So what does everyone think about the new menus?

Fblack

They rolled out the new menus on our Constellation TA. It was a learning experience for everyone the first few days.

The menu is definitely "lighter", with less sauces and seasonings than the old Celebrity menu. I know of several people who felt everything was too bland. Also portions were smaller. The size of some items was almost laughable. Salads, especially Caesar salads came on tiny plates. Our table started to order large salads after day two. There were very few vegetables on the dinner plates as well. Many people started ordering extra plates of vegetables.

As for the taste and preparation, it was generally very good in my opinion. They had a nice selection each night and a separate vegetarian menu. Desserts and breads were good. All in all, we were happy with the new menu.

We had no complaints on our recent TA on Summit. In fact, hubby and I liked the new menus better than the old ones. The food, with rare exception, was wonderful. Service, as always, was superb.

I really enjoyed the food on Summit (we were on the same sailing as Bubbie). And because they have made the serving sizes reasonable, I only gained 1.8 lbs in 12 days. That is a record! I never felt that I was "shortchanged" in serving size, and left food many evenings. I didn't find anything bland, but then I'm not too adventurous. :o

I really enjoy seeing the desserts before I order. I liked the presentation on a tray. I wish they'd bring that back.

On our last cruise we were told that they don't use the tray anymore because the desserts spoil?? I think not.

What do you think?

I really enjoy seeing the desserts before I order. I liked the presentation on a tray. I wish they'd bring that back.

On our last cruise we were told that they don't use the tray anymore because the desserts spoil?? I think not.

What do you think?

On the Summit T/A a month ago they did present the desserts on the large tray. Perhaps this depends on the ship?

As to whether or not the desserts spoil, it is common practice for restaurants to place a single "perfect" dessert on the presentation tray and use it all evening. That piece is never served to customers - it's for advertisement only. I love it when you go to a diner and they show you a plastic dessert that looks perfect, but it's not real. :D

I am glad they have stopped showing and explaining what the desserts. I had never seen this done until I went on a RCCL ship in 1997.

I think that most people are capable of reading a menu and understanding what is in a dessert. If they don't then any waiter will be only too happy to help them with this.

After all (other than a sweet trolley which may be brought to the table in a few establishments) when would they bring the desserts be brought to a table in any restaurant.

Sue

So what is on the menu's now? Is it still a meat, chicken, fish, pasta, and vegetarian selection? Are the selections creative? Any lamb still offered? Steak? Cheese course?

I do enjoy seeing the desserts, so my vote still goes for the tray.:)

On the Constellation last week they presented the desserts on a tray. they had bread sticks every night in the basket on the table. And the Martini Bar had bread sticks with salt each night too before dinner.

They had a very good rack of lamb one night.

Fblack - all sounds good to me. Smaller portions is OK as I usually end up eating too much anyways. Seems to me the vegetable servings have always been very skimpy if any at all. We've always asked for a side of steamed vegetables with dinner, and ask the waiter to please try and bring them every night whether we remember to ask or not. They bring a dinner plate full and my wife and I share it.

We enjoyed the new menu on our recent British Isles cruise on Constellation. Our waiter Yaser always provided a plate of extra vegetables if we wanted. He also explained and displayed the desserts on a tray, suggesting the best alternatives.

Frankly we thought the food was as good as ever.

Glad to hear the portions are smaller also. I will just order a second if I need to.

I do like the desert presentation! Yes I know what most things are, but sometimes I do not and even if I do, the presentation many times helps in making a last minute change to something I might not have ordered 'sight unseen'

I thought the new menu had been out for a few years. Anyway on our recent Summit cruise the food was fabulous as always. They had added a few extra meals to the "always available" Steak, Chicken, Salmon, Caeser Salad, shrimp Cocktail. THey had Lamb chops and also a Lamb Shank. The portions are not huge...but you usually don't eat a 5 course meal every night at home!

The breadsticks were on the table with the bread basket. What I do miss are those sweet Rolls with the shiney tops. Breadsticks were also in the Martini bar....they are in fun shapes.

The desserts still come on a tray.

They also had Pasta and Pizza most of the day available. One thing I did miss this past cruise is the waiters carrying your trays in the buffet line. I have small kids and this was always helpful to me. Instead they have waiters trying to sell you bottled water. I think that is a Royal Carribean thing. I WANT MY SERVICE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was a little disappointed in the concieres service from our stateroom attendant. We got better service in a regular cabin prior. i know that is just luck of the draw...but the service should be better since you are paying extra...that is just my opinion!

I like seeing the desserts ... yum ... I like eating them even more! It makes me feel special to have the little "dessert" talk ... plus, I really DO get a better idea of what I want. Sometimes their menu descriptions are a bit odd ....:)

New menu....certainly smaller appetizer portions...almost a taster more than an appetizer. four shrimp to a shrimp cocktail...is that smaller? just order two. I generally ordered two appetizers every night after the first.

The main dishes were large enough...the lobster tails were much larger last week on the constellation. Food highlights were the lobster (moist, meaty, not overcooked), veal chop (tender, pink, outstanding sauce), Filet on the menu one night (medium rare, tender, nice sauce) and the rack of lamb was also wonderful. These are MUST ORDER items....they are excellent.

Soups are dull...at least to someone like me who prefers something in the soup rather than just a consomme/cream soup....oh well, it's a course I skipped almost every night.

The salads seemed normal sized and, at my request, my caeser salad was always served with anchovies without any fuss

There was always a dessert tray with three options. Baked Alaska parade is still, unfortunately, part of the dining experience. The "maitre d'e" prepared banana's foster were not outstanding...maybe he shouldn't have tried to cook.

Overall....best food I've had on any celebrity ship.....is this the new menu..or does the kitchen just prepare food better on the Constellation. Your guess is as good as mine.....

I too was on the op's TA and we enjoyed the new menus. I do second ghstudio's recommendations, all of these were quite good. My waiter was apprehensive about my pasta choice one night- it was a seafood pasta, the old menu had squid-ink pasta, and the new iteration was one of my favorite meals all trip long. He was really worried, and so relived when I told him how good it was, it was touching.

I was very happy with the new menus- hope you are too!

This thread is making me hungry:D

What does T/A stand for? Trans Atlantic :confused:

I will be on a group Alaska land/sea cruise this September. My wife is a Cruise tavel agent for Cruises Inc.

My first post by the way.

Tom

We had the new menus on the Infinity a couple of weeks ago. We felt the food was wonderful. The only exception was the short ribs I had for dinner one night, although the flavor was there, the piece I had was over half fat. One thing we did find was even though we were on a 15 day cruise, we never had a repeat of a menu. Yes the breadsticks were still there, and I know they did serve escargot one or two nights. Over all we thought the food was actually better than before.:o

Archived