Chef's Table Review on CB 5/4 sailing

Ldyandrea

After having heard so many wonderful things about the Chef's Table experience, myself and my friend were very excited to do this. We made certain we were right there at the Palm Dining room when they began taking reservations at 1pm, and got our names submitted for consideration. We were asked to come back to meet with the Maitre d' the next morning, and he discussed the requirements and what to expect of the evening. Our Chef's Table dinner was to be on Tuesday night of the sailing, and we gathered in the main bar area on Plaza deck as instructed to wait for the Maitre d'. He arrived and we followed him into the dining room, walking past a line of waiting diners (and eliciting some cranky comments I think) and straight into the galley where we were given our snazzy lab coats, and led to wash our hands.

The Maitre d', the head of food and beverage service, and the chef took us on a tour of the galley, which was amazingly clean and well-organized. After we were told that many of the cooking crew rarely get to see any of the passengers they work so hard for, I made a point of smiling and waving at all of them as we passed by.

We then were brought to a corner of the galley where we were served champagne, and the Chef brought out tray after tray of amazing appetizers. I don't have the menu with me right now, and will post it later on, but here's what I recall:

- Crab, avacado, and mango "margarita" served in a martini glass (Yum!)

- Carpaccio (sp?) which was a piece of endive with blobs of ginger, tuna, and wasabi mayo

- Slice of roasted potato with a blob of sour cream, and topped with caviar

- Pastry shell filled with cheese (can't recall what kind) and topped with a truffle and a piece of heirloom tomato

Then we were taken to our table out in the dining room, and served a wonderful merlot wine, along with our first course of dinner, which was my favorite! A lobster risotto that was absolutely to die for! Sadly, I couldn't eat the whole thing, since I had already eaten appetizers, and knew there was still more food coming! :eek: I must, must, MUST get the recipe for this dish, or I may never know peace again.

Next came the Bloody Mary Sorbet, and the Chef came around with the bottle of Grey Goose vodka to pour over it before we ate. All I can say about this was WOW! I have never been a bloody mary fan, but this was amazing!

I believe that next was the meat on the medieval spiked rods, which was set to flaming for our entertainment. The beef, pork, and veal were served with some lovely mashed potatoes, and various sauces for each. By this time, I think everyone was slowing down and getting full, and still we weren't done. Wine glasses kept getting re-filled, and I had to slow down on that myself.

Dessert was delicious and gorgeous! A plate of lovely chocolate leaves, almond cookie, shortbread butterfly, a wonton with apple compote, and a chocolate stick. This was served with a small glass of desert wine that was very sweet indeed, and tasted of apricots and pears to me.

We had our picture taken just before dessert, were given a cookbook siogned by the Chef, and even a handwritten copy of the menu. Much to my surprise, they must have put a rush on the picture development, because they were brought back and given to us before we left the table!

The whole experience was well worth the $75 fee. I honestly can't remember ever enjoying a meal more, and my only problem is that I just hope I can find the recipe for that lobster risotto! :D

If anyone has questions, please ask, and I'll do my best.

Was on the Chef's table as well for the cruise and I could not agree more with what the OP had wrote, it was truly a culinary experience and it was the highlight of our cruise. We have found many interesting recipes from the book that we are going to try. The Executive chef was fantastic and we enjoyed talking with him, the staff, service and food were flawless.

We were looking forward to the Chef's table and Sabatini's and both exceeded our expectations.

Shoot it seems that every ship that I am on or going to be on does not have the Chefs Table. I guess one of these days I will get lucky. Glad it was a great experience for you. I am dying to try the Chefs Table.

Marilyn

We .... were given a cookbook siogned by the Chef, and even a handwritten copy of the menu.

Thanks for all the wonderful info on your Chef's Table experience.! Sure makes me want to do it on our 12/20/08 Emerald cruise.

I have purchased 2 cookbooks on past cruises...different covers but contents were the same. I'm surprised the cookbook was included in the $75 Chef's Table fee. I think I paid $25 for each cookbook so with that in mind the Chef's Table fee would be only $50 PLUS with the wine you were served this is sounding like a real deal for sure and not to be missed.

Is the cookbook you received titled "Courses A cullinary Journey" with 223 pages and beautiful color pictures? I love this cookbook--it's one of my favorites in my collection.

Also...the handwritten copy of the menu sounds really neat too. Are you going to frame it?

BTW...the Bloody Mary Sorbet with the Grey Goose Vodka poured over it sounds so yummy.

Thanks for all the wonderful info on your Chef's Table experience.! Sure makes me want to do it on our 12/20/08 Emerald cruise.

I have purchased 2 cookbooks on past cruises...different covers but contents were the same. I'm surprised the cookbook was included in the $75 Chef's Table fee. I think I paid $25 for each cookbook so with that in mind the Chef's Table fee would be only $50 PLUS with the wine you were served this is sounding like a real deal for sure and not to be missed.

Is the cookbook you received titled "Courses A cullinary Journey" with 223 pages and beautiful color pictures? I love this cookbook--it's one of my favorites in my collection.

Also...the handwritten copy of the menu sounds really neat too. Are you going to frame it?

BTW...the Bloody Mary Sorbet with the Grey Goose Vodka poured over it sounds so yummy.

That was the name of the book and your right the book is great. I cannot begin to tell you how good the bloody mary sorbet was but I will tell you I felt that way about everything that was offered that evening, it trully was a culinay experience for the senses.

We were also at the Chef's table on the 5/4 Caribbean Princess cruise and it was the highlight! (Hi Dale & Andrea) From the Mumm's champagne being poured in the galley, wonderful canapes, bloody mary sorbet (frozen V8 & tomato juice scooped with a melon baller and put in a martini glass and then splashed with Vodka at the table!) . The lobster risotto was wonderful and the presentation of the meat on medieval spikes was quite a sight. The merlot was a Ferrari-Carano and recommended by the maitre d. The Executive Chef, Antonio, was so charming and personable. Truly a memorable night.: Lynn & Bill

I believe that was the cookbook in question. First thing I did was see if the lobster risotto was in it, but it wasn't. :(

As for the menu, I'll likely scan it and post it shortly. I'm not one for spending oodles of money at restaurants, but $75 for that evening was an amazing value!

The Bloody Mary Sorbet was wonderful! :D

Sounds like a wonderful evening, let us know if the recipe is in the book:D :D

That was the first thing I looked for, but unfortunately it's not. :(

I'm going to see if I can send an email and get it. That dish was the tastiest thing ever! :p

What requirements were there??:confused:

Just that you don't have any gastro-intestinal or upper-respitory illnesses, you need to wear clean clothes, and ladies should wear closed-toe shoes. These requirements are because you're taken on a tour of the galley and they can't risk any kind of infection being possibly passed on. The closed-toe shoe requirement is for your own protection while in the galley, though it wasn't a huge deal if you didn't have any apparently.

That was it! :)

Thank you for the review. I was on the Explorer of the Seas last month and went to the Savor Luncheon, which sounds very similar. It was a great experience, too, however the Explorer is the only ship in the RCI fleet that is currently doing this! The price was only $55 and included the cookbook, galley tour and a 5 course luncheon with a Margarita, both red and white wine and champagne. As you said, well worth the cost, although I wouldn't be surprised if the price is raised more towards the $75. They are looking at expanding to other ships in the future. Now that I know it's on the CB I will be looking for it next year when we are on that ship!:)

I take it that the Chef's Table is done at dinner and not lunch time?

• 4 weeks later...
I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Didn't you love the comments when you walked straight past the line of anytime diners? :D

*snort* Yes, that was rather amusing. However, it was obvious we weren't "sneaking" in, since we had the Maitre d' (a rather tall formidable man) leading us like ducklings into the galley. :)

Yes it is the same cookbook....we now own three copies!!!!!

Thanks for the great review - we are hoping that by the time we take our Mexican Riviera cruise in April 09 on the Sapphire they will be offering the chef's table on that ship - sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks so much for the wonderful review. We are on the Emerald T/A in Oct and must try the Chef's Table. It's become so popular that we have a fellow CC'er who's doing a b2b (our cruise being the second leg) who will try and arange for our group to get on the list.....

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

So does anyone ever get turned down to do this? If there are only so many spots to fill? We definitely will do this if given the chance. I saw this video and it made up any second thoughts I had about doing it...

I guess we will just have to get hold of the Maitre D as soon as we board the Crown Princess. :)

Archived