Lost Luggage Question - will we ever see it again

Okay this is my first time posting ever - really enjoy all the useful tips - need some hopeful words/advice. My DD and her new husband(would that be DSIL?) just got off Enchantment of the Seas - Honeymoon trip. One of their pieces of luggage was missing - they dutifully filled out a report. What I am asking is has this ever happened to anyone and is it likely they will ever see that piece of luggage again?? They have insurance for any that think that is a solution but really that does not matter because what is in that bag is a red dress my DD wore on this honeymoon trip - which is the same red dress I wore on my honeymoon 29 years ago. I love that dress!! I want it back!! (Lesson to all never let special things out of your sight!!) And just for the record I am not upset at my DD rather heartbroken for her, if we never see it again she will carry the guilt for ever. Can't see how something can disappear going from a ship to a dock. Thanks to all in advance should I never figure out how to do this again - you are a special bunch!!

our friends luggage(just the ladies piece) did not make it from home to barcelona for 12 day cruise..It never did catch up..It finally made it back home 6 monthes later(after insurance paid off).It had been in the pre cruise hotel (booked by celebrity)storage room since prior to the cruise..Yes we chked with concierge at hotel and the cruise line rep repeatedly for the 3 day we spent their prior to leaving on the cruise and returned for 1 day post to the same hotel--again with many inquiries

I have never had this happen to me, but I think your chances are fairly good. As you said going from ship to dock is minuscule as compared to airline baggage handling. I can think of three scenerios that may have happened...

1. Luggage left on a cart or a bag storage area. In that case it may have been mixed up with the luggage from the passengers arriving for the cruise after you daughters/son in law cruise. In that case, it may be taking another cruise, but I think your chance of getting it back is excellent

2. Some other passenger grabbed the bag by mistake when leaving the terminal after the cruise. If this other passenger flew home after the cruise they may not realize until they get home they have the wrong bag. In this case, they may not realize that they made a mistake and not the airline. But I think your chances are still good in getting it returned eventually.

3. It was pilfered. These is the least likely, but has the least chance on getting it back.

I am embarking on the Enchantment on Monday. If I see a luggage bag wearing a red dress I will be sure to detain it until the appropriate RCCL crew members are able to arrive to confiscate it. :)

We always put identification (name) and a copy of our itinerary inside checked luggage. Fortunately we have never had any go astray, but if there is no id inside (or outside), chances are slimmer for recovery.

First thanks to gatour - your scenarios made things look more hopeful than not!! Anyway it turned out to be the second scenario - someone took it by mistake and fortunately was traveling Southwest - our first airline of choice - a wonderful SW person in Nashville where the bag ended up decided to call my daughter first - the end of the story is that they put it on a flight to Orlando where my daughter and her husband can pick it up in plenty of time to take the important items out (red dress) before re-checking for their flight here where they will pick up their dear dog (what is the acronym for that?) before heading home tomorrow!! We are happy and elated and thrilled.

• 2 weeks later...

When things like this happen we like to say they are memories. "Remember that red dress that we wore on our honeymoons...oh, yeah and then the luggage was misplaced--we had such an awesome time on that trip, blah, blah, blah..." I am glad you got your luggage back!!!

Katie

Glad you got it back!

A funny thing happened to us...Not regarding lost luggage, but about funny things happening to our bags in transit.

We were waiting for our luggage at the carousel and we saw a suitcase with the zipper broken, with lots of various clothing hanging out of it. I remarked to DH that I LOVED the color (turquoise) of that dress. As the bag got closer, we noticed a white dinner jacket hanging out of the bag as well. :eek: Guess whose bag it was? :cool:

The airline rep took us into a room that was filled with unclaimed empty bags that he said had been there for many months, and he allowed us to choose a replacement.

It was an old one, but at least the zipper worked and we were able to continue on to the ship. :)

Glad you got it back!

A funny thing happened to us...Not regarding lost luggage, but about funny things happening to our bags in transit.

We were waiting for our luggage at the carousel and we saw a suitcase with the zipper broken, with lots of various clothing hanging out of it. I remarked to DH that I LOVED the color (turquoise) of that dress. As the bag got closer, we noticed a white dinner jacket hanging out of the bag as well. :eek: Guess whose bag it was?

The airline rep took us into a room that was filled with unclaimed empty bags that he said had been there for many months, and he allowed us to choose a replacement.

It was an old one, but at least the zipper worked and we were able to continue on to the ship. :)

Gee, when that happened to us, and SW shredded the zipper of one of our bags, all they offered us was a roll of packing tape! :eek: :( :rolleyes: :mad:

Gee, when that happened to us, and SW shredded the zipper of one of our bags, all they offered us was a roll of packing tape! :eek: :( :rolleyes: :mad:

Hmm..SW put a three or four inch gash in a bag...and gave me a brand, spankin' new one on the spot in MDW. Had to repack my stuff and give them the old bag!

Yet another reason for carrying duct tape! :D I did actually have to use it once for that same purpose. You never know when a luggage zipper will give out.

I also make sure I put identification in the suitcase just in case the luggage tag gets ripped off. They also make brightly colored tape now that you can mark your bag with.

Archived