags and lighter weight! Maybe Granny should just buy a couple of bikinis!! Could always add sequins for formal nights!! :eek: :eek:

So what is your "Formal Cruise" total up to now? About 10 or 12? Wonder what the other 180 passengers would vote? :D Its all very well for you lot who can ship your luggage at a reasonable cost......not so for those of us who have to ship BOTH ways half way across the World! :( Even Business Class has very limited restrictions from here to anywhere....and it is getting worse as baggage handlers will not be allowed to lift over a certain weight ...therefore we will be allowed less bags and lighter weight! Maybe Granny should just buy a couple of bikinis!! Could always add sequins for formal nights!! :eek: :eek:

icon10.gif...now Granny..I am DEFINITELY going on THAT trip....whew...Don't know that I will let Don go..he may not be able to contain himself!icon7.gif

Has anyone checked out the revised Seabourn website...which matches the new brochure?

Attire for Daytime

Casual attire, including Bermuda style or walking shorts, is welcome in the Restaurant and the Veranda Café during breakfast and luncheon.

Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness center.

I see that Memphis Paul (and the rest of us rulebreakers) can now legally wear shorts in the Restaurant at lunchtime.;)

Life is grand.

johnny

Archived