Chef's Table Review on CB 5/4 sailing

Ldyandrea

I hope it's offered on the Golden Princess in November. I certainly want to sign up for this. My DIL will be so jealous if we get to try it. She is the fancy cook in the family and when we were on the Voyager of the Seas in April they didn't even offer a galley tour. She was so disappointed. I would give the cookbook to her for Christmas!

So does anyone ever get turned down to do this? If there are only so many spots to fill? We definitely will do this if given the chance. I saw this video and it made up any second thoughts I had about doing it...

I guess we will just have to get hold of the Maitre D as soon as we board the Crown Princess. :)

I don't think it's a question of getting turnned down, It's more of an issue of not getting picked due to the increased popularity. Book as early as you can......

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

This sounds like a wonderful experience. Is the menu the same on each sailing. Just wondering since I don't eat meat and wonder if there are any "substitutions."

Thanks ...

ssbeagle... the Chef's Table was offered on the Golden in March and as others have said, it was truly a wonderful experience.

babba... DH doesn't eat meat but does it fish. We didn't mention this when we met with the Maitre 'd as I thought it might eliminate us. It actually wasn't a problem, there was more than enough food offered that didn't contain meat or chicken... the lobster rissoto was definitely a meal in itself! Still, when DH didn't partake in the flambe meat entree, the Chef asked if anything was wrong. When he heard that DH didn't eat meat/chicken but ate fish, he ran off into the kitchen and a few minutes later brought out, what DH described as the best halibut he ever tasted. But, as I said previously, even without the halibut, DH would have had more than enough food to eat.

My favorite part of the review were the descriptions! Do the cookbooks call for "blobs" too? LOL That gave me such a chuckle. Thank you! Loved it.

I would kill for some blobs right about now! I hope we have a Chef's Table on our cruise. Sounds like so much fun.

Thanks for the review.

• 1 year later...

You go to the desk outside Sabatini's where they take the reservations for the Specialty restaurants if that is where they hold them on your ship. They like to have 10 to 12. We had only 8 people request the Chef's table and it was a last minute decision to hold it since we didn't have enough. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The wines were exceptional and worth the price alone.

You go to the desk outside Sabatini's where they take the reservations for the Specialty restaurants if that is where they hold them on your ship. They like to have 10 to 12. We had only 8 people request the Chef's table and it was a last minute decision to hold it since we didn't have enough. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The wines were exceptional and worth the price alone.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes it is the same cookbook....we now own three copies!!!!!

I really want to do the Chef's table on the Island over Christmas. If DH and I both sign up do we both get a copy of the same cookbook? Is there more than one that we could trade for?

Susan

Solo participants also receive one.

Part of me is saying that it's not fair if each solo person receives a cook book but a couple only receives one for the two of them

But it's not a deal breaker for me. I can alawyas get DH to ask for his own and see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review of the Chef's table. We're going on the Grand Princess Dec. 21/09 and hopefully they have the chef's table. Anyone else on the holiday cruise?

What are the requirements you mentioned and do they have a chef's table every night on the cruise?

Thanks,

We were at Chef's Table on our April 09 Golden Princess cruise to Hawaii. Except for a few minor things like the sorbet flavor, it sounds like the same menu. It was wonderful! The desert wine is from Chile if I recall correctly. It is on the ship's wine list and is in a small bottle (name begins with an "E"), as we had several more bottles of it throughout the cruise.

Regarding the lobster risotto, you might try requesting the recipe on the Princess Cruises Facebook site. For a while, they had a section on there where you could ask for a recipe and they posted it on Facebook. I actually made my first risotto a few days ago, following the recipe on the pasta package. I added shrimp, sauteed mushrooms and fresh asparagus to mine, with, of course, about 10 times more freshly shredded parmesan than the recipe called for! It was amazingly good, especially considering that I am a pretty pathetic cook! My DH said that it rivaled the risotto served at Chef's Table. I only say this to let you know that 1) MIRACLES DO HAPPEN! and 2) I think the recipe could be pretty easily replicated by just adding cooked lobster and asparagus to the basic risotto recipe.

Chef's Table is a Must-Do!

We did this 3 weeks ago and know what the Merlot was and the Mumms, but can anyone find out what the dessert wine was. It was fantasic???

Unless they have changed it since last year, the dessert wine is the Errazuriz Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc. It is delicious -- I had already made its acquaintance as they offer it by the glass (as well as by the bottle) on board with dessert in the MDR.

Unless they have changed it since last year, the dessert wine is the Errazuriz Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc. It is delicious -- I had already made its acquaintance as they offer it by the glass (as well as by the bottle) on board with dessert in the MDR.

That's the wine....it is fabulous! Thanks for remembering the name!

Archived