Forcing "casual"?

Too bad we can't exchange clothing with our travel partners, and no one would ever know we wore the same thing twice:)

Another advantage of gay charters.... :D

Well, my partner and I can't really share, different sizes.

Hey, looks like we got ourselves a dress-code thread - Sit down, relax and enjoy the ride! Caution wake turbulence and please remain seated until we've arrived at the gate and the captain has turned off the "fasten seat belt" sign:cool:

:(

Nothing will take the place of a shower and fresh clothes in a warm environment. Some may think me underdressed on formal night (the last tux I wore was 58 years ago on stage), but I will be freshly bathed! :D

:D

And my nose will thank you. :D

I guess I just don't get it. Before our first HAL cruise in February I listened to everyone on the HAL site give me advice regarding formal night. It was what I expected.....formal night, and you chose to go or not to go. And the other nights.....there were indeed passengers in the dining room in jackets and ties, and those in khakis and collared shirts. I always looked at the passengers who were a bit "more" dressed and said "wow, don't they look fantastic." I don't think I ever saw anyone looking out-of-place though because of their clothing. Maybe behavior, but not clothing.

Thank you, Cherie! You're observation matches mine on most of the cruises I've enjoyed. Sure, there are exceptions ... but those are exceptions.

I will be paying the extra baggage charge to bring clothes on our summer vacation that I find appropriate. It is so much easier for a woman to put a silk dress and jacket in a suitcase than a man to put a tux or suit. Too bad we can't exchange clothing with our travel partners, and no one would ever know we wore the same thing twice:)

:D ... there's nothing wrong with wearing the same thing twice ... but if you CAN trade clothing with friends, why not!!!??? :D

I don't think that those of us who are new to HAL are trying to do away with long standing dress codes and traditions, we just want to know that we are dressed appropriately, and like to know what the range of dress is.

Thank you for your input on this subject, and for asking!

Hey, looks like we got ourselves a dress-code thread - Sit down, relax and enjoy the ride! Caution wake turbulence and please remain seated until we've arrived at the gate and the captain has turned off the "fasten seat belt" sign:cool:

LOL ... thus far this thread has been fairly calm and pleasant. :D Not much turbulence.

I guess I just don't get it. Before our first HAL cruise in February I listened to everyone on the HAL site give me advice regarding formal night. It was what I expected.....formal night, and you chose to go or not to go. And the other nights.....there were indeed passengers in the dining room in jackets and ties, and those in khakis and collared shirts. I always looked at the passengers who were a bit "more" dressed and said "wow, don't they look fantastic." I don't think I ever saw anyone looking out-of-place though because of their clothing. Maybe behavior, but not clothing.

I will be paying the extra baggage charge to bring clothes on our summer vacation that I find appropriate. It is so much easier for a woman to put a silk dress and jacket in a suitcase than a man to put a tux or suit. Too bad we can't exchange clothing with our travel partners, and no one would ever know we wore the same thing twice:)

I don't think that those of us who are new to HAL are trying to do away with long standing dress codes and traditions, we just want to know that we are dressed appropriately, and like to know what the range of dress is.

Cherie

Very well said,Cherie:) !

I always knew about renting the tuxedos on board , but not about womens dresses.

A tux is no big deal. Its pretty much standard issue, just give them your measurements and you are good to go.

But I can't see most women (at least not my wife) just blindly showing up and taking what is on teh rack, or calling a ahead and saying save me something in a size whatever.

Actually, when we first started cruising I didn't own any formal wear. I bought a few sparkly tops and rented the formal skirt and heels from the formalwear place. The heels are Oleg Cassini they were very nice and quite comfortable ( and saved alot of packing space). The long black skirt was crepe de chine and also quite nice. No one looked at me askance because I wore the rented items.

Now of course I have my own formalwear. But when I needed it I found the rental wear to be more than acceptable.

Where is it written that you can't wear the same thing twice? :confused:

You certainly can if you want - for rule followers this is definitely NOT written:) .

Most women who enjoy clothes like to vary what they wear. Wearing the same oufit twice in (say) a one or two-week span for a special occasion (such as formal nite) is anticlimactic. Been there, done that, want something different. If I want to go to more than one formal nite, I will bring something different for each occasion.

Where is it written that you can't wear the same thing twice? :confused:

I'll tell you a secret. I've worn the same thing three or four times on a cruise ... after appropriate launderings, of course.

Hey, I ain't trying to impress anyone by making them think I have more clothes than I really do. In short, this is what I have ... I think it's fine ... and if some people don't like it, well ... hey, they don't have to hang out with me, right? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Actually, when we first started cruising I didn't own any formal wear. I bought a few sparkly tops and rented the formal skirt and heels from the formalwear place. The heels are Oleg Cassini they were very nice and quite comfortable ( and saved alot of packing space). The long black skirt was crepe de chine and also quite nice. No one looked at me askance because I wore the rented items.

Now of course I have my own formalwear. But when I needed it I found the rental wear to be more than acceptable.

Heavens Kakalina, the last thing I would do is look at anyone askance because of what they were wearing. I didn't mean to give that impression and I am sorry!:o

I frankly despise rinsing out clothes in the sink to (hopefully) dry overnight. I don't wash clothes by hand at home, why would I do it on vacation? (to paraphrase some people when they comment about why they don't use the ship's washing machines).

So I'd love to hear how someone packs 14 pairs of underwear, etc. in one suitcase for a two week cruise.

I frankly despise rinsing out clothes in the sink to (hopefully) dry overnight. I don't wash clothes by hand at home, why would I do it on vacation? (to paraphrase some people when they comment about why they don't use the ship's washing machines).

So I'd love to hear how someone packs 14 pairs of underwear, etc. in one suitcase for a two week cruise.

I never do laundry at home. Don't even know how to operate the washer and dryer. Dad takes care of that stuff and likes doing it because it keeps him busy.

Now, while I would love to bring him along on my next cruise, he won't go. So, I have to make do. I too hate rinsing clothes out in the sink just as much as I hate doing laundry, but I'll do what I have to do. Underwear will usually be done onboard on a seaday, as will tee-shirts and stuff like that. Most HAL ships do have self-service laundries that are very reasonable to use, and people are generally very helpful and will tell you what buttons you need to push. :)

For stuff that needs to be ironed, I will send a couple of bags (all you can stuff in the bag deals) out during the course of the cruise. That's how I will get by with two pieces of checked luggage on a 35-day cruise (plus a four-day Carnival one preceding the 35-day HAL one).

Blue skies ...

--rita

Similarly, when I first started cruising as an adult in 1994 I didn't own any "formal wear" -- i.e., no Tuxedo. I took my first cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam to celebrate the successful defense of my doctoral dissertation; all I had was a black jacket, grey slacks, white shirt and tie. I was welcomed, warmly, by everybody aboard ship and at my table ... but I, personally, felt a little bit "out of place" because, back then, most men were in Tuxedos and my parents and grandfather looked fabulous in their formal attire. Subsequent cruises I brought a black suit and clericals and didn't feel nearly as "out of place," but it wasn't until 1999 that I finally bought a Tuxedo.

I don't. I always pack for 10 days, no matter the length of the cruise, and then either send clothing out to be laundered by the ship's staff OR (if there's a self-service Laundromat aboard) I take my undies to it and have them done.

That's how I will get by with two pieces of checked luggage on a 35-day cruise (plus a four-day Carnival one preceding the 35-day HAL one).

You'll have to re-think that, since I'll be hiding out in one of those bags. :D

You certainly can if you want - for rule followers this is definitely NOT written:) .

Most women who enjoy clothes like to vary what they wear. Wearing the same oufit twice in (say) a one or two-week span for a special occasion (such as formal nite) is anticlimactic. Been there, done that, want something different. If I want to go to more than one formal nite, I will bring something different for each occasion.

So far I haven't run into anyone who even notices, let alone cares, what I wear. If you have a favorite dress or two, go with those- after all, DH gets away with wearing the same outfit each formal night, and we only like to take the luggage we can handle ourselves. For a recent 39 day cruise we traveled with two suitcases and two carryons. Usually we only have the two suitcases and one carryon between us for shorter cruises.

Well, who would have thought that a sentence with a smiley face at the end would cause problems? Not Me. I guess I just don't know which smiley face to post. I was actually indicating that I do wear things more than once, but wouldn't it be fun to be able to share?

I love my formal night attire and have worn it on the last four cruises. On our Zuiderdam cruise I thought I would switch it up and buy a second outfit. The kids burst out laughing when I showed it to them because it was just about the same as the one I always take. Oh well, I tried. I just tend to change the jacket and accessories. I really don't care if someone wears the same thing every night!!

But....for those who are seriously trying to pack less I think there have been posts about the space bags. If weight is not the issue, these seem to be a good answer. And then, if necessary, use the onboard pressing and laundry service. I know I am incredibly challenged for our summer travel packing and welcome all suggestions. The 50 pound bag does not intimidate me, but the "only one bag" is a challenge.

Cherie

Ahoy!

We get by with one check in each and carry-ons whether it be a 10 day or 25+ day cruise. We usually take a lightweight duffel to use as another check-in for the return trip home (guess will spend the 25 clams; no big deal). We also use the unlimited pressing deal & "stuff the blue bag" for laundry services while aboard. Hence, only 6 days worth of skivvies and such packed.

My DW sewed up some convertible dresses (red, black & yellow) several years ago (Simplicity pattern?) that she uses for dress up nights with just some black heels, jewlery and lightweight wrap of some sort.

The only example of the dress I could find is here:

http://www.latindancefashions.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=123_125_111_113&products_id=860

She made her's with a longer hem line(?) for a more formal look (ankle / floor length?). She "knots" it up or moves one thing or another around and it gives a variety of looks. Keeps her happy (and that's all that really counts).

Very lightweight (thank God!). Thus, her bag usually weighs in at < 50#.

Bon Voyage, Good Health & Pack Less!

Bob:)

Everyone is so convinced its $25 per second bag . . . US maybe . . . not Europe!! If the cruise line decides to save a few bucks, as RCCL did with me, and not book your intra - EU leg in conjunction with your trans-atlantic ticket, and doesn't bother to tell you about the single bag limitation, it can cost BIG bucks! $210 last year in my case! So don't assume it's just $25. $25 is a bottle of wine: OK no big deal, but do you buy $210 bottles of wine?

Regards, Richard

Everyone is so convinced its $25 per second bag . . . US maybe . . . not Europe!! If the cruise line decides to save a few bucks, as RCCL did with me, and not book your intra - EU leg in conjunction with your trans-atlantic ticket, and doesn't bother to tell you about the single bag limitation, it can cost BIG bucks! $210 last year in my case! So don't assume it's just $25. $25 is a bottle of wine: OK no big deal, but do you buy $210 bottles of wine?

Your word of caution is worth paying attention to, particularly for those who are paying the Cruise Line to make air-travel arrangements for them.

I arranged my own air-transit for the Eurodam Inaugural cruises. American Airlines and their One World Partner, British Airways, do not charge the extra $25 one-way for International Flights. I've checked with regard to my specific itinerary, and my flights DFW - LHR - AMS and then return home CPH - LHR - DFW all fall under the exclusions on the extra baggage charge. And, even if that were not the case, I'm an AA Gold Member, and AA doesn't charge that extra-bag charge for their Gold Members.

Nevertheless, your warning is good to note for future reference. $210 is painful, indeed. But, if that's what it costs ... then, that's what it costs. That doesn't mean one has to like it.

RevNeal - Thank you for all of your encouraging posts. After our Med cruise the kids and I will be off to Botswana for work in a couple of children's homes, so....I'm trying to make sure we have everything we need for our cruise and for the children in Botswana. $210 is substantial, maybe worth sending things ahead. This might also be an option for other cruisers. Possibly send things to your pre-cruise hotel and everything will be ready for departure? Cherie

Archived