Using Verizon Wireless While Cruising

IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS VERIZON WIRELESS, HAVE YOU USED YOUR CELL PHONE ON THE SHIP OR IN THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN.

IF YOU HAVE, ARE THERE EXTRA FEES FOR USING YOUR PHONE.

I KEEP GETTING DIFFERENT ANSWERS FROM VERIZON. THANKS:confused:

All calls from the ship using Verizon will be $2.49 PM. Using your phone from the islands, there will be various rates.

Here's the link to the website with rates. http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

Also be sure to have "I Dial", or international dialing capabilities loaded to your phone prior to leaving. It's free.

You won't need this in: Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Guam, Jamaica, and the United States Virgin Islands, but you will if you travel anywhere else.

Last but not least, your Verizon phone may or may not be capable of making international calls. As noted by lovtotrvl, your best way of answering this question is to call Verizon, and have your phone model and calling plan/monthly statement with you.

:cool: Verizon has cell towers in San Juan and St. Thomas. They are US territories so you should be able to call with no problem. I was in the Eastern Caribbean a few years ago and my Verizon phone worked in both places with no charges. Ask Verizon who they share agreements with in Nassau, St. Martin, and any other islands. Most likely the only places you will be able to make call without additonal charges will be San Juan and St. Thomas

Cheers

I was in St. Thomas in 2006 and my Verizon phone worked great while we were there, in fact we had went on a tour and was just getting out of the tour van and my phone started ringing, for a second I was shocked. Later on that evening as we were sailing away, I called my daughter again, because I didn't know when I would be able to call her again. I was not charged anything. I know that I talked to her in St. Maarten and Nassau, don't remember who called who, she's on my plan so it doesn't cost anything extra when we talked. I do remember calling Verizon before we left to see if it was going to cost extra, and I was told to dial some numbers before we set sail, I'm assuming like one of the previous poster's mentioned for international calling.

Verizon Wireless's international customer care phone number is 1-800-711 8300. They are the people who will be able to answer your questions.

Regular customer care or 611 is useless when it comes to answering international questions. I have been told that Verizon didn't even have international phones or work outside the U.S. When I told the one yes they did. She informed me she had been working for Verizon for years and they HAD NEVER had such a service. IDIOT!

We were never able to get a signal once out of sight of Miami! So, we just turned the phone off--no chance then of roaming charges from incoming calls! The ship's e-mail was the cheapest way to touch base at home.

Even if you get the international package, it's still MUCH more expensive than dialing at home!

One thing I'd like to add. This applies to Verizon customers but not all cell companies are like this, so don't assume yours is until you check.

If you want to leave your phone on for text messaging (if you are with a group it's an easy, reasonably priced way to stay in touch) but don't want to pay hefty usage charges if someone calls you; let your voice mail pick up. You are not charged by Verizon if someone calls your phone and leaves a message. You are only charged if you answer the call or call to retrieve the voice mail. So you can leave your phone on to receive calls, see who is calling, and decide if you want to answer or let voice mail get the call. It's great cause you can leave your phone on in case of an emergency at home, but not get all those hefty charges if you choose not to answer.

Archived