Hotel Style Beds????

GrannyLala

DH & I are booked on the Viking Sky, and I keep reading on the boards that Viking Boats have pullman style beds. I am somewhat confused since Viking advertises that the Sky has hotel style beds. Has someone been on that boat and know for sure which type they have? Also, this may sound a bit ignorant, but someone please tell me the difference!:)

We had a cabin on Middle Deck on the Viking Sky, and the bed was a conventional bed, I guess "hotel style". It was similar to beds we have had on ocean cruises. Other cabins on the Viking Sky may have had pullman-style but not on the middle-deck.

Hotel style bed is what you normally find in hotels and at home. Also what more of the ocean cruise lines are now using.

Pullman or day bed: Pullman usually folds down from the side of the wall.

A day bed is usually more of a sofa bed.

As Viking refurbishes river vessels, VR is increasing the size of the cabin, putting in baths with enclosed showers and hotel style bedding. Because the size of the cabins are increased, the number of cabins on the vessel is reduced.

There may still be a difference between European style bedding and American style bedding.

You need to get some brochures and study the cabin size, layouts, and pictures.

Remember if a lower grade cabin is not pictured, do not assume that it has the same type of bedding and/or windows as the higher cabin grades.

Good Searching.

MSEm

DH & I are booked on the Viking Sky, and I keep reading on the boards that Viking Boats have pullman style beds. I am somewhat confused since Viking advertises that the Sky has hotel style beds. Has someone been on that boat and know for sure which type they have? Also, this may sound a bit ignorant, but someone please tell me the difference!:)

Not sure if the Viking Sky is the same as the Century Sky, but if so, we cruised last year with Viking, on the Viking Century Sun and had hotel style beds that were delightfully comfortable ! (As was everything we experienced).

Should you be interested, go to the CC board below for specific info on Viking and China.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=252201

I and others have posted journals, photos and such.

Enjoy

Jerry

GrannyLala,

If this is the ship you're on, here are details you might find of interest:

http://www.yangtzecruiseships.com/vikingcenturyskycruise/overview.htm

Jerry

The Viking River Sky is in Europe.

The Viking River CENTURY Sky or CENTURY Sun are the vessels build for VR in China.

Check brochure and picutres for the cabin type for the type of bed on the

VR Sky.

MSEm

Hi,

There is a lot of confusion on the configuaration of the beds on Viking ships. If your cabin has "hotel beds", the beds can be configured as a queen bed or individual twins. If your cabin has "pullman" or "sofa" beds, the beds are twin and cannot be joined. You merely have to look at the Viking website, select the cruise you are researching, select the "stateroom" category, choose the deck and cabin category, and look at the description.

Good luck.

Here is a link to the descriptions (with pictures) of all room types on the Viking Century Sky: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/us/cruises/IJOC/08CH-VADCW/CSK/decks.aspx

As you will see by clicking on all the deck plans, all the rooms have hotel type beds in different configurations.

Hope you have a wonderful trip--we'll be traveling with Uniworld in China in late September, early October of this year. Hope to compare notes of our trips!

Here is a link to the descriptions (with pictures) of all room types on the Viking Century Sky: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/us/cruises/IJOC/08CH-VADCW/CSK/decks.aspx

As you will see by clicking on all the deck plans, all the rooms have hotel type beds in different configurations.

Hope you have a wonderful trip--we'll be traveling with Uniworld in China in late September, early October of this year. Hope to compare notes of our trips!

pjtraveler...

I made the same mistake... They were looking for info. on the Viking Sky which sails Europe.

I found the descriptions and posted the link (below) earlier this afternoon.

http://www.cruisecheap.com/viking-ri...staterooms.asp

Jerry

:) :) Here is the Viking page for the Viking Sky that sails in Europe: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/us/cruises/GET/08AMSBUD14/VSK/decks.aspx

You can click on the deck (upper, middle, main) and then on an individual room (or different colors of the rooms) and see a layout and photo. Looks like all the beds are hotel style!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my question. It gets confusing when you read the boards and so many say this and that, and then the cruise company's website says something totally different, you really don't know what to believe. I know that a company will not say something to make themselves look bad, and that there are also so many people out there who are never satisfied with anything.

The more I read on some days the more I questioned if we had made a mistake by booking with Viking, but I know that we intend to have a good time and not pick everything apart. So, with that said thank you again, and someone please go with us on this trip, as much as we love all of the attention I would rather have a few people to share a wonderful time with.:D

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that some people are never satisfied with anything. I wouldn't worry about the beds on Viking ships. I haven't cruised the Sky, but just recently returned from a trip on Viking Neptune. The beds were absolutely FINE - although I believe they put two twins together, so it's a little bit different than sleeping in a double or queen bed where there's just one big bed with no separation. That arrangement (2 twins together) is very common in Europe, we found, as well as other cruise ships. Anyway, you'll have a great sleep - and a great cruise! (I wish I could join you - but the dogs and the wallet are holding us on the shore for a while....) By the way, I know reading the boards is a great way of learning stuff, but I have to admit that the Viking customer service staff is pretty accessible and knowledgeable (unlike the staff of some other cruise lines, where it's hard to get a rep to answer questions), so if you have any other questions, I wouldn't hesitate to call them.

• 2 years later...
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my question. It gets confusing when you read the boards and so many say this and that, and then the cruise company's website says something totally different, you really don't know what to believe. I know that a company will not say something to make themselves look bad, and that there are also so many people out there who are never satisfied with anything.

The more I read on some days the more I questioned if we had made a mistake by booking with Viking, but I know that we intend to have a good time and not pick everything apart. So, with that said thank you again, and someone please go with us on this trip, as much as we love all of the attention I would rather have a few people to share a wonderful time with.:D

Obligations get in the way or would join you in a heartbeat. Perhaps you can report upon your return and let us share the experience.

If we listened to everything written on this board we would have missed out on two wonderful cruises with Viking. More specifically, sometimes people write comments about a cruise line that do not reflect differences between ships or, even worse, comment about cruise lines without personal experience.

Sit back and enjoy the anticipation.

Archived