Sanctuary Size?

Av8tor

I see that on the Crown class ships the Sanctuary is on the forward portion of the Sports deck, but the diagrams aren't very definitive as to its exact size. Does the Sanctuary occupies the entire deck area above and surrounding the Lotus pool, or is it just the section of that deck that is forward of the Lotus pool?

On the Grand ships I like lounging and sunning on the the sports deck just aft of the Lotus pool and was wondering if I'd have to pay $20/day on the Ruby to utilize that area...:confused:

Thanks

I see that on the Crown class ships the Sanctuary is on the forward portion of the Sports deck, but the diagrams aren't very definitive as to its exact size. Does the Sanctuary occupies the entire deck area above and surrounding the Lotus pool, or is it just the section of that deck that is forward of the Lotus pool?

On the Grand ships I like lounging and sunning on the the sports deck just aft of the Lotus pool and was wondering if I'd have to pay $20/day on the Ruby to utilize that area...:confused:

Thanks

Av8tor,

Yes, I think the best way to describe The Sanctuary is that it "surrounds" the Lotus pool area - one deck above. The entrance is directly above the steps to the Lotus pool itself and it spreads out on either side (where the loungers are in the sun) and under the dome itself. Here's a photo from the Crown:

1043816578_69172cef6a.jpg?v=0

And, just to be clear, the loungers that you see around the pool in crusdiva's photos are not part of the Sanctuary. They are available for anyone using the the pool. As she said, the Sanctuary is the area one deck above the pool.

I

Thanks

On the Emerald, there is an area with loungers outside of the sanctuary. Since the Ruby will be the same, you will not have to pay if all you want is to lounge and suntan in that area.:D

Btw: During the course of our 16 day cruise, I checked out the Sanstuary 3 times and there was never even one person using it. On one occasion, the 2 massage tents were in use and that's about it.

We were on the Emerald in Nov/Dec for 10 days last year, and I had asked about the Sanctuary and the price. I think it was at the time $10.00 for half day, and $15.00 for a full day's use. I asked about a 10 day package deal where I only had to pay once. Nobody knew there, so I went to the Purser's desk and they sent me back to the Sanctuary. Nobody really knew what to do, and to me if I'm willing to pay for the full time up front, it was a no brainer............ Sooooooo needless to say we didn't use that area, but did enjoy the pool and the spa. Oh, and by the way, we saw very few people using the Sanctuary.........baffles:D

Have the Emerald booked again for the opposite leg this December, so we'll see if anybody has figured this out................

Going on the Crown in Oct.....concerning the Sanctuary...do they allow folks to tour/look around it on the 1st day before the ship leaves dock? I would love to look around it before deciding if I want to pay to use it.

Going on the Crown in Oct.....concerning the Sanctuary...do they allow folks to tour/look around it on the 1st day before the ship leaves dock? I would love to look around it before deciding if I want to pay to use it.

You should have no problems. I asked on the Emerald and had no problems. Went in and took as many pictures as I wanted and they answered any questions I had. Also, you can pretty well see it all from the entrance if for some reason it was full of paying passengers and they didn't want you to disturb anyone.

Thanks for that info...I was hoping we could walk around a bit when we first boarded the ship to take a look at the Sanctuary and get some photos. Then we could decide it if would be worth the extra $$ to go there.

What is complimentary in the Sanctuary and what do you have to pay extra for (other than spa services)?

Thanks,

Len

Len,

The Sanctuary is more about peace and quite (and fabulous fat cushions on the loungers ;) ) than anything else. When we sailed there were "serenity stewards" who brought water and offered fruit, that was about the extent of the complimentary services. They have a special menu (which was great) and drinks for the Sanctuary but those will be extra. Still to us it was worth every penny.

Here's the menu:

1042976823_5a29422926.jpg?v=0

Crusdiva: That menu looks interesting. Anyone try the Beef with beets on rye? It sounds truly awful but probably tastes delicious...why else would a combination like that be made??

Yes, it's a nice change from the other lunch choices onboard.

We had the chicken caesar and the greek pinwheels - both were delicious.;)

Thanks everybody for all the replies. Sounds like the peace and quiet of the Sanctuary is very similar to the way that area used to be on the Golden with the soothing music from the Lotus spa playing in the background, except slightly upgraded for a price...

Thanks

Only surrounds it on 3 sides. :)

A quick question. On the menu - was there a charge for the food, or just for the delivery?

We were just on the Island, and they're putting it in. It's on the back of the ship on the two decks above the kids pool. The food and beverage manager for it was still setting up, and he said we wasn't too happy about the proximity to the kids area. There were 2 people there when we went through. They had velvet ropes blocking it off, but you could go around them since the entrance wasn't staffed. At some point, all but one entrance to the area will be blocked with plants. As far as I could tell, they weren't advertising it at all, and the only reason I figured out what it was was from reading cruise critic.

Archived