New Catalog--The Yachting Collection

LaPaloma

I am personally thrilled about the change. We go to many formal events during the course of a year and dragging formalwear on a vacation is not what we like to do. We usually travel pre and post cruise and the extra luggage is also drag. Besides I think my hubby looks just as good in a sport jacket and tie! I don't expect to see anyone in jeans on a SB cruise regardless of the dress code. Even on casual nights I have always found my fellow passengers to be elegantly casual!!

Although both of us enjoy formal nights and will miss them if they disappear I also understand the luggage problem for those who don`t. We have just been informed that our 14 days cruise on the Spirit in June will only have two formal nights which I find neither pleases the pro or anti formal travellers.Packing diiner suits and cocktail dresses etc for use only once a week is rediculous and think there should be either two formals a week or none at all.

:D

Marciann and dalliowner,

I agree with both of you. That's why we opted out of formal on our B-to-B cruise on the Spirit - only one formal per week plus traveling before and after the cruise. Too much luggage for too little use. One can be "dressy" without the formal outfits. We wore the same outfits on board that we wore to elegant restaurants before and after the cruise.

M

Most women don't bring"gowns" anyway. Usually, one sees the ladies with their special jewelry added to the "informal" wear - pretty jackets and tops - and that makes it "formal." For the men, well, my husband bought a very nice dark blue pin striped suit which does perfectly well on formal nights. He looks pretty darn good to me! Where did you read that Odyssey will be informal?

Jean

So what is your "Formal Cruise" total up to now? About 10 or 12? Wonder what the other 180 passengers would vote? :D Its all very well for you lot who can ship your luggage at a reasonable cost......not so for those of us who have to ship BOTH ways half way across the World! Even Business Class has very limited restrictions from here to anywhere....and it is getting worse as baggage handlers will not be allowed to lift over a certain weight ...therefore we will be allowed less bags and lighter weight! Maybe Granny should just buy a couple of bikinis!! Could always add sequins for formal nights!!

Firstly I object to being called "you lot" :D we in the UK are a very different breed to the "lot" . In the year 2000 we did a 39 day cruise starting in Sydney Australia and ending in Fort Lauderdale, at that time we could afford no more than economy class and were limited to 23kg each. We made it, just!!! We had ALL our formal wear and I do wear gowns!! So it can be done!! It was not too difficult to prioritise. if you need help with your packing then just send for me:D I need another trip to Oz but this time I will only do first class:D :D

For the men, well, my husband bought a very nice dark blue pin striped suit which does perfectly well on formal nights. He looks pretty darn good to me! Jean

Well my husband looks pretty darn good naked but he would not attend formal evening that way!!!

Virtually all of the lines (except maybe Crystal) are changing in this regard. It's mainly the result of complaints about baggage restrictions (many can't/won't pay to ship luggage) plus an attempt to cater to the lifestyles of the next generation of cruisers. As others have noted, there is no restriction on going formal if you want to although I personally think a blazer, polo shirt and slacks should be sufficient for a man on vacation.

The policy, as stated by posters, does not mean that you can NOT dress up, it just means you do not have to. I personally do not want to schlep more than 1 bag and I cannot do the clothes, shoes, bags, etc if I do the formal night. I choose to dine in the Verandah on the formal evening and I am dressed as if I was going to a country club function. I have never seen anybody abusing the dress code on my sailings. The Seabourn guests are very savvy people and the know how to dress within the guidelines of the dress code.

Bon voyage

As far as the new catalogue, I was happy to see some new models! The old photos were getting to be a bit "dated". I was on the cruise when the models for the 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 were on board for the shoot, and I must say, they were not very popular passengers.

Host Dan

Maybe the new models are a metaphor for Seabourn's new model for cruising, a more casual, relaxed format. For me personally, I think the length of my cruise will determine whether I bring a tuxedo from now on. If I am on for 28 days or more and I know there will be 6 to 8 Black tie optional nights I would probably bring it. On a shorter 14 day trip a black suit, where the jacket can double as a blazer, will suffice. Which leaves me in a dilemma for my next cruise which is 22 days.

I was on the cruise when the models for the 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 were on board for the shoot, and I must say, they were not very popular passengers.

Host Dan

I heard they were very nice, but some passengers were rude to them and tried to treat them as second class citizens since they were "workers". Interesting perspectives.

We really like the formal nights as we don't get to 'dress up' at home and like that part of the cruise experience. Overall, on our last cruise we found that the dress codes were not enforced at all and that many passengers were more toward scruffy than casually elegant most of the time!

I heard they were very nice, but some passengers were rude to them and tried to treat them as second class citizens since they were "workers". Interesting perspectives.

I personally never had any interaction with them, but got feedback from some of the other passengers.

Host Dan

I recognize many of the crew in the catalog, but of course not all of them. Does anyone know if they also use some models to portray crew members as well? Just curious.

My guess is that the crew are so good looking, models aren't needed..! :D

Host Dan

Archived