Quick disembarkation question NYC

gardenbunny

I did a search and think I found my answer, but just to confirm. I have never done the self-disembark - but I would like to be off no later than 9 a.m. to do a quick NYC tour before the flight home (leaves LGA at 3:22) Once they call the self group, can you leave anytime after that? I will be out of the cabin by 8 am but want a quick breakfast before leaving. And I need to tell the driver what time to be there. Thanks.

Depends on whether you are coming into Brooklyn or Manhattan, and if it is the latter it also might make a difference if there are other ships in port.

We were actually walking to our car by 7:30 am when we arrived in Brooklyn on 4/28 at the end of the 4/22 crossing. I think that was unusual though, when we have self-disembarked at Manhattan it has taken until 9am to be off the ship.

We had early disembarcation in N.Y on 10/5/08(english dates) as self help which means you can carry all your luggage YOURSELF the 200 metres off the ship through customs and then to the pick up area which is just outside near the taxi stop.Many people had lots of luggage and managed it. We were off the ship ,through customs and into a taxi by 7.30am,we got dropped off at Wall Street at 7.45am...15$ including 3.5$ tip.

This on a ship where there were 800 people transiting(going back the same day. so no luggage and getting off early).

I did notice the lines growing a little bit while we were waiting the few minutes at customs.

Get up early top deck 13 (i think) on arrival at New York watch the ship go under the bridge.. be up top by 4.40am to be on the safe side. Then either have an early breakfast at 6.00am and then disembark as soon as possible or leave the ship as early as possible (7.15-7.30) and have breakfast in Manhattan(great)..

I wouldnt leave it till any later as the queues might be more unpredictable.

With early disembarcation i think you could easily be off the ship by 7.30-7.45am.

Dont miss coming into N.Y. under the Verrazano narrows bridge always a highlight..........4.40am

Fred&Sian

Fred & Sian - I just replied to your post about the food - And I also want to thank you for help with my disembark question - We are sailing into Brooklyn - I have not sailed out of that new terminal yet - looking forward to it. And I do want to be up early for the arrival into NYC - I had no idea what time but I thought it would be well before the posted 7 a.m. - didn't think 4:40 - but I can do it - we are on deck 8 - 8110 and have an obstructed balcony - but it should work for this event - I am taking a chance with 8110 - deck plans make it appear to be just before the boats. Again, thanks for sharing - all the information I get from the CC board is always very helpful.

Gardenbunny thankyou if we have helped you in any way and Nom de Plumes advice prompted me to say why not forego the fixed car and take a taxi (of which there was an adequate service..5-10 mins wait) and you can take them at any time.

Now that is the way to leave the ship and move around New York and also get to your airport. All i can say is QM2 (check your watch)goes under the bridge at 5.00am..exactly! and docks at 6-6.30am...have early breakfast and be at the exit by 7-7.15am forget about proposed disembarcation times it was always a bit earlier with us.

Have a great trip, try the English "pub" lunch in the Golden Lion a few days (fish and chips...steak and mushroom pie etc):)

I've never tried this before with the car/tour, so I'll let you know how it worked. Thanks for the 5 a.m. alert - someone on another thread said about 4:40 - - taking a line from Penny - it will be so "Affair to Remember-ish"!!! I do love that movie and maybe all this ocean liner nostalgia thing I have somehow rubbed off on me at that early age when I first saw the movie - I'll confess - I still can't watch the ending without crying!!!

Archived