Live from Insignia May 10- 2008

kathy16

Hello- this is my last night on board, and I am very sad. All the waitstaff in the restaurants were so nice, and I was thoroughly spoiled. My stateroom attendent Goria and her assistant were very special. Before dinner, i was relaxing on my balcony, drinking wine and watching all the boat traffic in Venice go by. On this cruise, it seems that starboard balconies had the best view. The Amalfi tour provider APTours was wonderful, and their price was for 1-3 pax , and 4+ pax. We enjoyed Venice today took a walking tour and a canal boat tour- One day tour in venice- Aventure Belissima- was great. We also did Secret itineraries of Doge Palace, and tomorrow night - the ghost walk in Venice tour.

The other pax on this cruise were wonderful- very friendly. The age demographic was higher than I expected- average age of 70. ( also a few 40-50 yo honeymooners. Most seemed to be celebrating anniversaries.

Next- on to our Venice hotel- Antiche Figure.

I will try to compile more info for those who are interested in my favorites and otherwise, back when I get home, where computer time isn't so expensive.

Kathy when you are back home can you comment on the port & how far it is to San Basilio Vaporetto stop?

Can you access the entry to the ship from the waterfront from the vaporetto stop

Thanks

Lyn

Lyn,

I hope the following two URLs, one to the English text, the other to the Italian text, will give you some information on the ship terminal in Venice, including the San Basilio vaporetto stop:

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/crociere.jsp?n=0

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal.htm

The first gives you a full schematic of the port.

Isidoro

Lyn,

I hope the following two URLs, one to the English text, the other to the Italian text, will give you some information on the ship terminal in Venice, including the San Basilio vaporetto stop:

Isidoro

Thanks I have those also but it is not too clear on how far apart the stop & port is . Looks really close but....;)

Thanks I have those also but it is not too clear on how far apart the stop & port is . Looks really close but....;)

Lyn, our experience is quite different than that described below. As a newcomer to this board I am quite uncomfortable coming with a very different opinion, so I will explain: we were boarding "Venezia", a small ship, doing at that time the Po river cruise from Venice to Cremona.

We came with vaporetto linea 82 from San Zaccaria to San Basilio, which is clearly marked on the map I had posted earlier. As one gets off the vaporetto, there is a wooden bridge and then the access to Autorità Portuale di Venezia, a huge hangar, and then on to the ship which was pretty far away, a long and exhausting walk. No carts or porters were available. If I am correct, the Marittima -where the larger ships anchor- is even farther.

I just urge caution and being well informed.

We are seniors, and it wasn't easy.

There are other options, such as taking a vaporetto to Piazzale Roma or to the S. Lucia train station, and from there a taxi or (from S. Lucia) a shuttle bus.

With hindsight, this is what we should have done.

We came with vaporetto linea 82 from San Zaccaria to San Basilio, which is clearly marked on the map I had posted earlier. As one gets off the vaporetto, there is a wooden bridge and then the access to Autorità Portuale di Venezia, a huge hangar, and then on to the ship which was pretty far away, a long and exhausting walk.

I think the ship docks near the hanger building you describe at S. Basilio pier. I did see the wooden bridge on a google map so that is why I asked if it was really that close or justs looks close.;)

Hey I get lost coming out of the subway so I am hoping it is not too hard to find.

We came with vaporetto linea 82 from San Zaccaria to San Basilio, which is clearly marked on the map I had posted earlier.

This map show where Oceania docks at San Basilio #27 or #29 so it looks close to the vaporetto stop

http://www.vtp.it/pages/pdfMappe/terminalCrociere.pdf

Is it the building (21/22) that you went through?

This map show where Oceania docks at San Basilio #27 or #29 so it looks close to the vaporetto stop

http://www.vtp.it/pages/pdfMappe/terminalCrociere.pdf

Is it the building (21/22) that you went through?

Indeed. The terminal corresponds with #21/22. The actual vaporetto station is a bit more to the right from the words "San Basilio", where the letters ACTV appear, then the bridge, then the Terminal. If Oceania docks at 27 or 29, then the distance is manageable. We were much further back.

It will be much appreciated if you would update this topic when you return.

It will be much appreciated if you would update this topic when you return.

I thought it looked managable if they still dock there next May.

when are you going?

Still in Venice for 2 nights post cruise - staying at Antiche Figure hotel- a 3 star hotel on grand canal near P. Roma and across from Ferrovia (train station). Wonderful small hotel with very friendly and helpful staff.

Oceania docked at #27 San Basile. The vaporetto was within walking distance, but a ways away. We didn't use it, but walked to San Marcro, crossing the canal via a troghetti (sort of gondola) and the Accadamia bridge coming back.

Oceania docked at #27 San Basile. The vaporetto was within walking distance, but a ways away. We didn't use it, but walked to San Marcro, crossing the canal via a troghetti (sort of gondola) and the Accadamia bridge coming back.

Thanks for the info.

We are staying near the Vaporetto stop so will probably be ok to walk to ship.

If not will have to get a piggy back ride from DH!!:D

• 4 weeks later...
Went on private excursion today- catamaran sail for 5 hours- found reviews on these boards before cruise- for sailing in santorini- wonderful way to spend the day and Captain Ted is very personable.

Tomorrow-Athens...

Kathy,

We are on Sept1 Insignia. Could you please tell me more about private Sailing catamaran excursion in Santorini.

Thanks a lot.

Alla

We used Captain Ted Stathis of http://www.santorinisailing.com, It was an absolutely wonderful 5 hour sail from 10a- 3p, including a delicious lunch, and a stop or two for swimming. They also offer a sunset sail. They only take a maximum number of people (maybe 10?), so it is not overcrowded. We had 2 other couples on board besides us (both vacationing on Santorini- we were the only cruise pax. It was so relaxing to sail around, sipping wine and talking to the very interesting other passengers - quite a welcome break from the otherwise seemingly non- stop touring with this very port intensive itinerary. Captain Ted grew up in the US, but has lived in Greece for a while. He is very welcoming and entertaining. There is also wine and beer on board, but there might be an extra charge. Transportation to the boat slip from Fira is available (for an extra charge). I highly recommend this excursion!

In response to a previous post,

We used APTours (http://www.aptours.com)- e-mailed Sarah- very responsive and friendly. The tours were 475 euro for 4-6 people and 550 euro for 7-8 people. The 2 hour private Pompeii guide was 110 euro (which Sarah arranged). We toured in a minivan, which gave a much better, higher view, than a regular vehicle. We only had the two of us on our tour. It was very expensive without other pax to share expenses, but we did get to see exactly what we wanted- I loved it!

Continuing the response to previous requests about the private tours we enjoyed:

Nicholas from rhodesprivatetours.com arranged a driver for us to tour Rhodes and Lindos- Wonderful. He also stopped at a grocery store, so I could buy olive oil, and a selection of Greek wines to take onboard, to enjoy in our stateroom while lounging on the balcony before dinner, watching the sunset.

Also enjoyed http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr with Despina Savvidou- easy to get from the ship via metro (about 25 minute walk from ship to Piraeus metro stop) to the syntagma metro station where the tour began. Nice to see the Acropolis and parthenon with a small walking group.

In Venice, very much enjoyed the Venice walking tour and grand canal boat tour combo . Also make a reservation for Doge secret itineraries tour.

We also reserved an evening at MusicaPalazzo - La Traviata performed in a palazzo- 3 performers, plus musicians, in an intimate setting of about 50 other people, for our last night- Absolutely perfect!

:) :) :)

We used Captain Ted Stathis of www.santorinisailing.com, It was an absolutely wonderful 5 hour sail from 10a- 3p, including a delicious lunch, and a stop or two for swimming. They also offer a sunset sail. They only take a maximum number of people (maybe 10?), so it is not overcrowded. We had 2 other couples on board besides us (both vacationing on Santorini- we were the only cruise pax. It was so relaxing to sail around, sipping wine and talking to the very interesting other passengers - quite a welcome break from the otherwise seemingly non- stop touring with this very port intensive itinerary. Captain Ted grew up in the US, but has lived in Greece for a while. He is very welcoming and entertaining. There is also wine and beer on board, but there might be an extra charge. Transportation to the boat slip from Fira is available (for an extra charge). I highly recommend this excursion!

KATHY,

Thanks a lot.

I would like to know if me and my husband can take this sailing and DO NOT WORRY ABOUT GETTING TOGETHER OTHER 8 PASSENGERS. Kathy, it sounds like you did just that. Please tell me if that was the way you did it (meaning booked the tour just for you and your husband).Please tell me how much did it cost, how and when did you pay and what is their cancellation policy if the weather does not cooperate.

Also how did you get to the catamaran from the dock in Santorini once you have tendered.

Thanks a lot for your time and kindness to share with other people.

Alla and Frank

Hi,

I just e-mailed Captain Ted at above website, and inquired re: availabilty for 2 pax on a semi-private day sail (10a- 3p) for my date. He e-mailed back, said it was available and e-mailed me a form to fill out for a 25% deposit. The cost was 135 euros pp, with additional cost of 7.5 euro pp per way for transportation from Fira to the dock at Vihada marina- about 15 minutes drive away. There is no refund for cancellation or "no show". There is a full refund for cancellation due to "bad weather" at captains discretion. I also had him agree to a refund if the cruise ship was unable to "tender" to santorini. The other passengers aboard the day sail arranged it independently. I imagine that he required a minimum amount of pax for the sail to proceed, unless someone chartered the whole catamaran. He did mention that he was getting another boat also,soon.

The BBQ lunch was great, and he did offer wine and beer. I intended to pay in cash, but he had charged my credit card prior to the sail. I was not happy about it, but I let it go. He did offer to credit the cc. I don't know if he charged extra for the beer and wine(very good) that was available. My total credit card bill was around $450. Expensive, but well worth it for a wonderful day sail.

Kathy

Archived